Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

No Fernando Martinez Thread?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

The guy's been DFA'd for nearly 24 hours now and I haven't seen one post requesting his services. I thought every time his name came up, a Pavlovian response caused Twins fans to commence drooling.

I guess times have changed since he was last DFA'd. It seemed to me that ever since the Mets told the Twins "No" regarding his availability in a Santana trade, he got ten times more desirable. That of course is the same response I get from my two-year-old when I refuse him something.

#2 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

The OF is pretty stacked for the Twins already. I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him if the Twins wanted to give Hicks some time in the minors.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,115 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

He's a corner outfielder, which isn't exactly a position the Twins are crying out to fill. Getting waived twice by age 24 seems like a red flag. But to my eye his minor league stats project to something maybe similar to Willingham eventually, which would be nothing to sneeze at for free.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'm pretty blah either way. I just wanted to reminisce about Fernandomania (the lame one, not the one about the fat Dodger 30 years ago).

I suppose getting DFA'd twice by the time you're 24 has something to do with the Mets liking to start the clock early on their prospects. I'm a loudmouth when it comes to the Twins laborious development, but this surely is a cautionary tale.

Of course it took Carlos Gomez six years but he has turned into a really good player. Did anyone notice he is currently leading the NL in average? Stunned.