Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Official New Britain Rock Cats roster

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

http://www.newbritai...b2862426364.txt

2012 NB ROCKATS ROSTER

Pitchers

Andrew Albers
David Bromberg
Logan Darnell
Luke French
Deolis Guerra
Steve Hirschfeld
Brett Jacobson
Bobby Lanigan
Blake Martin
Lester Oliveros
Luis Perdomo
Daniel Turpen
Alex Wimmers

Catchers - Chris Herrmann, Danny Lehmann
1B - Chris Colabello, Nate Hanson
2B - Estarlin De Los Santos, Darin Mastrioianni
SS - James Beresford, Pedro Florimon
3B - Deibinson Romero
OF - Evan Bigley, Mark Dolenc, Aaron Hicks
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#2 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Excited to see Wimmers on the roster.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

That's the roster I have for New Britain, but was told that it is subject to change. I was surprised (somewhat) yesterday to hear that Bromberg will be pitching out of the bullpen, at least to start the season. So, I would guess the starting 5 would be: Darnell, French, Hirschfeld, Lanigan and Wimmers?

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Guerra still not good enough to be at AAA....bummer.
Lighten up Francis....

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Possibly, and they have so many givens in Rochester that it just makes sense to leave him where he first started experiencing success just a couple of months at the end of last season.

#6 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thats a lot of pitchers

#7 Rosey

Rosey

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

So...Mastrioianni is being moved from the OF to 2B?

#8 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Looks to me like a very good pitching staff, with solid defense. At first glance, the hitting looks a bit marginal, expecially after having Benson, Parmelee, Dozier and Solarte last year. But after looking at it for awhile, Herrmann, Mastrioanni, Dolenc and Bigley all should be solid. Beresford gets on base a lot and Colabello tore the cover the ball last year in an Independant league. Expect Herrmann will see half his time in the outfield or DH with Lehmann, then Lehmann will DH alot when Herrmann catches. If Hicks can step forward and hit close to .300 with a little pop, could be another team that will battle for a playoff spot.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

So...Mastrioianni is being moved from the OF to 2B?

Yes, but with just three OF on the roster, he'll get plenty of time out there too, I'm sure.

#10 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

I suppose in a perfect world, Herrmann isn't there past midyear?

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I suppose in a perfect world, Herrmann isn't there past midyear?

Yeah, that would be great... although certainly not mandatory (see Parmelee)... the issue will be that if the Twins don't keep 3 catchers, Rochester will have Butera, Towles and Rivera. Herrmann would split time up there. He'll play almost daily in New Britain, which is important.

#12 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

So this puts 25 guys on the New Brit roster. Am I wrong or is the minor league roster limit 24?

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Twins have promoted a lot of guys from AA to majors, esp bullpen arms. I'm not concerned about that at all.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

So this puts 25 guys on the New Brit roster. Am I wrong or is the minor league roster limit 24?

Changed to 25 this year.

#15 ssmart

ssmart

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

John, Seth ... Are Butera and Rivera holding back Herrmann and Lehmann's development at the AAA level? When is the time to cut whose 2 lose, and give the kids a chance?

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

John, Seth ... Are Butera and Rivera holding back Herrmann and Lehmann's development at the AAA level? When is the time to cut whose 2 lose, and give the kids a chance?

Last year. I don't mean to be flip, but I don't understand the catching situation at all with this organization. Herrmann, Lehman, and Rohfling (Rohlfing?) have the chance to be at least above average overall. Rivera and Butera do not. At all.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

I think that Herrmann, assuming things go well in New Britain, should be the primary starter in Rochester by the middle of this year, although it doesn't hurt him at all to spend this full year at New Britain. He'll be fine, but he didn't dominate AA last year, so it's good for him to get another half-season there. Lehmann is already about 27, so I don't know if he's got any more development. Personally, he's so well respected by pitchers in the organization. He's been the Twins minor league catcher of the year the past three years. In my opinion, he's on par with the three in Rochester, but i want him working with better prospects.

#18 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

That's a problem solved easily enough. When Herrmann is ready, they just drop/demote one of the other guys - and that's if the Twins don't call up a 3rd catcher, which I can also see happening. I can argue it's wise two different ways... 1) When the primary catchers for the major league team are Mauer & Doumit, two guys with SIGNIFICANT injury histories, an organization should probably be cautious about discarding catchers. 2) Herrmann had a monster AFL, but it certainly isn't clear from his numbers that he mastered AA. Or at least, with a .258 BA and a .392 SLG, it looks like he could still learn a few things there.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

http://www.newbritai...b2862426364.txt

2012 NB ROCKATS ROSTER

Pitchers

Andrew Albers
David Bromberg
Logan Darnell
Luke French
Deolis Guerra
Steve Hirschfeld
Brett Jacobson
Bobby Lanigan
Blake Martin
Lester Oliveros
Luis Perdomo
Daniel Turpen
Alex Wimmers

Catchers - Chris Herrmann, Danny Lehmann
1B - Chris Colabello, Nate Hanson
2B - Estarlin De Los Santos, Darin Mastrioianni
SS - James Beresford, Pedro Florimon
3B - Deibinson Romero
OF - Evan Bigley, Mark Dolenc, Aaron Hicks

By the way, how do you construct a lineup with this roster? I am pretty skeptical of de Los Santos, Romero, and Dolenc. Bigley might be on the downward slope as well. Mastrioianni-Herrmann-Hicks-Romero-Bigley-Hanson-Colabello-Lehmann-Beresford?

At least the pitching staff looks quite good.

#20 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

That's a problem solved easily enough. When Herrmann is ready, they just drop/demote one of the other guys - and that's if the Twins don't call up a 3rd catcher, which I can also see happening. I can argue it's wise two different ways...

1) When the primary catchers for the major league team are Mauer & Doumit, two guys with SIGNIFICANT injury histories, an organization should probably be cautious about discarding catchers.

2) Herrmann had a monster AFL, but it certainly isn't clear from his numbers that he mastered AA. Or at least, with a .258 BA and a .392 SLG, it looks like he could still learn a few things there.

I understand what you and Seth are saying. I would just greatly prefer prospects getting time and thus would rather have Lehmann catching most of the time at AAA, Herrmann at AA, and so on to start.