Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Eduardo Escobar Should Start at Short

eduardo escobar minnesota twins pedro florimon
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 bwille

bwille

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

In my latest article, I wrote about the possibility of Eduardo Escobar taking over for Pedro Florimon as the starting shortstop for the Twins. I gave five reasons why I believe Escobar deserves the opportunity to start everyday and why it would benefit the Twins.

"While it may only be a small sample size, Escobar seems to have the clutch factor in him that Florimon doesn’t appear to have."[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]

What do you think Twins' Daily followers? Do I have a legitimate argument or is Escobar merely off to a hot start in limited opportunities?

Eduardo Escoba: Minnesota Twins Must Make Move Most Beneficial to Team

[FONT=arial][/FONT]

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,184 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I don't know about the "clutch" factor, I really don't buy into it. That said, I agree he should be starting. He's young enough that he might actually amount to a building block, where Florimon does not.

#3 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I don't know about the "clutch" factor, I really don't buy into it. That said, I agree he should be starting. He's young enough that he might actually amount to a building block, where Florimon does not.

I'm all for Escobar over Florimon, but there's only a 2 year age difference.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,665 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'm all for Escobar over Florimon, but there's only a 2 year age difference.

While I don't have faith in either amounting to much of anything, two years in a player's mid-20s is pretty significant. It's usually the difference between "peak prime" age 27 and "just out of the minors" age 24-25.

In other words, it's not unreasonable to expect upward trending from Escobar but Florimon is probably who he is at this point.

#5 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,680 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

The age thing is interesting.

i guess my take is that we wait to see if Florimon boots himself out of his job. He just needs to get more consistent defensively. And we'll know a lot more about each offensively in two months, when teams have dissected them a little.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,318 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I think he should start more. Too soon to change the every day guy tho.

#7 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

While I don't have faith in either amounting to much of anything, two years in a player's mid-20s is pretty significant. It's usually the difference between "peak prime" age 27 and "just out of the minors" age 24-25.

In other words, it's not unreasonable to expect upward trending from Escobar but Florimon is probably who he is at this point.

One is 24 and one is 26...and Florimon hasn't played enough in the majors yet to say he is who he is...he hasn't had enough time to adjust to the majors yet.

That's the problem with promoting people so late...they are almost in their prime years when they get promoted and they spend some of their prime years adjusting to the major leagues.

Edited by ThePuck, 21 April 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#8 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,893 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Give Florimon more time, but I think eventually the sure-handed Escobar will be the shortstop, especially if his hitting so far (I know, I know SSS) isn't a mirage. If Florimon continues to hit acceptably and steadies in the field, then maybe Eduardo moves over to second.

#9 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Starting SS is the only role where Florimon will be a useful major leaguer. He has no professional experience at positions other than shortstop. If he breaks his long time trend in the minors of inconsistency on routine plays, his glove may be good enough to start at SS for a handful of years.

Escobar is two years younger and has an experienced reportedly plus glove at three positions. While his offensive numbers in the minors were poor, they were always in the context of being among the youngest at his level. He is young enough that his bat will grow. Players with good gloves across the infield can have long useful major league roles as utility players. As I said at the time of the trade, these guys are not easy to find.

The Twins have both guys in roles that suit their profile. It is up to them to make the most of he opportunity.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

I think it's safe to say Escobar is so far thriving in this role. Given that Florimon continues to make routine errors at his position, I don't think we'll have to worry about seeing Escobar become the every-day shortstop for this team at some point.

But it's a good point that Florimon's value is dramatically decreased as a bench player because of a lack of versatility.

#11 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

They are both playing very well. FWIW, I think Florimon has better range. Escobar has steadier hands. They have similar arms. Their bats are similar to this point. Escobar should hit better over time because he has a shorter swing and surprising power. But until Florimon regresses offsnsively, I think you stay the course. Every argument to change is based on small samples and marginal issues like a two-year age difference. Range is the most important thing and Florimon has more.

Neither is the shortstop of the future. Either would be a decent stop gap until that shortstop arrives. If it's Santana, that's two years tops. If it's Polanco or Goodrum, that's four years, tops. Neither will have regressed much due to age by then. Neither will be expensive by then.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,893 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

They are both playing very well. FWIW, I think Florimon has better range. Escobar has steadier hands. They have similar arms. Their bats are similar to this point. Escobar should hit better over time because he has a shorter swing and surprising power. But until Florimon regresses offsnsively, I think you stay the course. Every argument to change is based on small samples and marginal issues like a two-year age difference. Range is the most important thing and Florimon has more.

Neither is the shortstop of the future. Either would be a decent stop gap until that shortstop arrives. If it's Santana, that's two years tops. If it's Polanco or Goodrum, that's four years, tops. Neither will have regressed much due to age by then. Neither will be expensive by then.

Great comments by the last three posters here. If Twins fans are waiting for Santana to take over at SS, they can't be encouraged by his early season production at New Britain. He is OPSing .586 while he has committed eight errors already this season.

#13 dennyhocking4HOF

dennyhocking4HOF

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

My biggest concern is whether Eduardo's got a permit for his GUN?! I wouldn't want his arm to become a legal issue. Florimon's sling shot probably isn't an issue.

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

Right now both guys are hitting so I wouldn't make any significant changes since neither of these guys actually profile as hitters. I'm hoping that Escobar starts getting more playing time but I'm not going to lose any sleep over either of them sitting. It's too bad that Escobar can't snag any playing at 2B but it seems that Carroll will get those starts.

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,184 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Personally, I'd give Escobar a wide margin simply because if he succeeded, it would rile up WhiteSox fans. I seem to remember AJ paying Escobar a very nice compliment after the trade... I dismissed it as AJ, but this far, Escobar has looked pretty good. I do hope he gets the chance to start, as I'd like to see what he can do with it.

#16 DK

DK

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

Escobar should be the regular SS but he may be too valuable in his current role.

#17 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

I definitely think that he should start getting more playing time - who decided he should be a utility guy at the age of 23? First of all, the age difference does matter: 2 years in your mid-twenties can make a huge difference. Second, who says the guy isn't going to hit? He's still developing as a player and has shown a good ability to make contact. I think he needs to play nearly everyday as he could become a steady, serviceable major league player. I would even go so far as to say he should go to Rochester and play everyday if he isn't going to play much up here. You've got Carroll for your utility guy.

In the little bit of playing time he has received, he has shown that he makes all the plays, doesn't make mental errors and is a switch hitter who puts the ball in play, with some pop. That is in stark contrast to Florimon who is surprisingly GoGo like when it comes to the mental side of things.

#18 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

So far Florimon hasn't played himself out of the job, but then again, he never really played himself into the job either.

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,665 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

One is 24 and one is 26...and Florimon hasn't played enough in the majors yet to say he is who he is...he hasn't had enough time to adjust to the majors yet.

Florimon has 3100 professional PAs that tell us who he is as a player. He's 26 years old and has never hit anywhere. There's no real reason to expect anything from the guy.

Escobar isn't much different with 2700 professional PAs. But he tracked 1-2 years ahead of Florimon in the minors, hitting AAA at age 22 and is still a few years away from his prime. They both posted very pedestrian numbers through the minors but Escobar did it at a younger age and a higher level.

Like I said, I don't expect anything from either player but if you're banking on improvement from one of the two, Escobar is a much better bet.

#20 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

I already said I want Escobar starting, what do you want from me Brock :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eduardo escobar, minnesota twins, pedro florimon