Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: My Love for Video Games-OOTP '14

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...o-Games-OOTP-14

#2 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Video games notwithstanding A.J., congratulations to a hell of a beginning to your year in Fort Myers!

#3 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Video games notwithstanding A.J., congratulations to a hell of a beginning to your year in Fort Myers!

Thanks Roger! Hope all is well!

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

From last night's minor league update:

"[COLOR=#3E3E3E]AJ Pettersen went 2-5 to extend his hitting streak to ten games. He is hitting .370 during that stretch.[/COLOR]" Add in four walks to just three strikeouts. 3 doubles and a homer! Not too shabby!

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

(Comments posted in the Community Blogs section don't seem to make it over here to the articles/forums area, so I'm re-posting here. Maybe RP can explain why this happens.)

I've played OOTP enough to love it, and eventually come to critique aspects of it that are too easy to exploit. One can put the setting to higher difficulty, of course, but that seems to make it unrealistic in a different extreme. Still, as an inveterate tinkerer, I found the game very very addictive for days at a time.

I've played Strat-O-Matic only as the dice-game version, starting way back in the 70's or so, and again when my sons were old enough to enjoy it. (Never got my daughter into it - or my wife for that matter - go figure.)

Before we discovered SOM, by brother and I devised our own randomized game based on our baseball cards' stats. Much cruder than the commercial products that we didn't know about yet, but for kids around 10 or 12 years old it wasn't bad.

All this is basically to say: welcome to the crowd. :)

#6 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Haven't yet tried out OOTP, but have played Baseball Mogul for a while (Sports Mogul Inc.). I'd guess they're very similar, though OOTP looks quite a bit more refined as far as presentation.

What song did you pick for your at-bat music this year, A.J.? Atmosphere "YGM"?!?! q;)

#7 AJPettersen

AJPettersen

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Haven't yet tried out OOTP, but have played Baseball Mogul for a while (Sports Mogul Inc.). I'd guess they're very similar, though OOTP looks quite a bit more refined as far as presentation.

What song did you pick for your at-bat music this year, A.J.? Atmosphere "YGM"?!?! q;)

I was going to tweet at you, but I forgot. I went with your suggestion!

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm a mogul player and actually run an online league if there is any interest. Three (real time) years and going strong! I liked OOTP, but just too involved for me to find time to invest in it.

#9 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,238 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

I couldn't even begin to count how many hundreds of seasons I've run through OOTP, in dozens of leagues in all sorts of configurations. I never play with the MLB setup though, the structure, the teams, or the players, it's all about the fictional setup for me.

#10 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Great game. As Snepp hints, there is probably a lot more flexibility, depth, and customization than in Mogul.

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

No doubt it has more depth. I utilize mogul as an online interactive sim as opposed to single player. Single player mogul is a joke next to OOTP.

#12 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

No doubt it has more depth. I utilize mogul as an online interactive sim as opposed to single player. Single player mogul is a joke next to OOTP.

Online play offers the same kinds of experiences, too, but if you like Mogul, there's nothing wrong with that either.

#13 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Online play offers the same kinds of experiences, too, but if you like Mogul, there's nothing wrong with that either.

I tried OOTP solo and that's where the sheer overwhelming nature of OOTP turned me off. The user interface for that game was like a damn schematic to me at first and by the time I had it down some of the quirks of it just got annoying to me. It's one thing to make a game challenging to succeed at, it's another to make it mind numbing to even do menial tasks. I hear this was improved since I tried (3-4 years ago) so I might have to give it another crack.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 28 April 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I tried OOTP solo and that's where the sheer overwhelming nature of OOTP turned me off. The user interface for that game was like a damn schematic to me at first and by the time I had it down some of the quirks of it just got annoying to me. It's one thing to make a game challenging to succeed at, it's another to make it mind numbing to even do menial tasks. I hear this was improved since I tried (3-4 years ago) so I might have to give it another crack.

You do have to play it enough so that certain routine operations become rote. Which can become a circular argument, if you don't quite reach that threshold.

#15 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Top notch game. I think some of the older iterations of OOTP are available for free or dirt cheap, if you want to wet your toe. As Levi says the game can be overwhelming, but the depth is unrivaled and worth the investment.

#16 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, I get that. You can have the computer manage a lot of things for you to start and then add in things you'd like to do slowly. If you get back into it, I can certainly give you some ideas if you need them.

As far as making it more challenging, I've found that the more realistic you make the game the more challenging it becomes. For example, make scouts less reliable and/or do a "stats" only type of league.

#17 FlsPrpht

FlsPrpht

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Lolz..."[COLOR=#3E3E3E]an online game called [/COLOR]Strat-O-Matic Baseball" that games's been out since the 70s I think as a previous commenter said with dice.

#18 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

I was going to tweet at you, but I forgot. I went with your suggestion!

Sweet! It's a high-energy intro that kinda amps me up, looks like it might be doing the same for you! Keep it up man, you guys are doing great!

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#19 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Game is pretty fun, but I had to turn the injuries down to very low. I played as the Rangers and lost every starter except Darvish and Moreland to injury. Kinda weird that everybody would get injured for a long period of time, Mark DeRosa couldn't carry the slack...

#20 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Game is pretty fun, but I had to turn the injuries down to very low. I played as the Rangers and lost every starter except Darvish and Moreland to injury. Kinda weird that everybody would get injured for a long period of time, Mark DeRosa couldn't carry the slack...

I think the classic setting works just fine. Like the Twins last year, your team just became crippled. I doubt the issue was league wide or from season to season.

#21 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

(Comments posted in the Community Blogs section don't seem to make it over here to the articles/forums area, so I'm re-posting here. Maybe RP can explain why this happens.)

I've played OOTP enough to love it, and eventually come to critique aspects of it that are too easy to exploit. One can put the setting to higher difficulty, of course, but that seems to make it unrealistic in a different extreme. Still, as an inveterate tinkerer, I found the game very very addictive for days at a time.

I've played Strat-O-Matic only as the dice-game version, starting way back in the 70's or so, and again when my sons were old enough to enjoy it. (Never got my daughter into it - or my wife for that matter - go figure.)

Before we discovered SOM, by brother and I devised our own randomized game based on our baseball cards' stats. Much cruder than the commercial products that we didn't know about yet, but for kids around 10 or 12 years old it wasn't bad.

All this is basically to say: welcome to the crowd. :)

Strato makes life worth living.

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Strato makes life worth living.

You should apply for a job as their marketing guy. :)

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

I decided to try their historical feature, so I started with 1913. The next season Babe Ruth was available in the draft so I grabbed him. He wasn't real good that next season (age 19), and then the next season he got an injury that took a few days to diagnose. When the diagnosis mail came, it was a torn labrum, and "unfortunately it is a career ending injury." Oh well, easy come, easy go.

Kind of funny when you do those historical leagues to see a guy get injured and require Tommy John surgery that keeps him out for a year.