Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: "Opening Day is One Week Away" Roster Projections

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ter-Projections

#2 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

Wow, this is exactly what I think the roster will be. Biggest questions is if Baker and Marquis are going to be starting right away.
I bent my wookie...

#3 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

Can't argue with what you have projected, Seth. I can still imagine Gardy going with three catchers (if so, hopefully Towles as #3), probably at the expense of Burroughs. I am excited for the season to begin. If the starting pitching is decent, it should be a good year.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

That's about right.. Still think that it might be Hollimon over Burroughs. Looks like Baker will be placed on the DL retroactive to 3/27. He will pitch a minor league game tomorrow so it will not count for DL placement
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Seth, I see that the New Britain roster was announced last night (online at the New Britain Herald). Several surprises of who is, and isn't, on the roster. Biggest surprises to me were that Oliveros, Perdomo and French are all on the pitching staff. Also a bit of a surprise that Mastroianni is in New Britain...listed as a second baseman. They only have three outfielders, however, so expect Mastroianni will see some time in the outfield. D. J. Romero is back as their third baseman.

#6 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Holy irrational fear of losing a catcher for the day. I don't get Gardy's obsession. If Mauer gets injured in a game where Doumit is DH'ing, you lose what, 2 at bats max where a pitcher has to bat?!?! Who cares!! Call up someone from AAA the next day if needed. The idea of carrying an inferior bat (Drew) just in the off chance they need the pitcher to bat (whom probably can hit better than Butera anyway) is just plain dumb.

#7 Hater

Hater

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Let's be clear here - Seth is a total Twins fan... BUT... He loves the minor leaguers. Kyle Waldrop was a favorite to make the team? Please dude, you have been raving about his ground ball rate since 2009. The guy is cannon fodder. Can we also get over Luke Hughes playing second base? Yeah, I'm sure he will play there which sucks, with an UZR of -100 but be realistic. The guy has shown nothing (until now hitting 50abs) that makes him a starter. He can't field any postion! It's like saying Eddie Rosario will be our starting second baseman of the future because the Twins are going to try them out there.

#8 woolhouse

woolhouse

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

I would say that the biggest advantage to having a third catcher is it gives flexibility to get Doumit in the lineup more often. I would rather see Doumit getting extra at-bats then Burroughs. Luke Hughes can play third, Casilla (and, in a pinch, Plouffe) can play short, and it seems everyone can fill in at third. I'm for the extra catcher... or, I should say, I'm for Towles as the third catcher. A bat off the bench with some hope for some pop.

#9 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

I agree with sorney. If the twins lose their DH for a few innings is it that big of a deal to move Mauer to catcher for Doumit for a few innings. Its not like they are going to miss the offense. I am sure one of the pitchers could hit a weak grounder to second just as good as Butera could.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

Seth, I see that the New Britain roster was announced last night (online at the New Britain Herald). Several surprises of who is, and isn't, on the roster. Biggest surprises to me were that Oliveros, Perdomo and French are all on the pitching staff. Also a bit of a surprise that Mastroianni is in New Britain...listed as a second baseman. They only have three outfielders, however, so expect Mastroianni will see some time in the outfield. D. J. Romero is back as their third baseman.

Roger, I have all of the minor league rosters as they sit today... I haven't posted them yet because they are subject to change for a couple more days. But you're right, there are several surprises on that roster... but for me, there are biggers surprises at the lower levels, and a TON of players staying for extended spring training.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Kyle Waldrop was a favorite to make the team? Please dude, you have been raving about his ground ball rate since 2009. The guy is cannon fodder.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who was saying that he was the favorite for that final spot within the last week, up until his elbow issue.

Here's a story that was just published by Phil Mackey, with lots of quotes: http://www.1500espn....ith_Twins033012

Edited by Seth Stohs, 30 March 2012 - 08:44 AM.
Added link

#12 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Agreed, a pitcher hitting one or two tomes is mo worse than butera hitting. Really dumb to keep him on the roster for that tiny chance of a problem.

#13 Hater

Hater

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Unfortunately for Waldrop, he had done enough this spring -- and over his last two years in the minor leagues -- to earn a spot on the 25-man roster heading into the season opener - thats the quote I see from Phil Mackey. It's not referenced where he got that assumption. Even though Alex Burnett has sucked all i've heard is they want him for the 7th spot even before Waldrop got hurt. Waldrop stats from 2010/2011 back it up? AAA ball 2011 79IP 84H! Only 43Ks! Laughable! AND despite being a ground ball pitcher he gave up 7 jacks in AAA ball. But he has earned it... NOPE!

#14 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

If the Twins plan on Morneau at DH most days, it really minimizes the need for a third C. If Doumit is in RF or Mauer at 1B, they can move to C without issue, eliminating Gardy's phobia of having a pitcher hit.

#15 mattsaari

mattsaari

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

So who's the backup shortstop? The starting 2B? What sense does it make to have 6 1Bs and 1 SS? Burroughs spot should go to someone who can play short. Unless they are comfortable with Luke and Trevor being the backups there.

#16 lee_the_twins_fan

lee_the_twins_fan

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

I find it ironic that the Twins have four players listed as 2B who are batting .361 or higher in spring training (including one with only 5 ab), but only one of those (Hughes) is expected to make the roster.

#17 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

I find it ironic that the Twins have four players listed as 2B who are batting .361 or higher in spring training (including one with only 5 ab), but only one of those (Hughes) is expected to make the roster.

Ironic? I don't think so. Contrary to popular belief, its not "All About the O".

#18 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

So who's the backup shortstop? The starting 2B? What sense does it make to have 6 1Bs and 1 SS? Burroughs spot should go to someone who can play short. Unless they are comfortable with Luke and Trevor being the backups there.

TRyan says Casilla is having a MRI on his right knee, hoping it's not serious.

Sounds like another multi-month DL trip for a guy who has never played 100 games in a season.

#19 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

TRyan says Casilla is having a MRI on his right knee, hoping it's not serious.

Sounds like another multi-month DL trip for a guy who has never played 100 games in a season.

I hope not too. I assume that would mean Dozier's ticket is punched, probably as the starter at second base, (or possibly at shortstop with Carroll moving to second.)

#20 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

So is it pretty much the case that Revere will be a late inning defensive replacement for Willingham, pinch runner, and backup to Span? Looks like they don't need or want him in right at all.

#21 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

According to LaVelleNeal3, Kyle Waldrop has been place of the 15 day disabled list.

#22 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'm also guessing that with only two catchers and the announcement about Morneau DHing that Mauer is not going to see much time as a DH, but I wonder about Doumit. Do we expect that he is the starting right fielder and the back up to Mauer or will he be a more traditional backup catcher - with Plouffe in right?

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

The curse of "Seth's Projected Roster." Last week, I moved Manship into the mix with Waldrop for the final spots in the bullpen. Manship got hit hard that afternoon... Waldrop came down with an elbow problem... This week, I put Jeff Gray on the list for the first time, and he's getting hit pretty hard... Might mean Alex Burnett afterall... or Casey Fien?

#24 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

Seth posted above that he's surprised at who is being held back for extended spring? It's not a good sign when Seth thinks they are moving guys slower than he expected....

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

So is it pretty much the case that Revere will be a late inning defensive replacement for Willingham, pinch runner, and backup to Span? Looks like they don't need or want him in right at all.

I think that's the signal we're reading, and is appropriate use for a young three-tool player.

#26 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

I saw the game today in Dunedin and Parmalee looked really good at the plate. Hit a solid single and a long home run over the right center wall. Definitely ready for the next step. The swing was very powerful. When we arrived at the park, Gardy was signing autographs and taking pictures with the fans along the 3rd base line. I have criticized Grady in the past--but he was sure good with the fans.

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Seth posted above that he's surprised at who is being held back for extended spring? It's not a good sign when Seth thinks they are moving guys slower than he expected....

I think that the biggest surprises there might be Hudson Boyd and Travis Harrison staying for EST ;)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 cy1time

cy1time

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

Am I the only one here that thinks that Parmalee needs some ABs at AAA? I agree that he had a great September and has had a decent spring, but his minor league career he's a.266/.355/.436 hitter. I don't see how he's going to fare very well playing everyday with that track record. I hope that I'm wrong. [TABLE="class: sortable stats_table"] [TR="class: stat_total hl"] [TD="align: right"][/TD] [TD="align: right"][/TD] [TD="align: right"][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

#29 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Seth, by TON of players please tell me that you aren't talking about Sano and/or Rosario, a fear I've had since last fall.

#30 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Seth, by TON of players please tell me that you aren't talking about Sano and/or Rosario, a fear I've had since last fall.

Sano and Rosario will be in Beloit. I have been told by a few peope high up that Sano and Rosario will be starting the year in Beloit, the players that are likely questionable to stay back are all the college pitchers that the Twins drafted last year, combined with all the pitchers that were in Beloit for half the year are likely to cause problems for the organization. Atherton,Acther,O Rourke,Tonkin,Carter,Shibuya,Williams,Boer,Gruver,Johnson,Kimes,Summers
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932