Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Which Free Agent should the Twins have signed?

aaron hicks
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Anorthagen

Anorthagen

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

On Bleacherreports.com there is an article that goes over each team and says what kind of free agent they should have pursued.

It did give credit to Hicks for winning the starting CF job out of spring training, but it said we should have gone after a reliable CF, after Hcks slow start.

But would the Twins really do that?

Here's the article
Free-Agent Moves Each MLB Team Should Have Made This Offseason | Bleacher Report

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

It depends. Give the Twins a "real" centerfielder and it might become too easy to slot him in every day instead of giving Hicks/Arcia/Benson/etc. a shot at the role.

How important is it for the Twins to win 80 games this season? I'd say "not very", because they did so little to solidify the rotation in favor of rolling the dice a bunch of times on guys who were pretty bad, injured, or both. Sure, it has looked pretty good thus far but there's still 90% of the baseball season to be played.

Even though I was mildly against Hicks starting the season in Minnesota, at some point the team is going to have to let the youngsters take their lumps against MLB pitching. Add too many veterans and that becomes increasingly difficult, especially if the manager is putting a high priority on winning 75 games instead of 70 games.

And, honestly, would we even care about this if Mastrioanni was healthy? Going into the season, most of us were willing to swallow some mediocre-to-bad play in CF if it meant that Hicks, Arcia, & Co got playing time later in the season. If Darin wasn't injured, he'd probably be posting "good enough" numbers as an interim for Hicks later in the season.

#3 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I refuse to click on bleacher report as a rule. Who did they suggest to sign as a cf stopgap? I thought it could have made sense but I didn't recall any options that were better than Mastro.

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Again, who knew that Mastro would turn up lame, Hicks would start the season limping, Benson would literally die, and the other candidates can't find a space on the 40-man, unless you bump bench bat Ramirez. Sign a free-agent? Maybe Juan Pierre, but the Twins didn't need to lock in a body for more than a year, otherwise, just keep one of the two you maybe traded,
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I refuse to click on bleacher report as a rule.

I won't click them either. Who's idea is it to put everything in a slideshow format? Thank you, no. Every item on a list does not need it's own page.

#6 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm not advocating either, but I've heard Andres Torres suggested. Probably could have swung a Julio Borbon deal.

I like the Twins approach here, though. Give Hicks a shot to win the job if he has a good spring, and keep the underrated Mastroianni as a cheap fallback option.

(With Mastro's injury, I would have liked to see them be more aggressive in picking up Borbon, though, because we are pretty thin now for CF coverage.)

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

I won't click them either. Who's idea is it to put everything in a slideshow format? Thank you, no. Every item on a list does not need it's own page.

One of the WORST TRENDS in web design and development. Half the time, the slideshows don't even generate additional pageviews (and therefore, revenue), as they're an in-page JS/JQ element.

It's as if their sole purpose is to annoy the userbase. Just awful.

#8 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,148 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

I give slideshows the same treatment I give obnoxious commercials.

*click*

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I give slideshows the same treatment I give obnoxious commercials.

*click*

Slideshows are just fine... If you're using actual slides. Of images. Without text.

(okay, so you can use a little text, just don't make it the focus of the piece)

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Benson would literally die

Link, please? I must have this for my adopt-a-prospect page, literally.

#11 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

HAha. You guys beat me to the rage against bleacherreport. It is by far the worst thing on the web. But they must have someone working there that is related to someone working at google; I say this because 8 of the top 10 items on all sports searches are from bleacherreport.com. That and every article is written by some yack off living in his parents basement. "Top 10 reasons the Twins will be better than last year." They should write more about "Top 10 reasons I don't get laid: number 1: I write stories on bleacherreport.com"

#12 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,148 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

The Vikings Update forum has bleacherreport on the naughty word filter list to keep people from linking to it. I always find that amusing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron hicks