Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Josmil Pinto

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

2013 will be a big year for Pinto. The Twins see enough potential to use a 40-man roster spot on the 24 year old C/DH from Venezuela, but he will have a lot to prove this year, both offensively and defensively, if he wants to keep that spot. Josmil was signed as an undrafted F/A in 2006 from Venezuela at 17 years old. A break out year at Elizabethon in 2009 put him on the prospect radar where he batted .332/.387/.610 with 13 home runs and 29 extra base hits in 53 games. He struggled with the jump to full season leagues and his numbers were less impressive in '10 and '11 but a strong year in 2012 in the Florida State league garnered a late season promotion to AA New Britain. So far in 2013 he's off to a hot start batting .275 and leading the Rock Cats in home runs (4) and RBIs (12).

Here is some of his key info:

Name: Josmil Oswaldo Pinto
Position: C/DH
Bats: R
Throws: R
Born: 3/31/89
Aquired: Signed as F/A in 2006 from Venezuela
Height: 5'11''
Weight: 210
League: Double A Eastern League

Edited by Keenan, 18 April 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#2 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

It was an offensive explosion for the Rock Cats on Thursday as they put up 17 runs on the Portland Sea Dogs. Pinto, batting cleanup, went 3 for 6, scoring once and driving in two. Along with his 3 singles, he also had an RBI ground out. He continues to lead the team in HRs and RBIs and brought his stat line up too .298/.403/.596.

His night behind the plate wasn't spectacular but he did catch new Twin Alex Meyer's 6 inning 1 hit gem. He was stolen on once and committed an error on the throw. His defense will be under a lot of scrutiny this year since his value goes way down if he can't play acceptable defense at the Major League level.

All in all, the great start to the 2013 season continues...

Edited by Keenan, 19 April 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#3 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Here is a link to his page at Baseball-reference and a good scouting report from last week by John Sickels at SB Nation.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

I am holding out hope for Pinto to develop into a long term partner for Mauer, perhaps going from alternate to primary catcher if and when Joe changes position. He needs to continue developing both his bat and mitt, but the results have been encouraging both last year and early this spring.

#5 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

After a 17-1 Blowout on Thursday night, the Rock Cats had a rough weekend losing 3 straight to Portland. Josmil's weekend started out rough as well going 1 for 8 with 5 k's on Friday and Saturday but came back with a 2 for 3 day on Sunday that included an RBI single and two walks.

Also of note, Pinto gave up a SB and for the first time this year, batted in the 3 spot instead of clean up, going 0 for 4 with 3 k's.

#6 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

It was an oustanding weekend for the New Britain Rock Cats thanks in large part to the bat of their hard hitting catcher/dh. The Rock Cats won 3 of 4 and Pinto raised his average almost 30 points as he went 8 for 12 scoring twice and knocking in 3 and also blasting his team leading 5th home run of the year.

With some stiff competition at catcher not just on his own team but in the entire organization, Josmil is really proving early on that he deserves his 40 man roster spot. In this first month of the season, he's batting .322/.410/.552 28 hits in 87 at bats, 3 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 19 RBI, 12 BB and 20 K.

#7 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Normally I'd wait a couple of days to update but Pinto and the Rock Cats are on such a hot streak, I had to say something. The bats came through big time last night to bail out the pitching as New Britain scored 10 runs in the 4th inning and 6 more in the 7th. In those two innings alone, Josmil went 3 for 3 with 2 doubles, 2 RBIs and scored 3 times. He's currently leading the team in AVG (.337), Runs (19), HR (5), RBI (21) and is the only player to play in all 23 games to start the season (admittedly some games at DH). Hot hitting Daniel Ortiz is right behind Pinto in every category but Pinto appears to be the front runner for player of the month in April. He also flashed the glove last night, not allowing a passed ball as Trevor May dealt with some control issues and also threw out his first base stealer of the year. In the last 5 games, Pinto is batting .647 (11 for 17).

#8 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Josmil had his 7 game hit streak come to an end last night, finally coming back to earth after a blistering weekend where he raised his BA 55 points. The week was fairly uneventful on the field but he did recieve high praise as Seth Stohs named him Minor League hitter of the Month for the Rock Cats and 3rd in the Twins organization. Considering he got beat out by Sano and Buxton, who could be the hitters of the month in all of baseball not just the Twins, I'd say Pinto is doing pretty well.

Other news from the box score: Pinto did throw out another runner trying to steal this week and his hitless game last night brings him to 0 for 8 when batting 3rd instead of clean up. Just saying...

#9 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

In a 3 game span from Sunday to Tuesday, Pinto went 8 for 14 with 2 doubles, a homerun, 5 RBIs and 4 runs scored, raising his average to .347 while also throwing out another runner trying to steal. After going 1 for 5 in a morning game today he is leading the team in average (.341), slugging (.550), HR (6), RBI (29), and Runs (25). He aslso has 7 doubles.

With Rochester's catchers batting .242 at best and combining for only 12 runs scored, 0 HRs, and 10 RBIs, I'd say the path is pretty clear at this point for Pinto to move up. I won't speculate on when a promotion might happen but he has got to be turning some heads in the organization. He's not ready to be Joe's backup in the show but I can't imagine he'll be kept in New Britain for long if his great start continues.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

In a 3 game span from Sunday to Tuesday, Pinto went 8 for 14 with 2 doubles, a homerun, 5 RBIs and 4 runs scored, raising his average to .347 while also throwing out another runner trying to steal. After going 1 for 5 in a morning game today he is leading the team in average (.341), slugging (.550), HR (6), RBI (29), and Runs (25). He aslso has 7 doubles.

With Rochester's catchers batting .242 at best and combining for only 12 runs scored, 0 HRs, and 10 RBIs, I'd say the path is pretty clear at this point for Pinto to move up. I won't speculate on when a promotion might happen but he has got to be turning some heads in the organization. He's not ready to be Joe's backup in the show but I can't imagine he'll be kept in New Britain for long if his great start continues.

I've been following Pinto's numbers closely, he's having the breakout season among Twins minor leaguers that few are touting. Thanks for the work, Keenan!

In addition, giving everyone a further idea of where his hitting rates in his League, Pinto is 2nd overall in the entire Eastern League in BA (.347) and OPS (.964) and Hits (44), while 1st in RBI (29) and Total Bases (71), and one behind the league leader in HR (6).

Now the only question about his game that seems to be holding him back is his defense. I have admittedly never seen him play, but the defense (or lack thereof) seems to be the rap on him. His career caught stealing rate is only 33%, but is there something more significant that the Twins are concerned about? He's been in the organization going into his 8th season now!

#11 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

You can also read about the Rise of Josmil Pinto in a nice article published today on Twins Daily, but I'm guessing if you made it to my page, you've probably already read it...

#12 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Pinto blasted 2 more homeruns over the weekend making him at or near the Eastern League leader in almost every statistical category including HRs (8) and RBIs (32). This is turning into a break out year for him and being well into May, this hot streak appears to be more than just a fast start.

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins News Team
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

I certainly like what Pinto has done. I wonder if he will stay in NB until after they have an All-Star game. That would make sense to me.

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

I want Doumit to hit like a damn beast until the trade deadline. Then it's time to move on with Pinto (and hopefully Herrmann . . .).

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

I want Doumit to hit like a damn beast until the trade deadline. Then it's time to move on with Pinto (and hopefully Herrmann . . .).

Yup. I've been envisioning the Doumit move since the offseason, and best of all, Pinto is already on the roster. With the relative success of Arcia, perhaps the Twins will be more willing to pull the trigger on the trade AND the double-promotion for Pinto.

In the meantime, I hope the Twins don't become enamored with some out-of-shape, "worse than his numbers", relief pitcher and trade away their best catching prospect and keep their worst catching prospects. (And BTW, Luis Martinez is OPSing .808 in the Orioles system after a very late start to his season coming off of an oblique injury, he would have been a nice, FREE, minor league catching depth acquisition, ending the string of Butera/Fryer/Lehmann non-hitting-catchers that the Twins so love).

#16 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Pinto has been proving that's he's one of the best hitters on the Rock Cats, if not in the whole Eastern League this year. What I can't glean from the stat sheet is how he is doing defensively. He had a busy day behind the plate last night where he threw out 1 of 3 base stealers and was also involved in what appeared to be a 1st and 3rd pick off play. But he also made a throwing error and allowed a passed ball. Without seeing highlights or the actual game its impossible to tell whether this was a horrid attempt at the catching position or a product of other in game factors. He certainly doesn't need above average defensive skills to replace Doumit as a back stop but can anyone who has seen Pinto behind the plate give me their thoughts on him as a defensive replacement for Mauer's backup?

#17 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

What a Memorial weekend for Josmil Pinto!! Over the weekend he went 8 for 13, raising his average up to .339! He also added 5 BBs 3 RBIs and 3 Rs. He has 64 hits on the year putting him second in the Eastern league in BA and near the top in every other category!

I can't imagine he isn't a major player on the Twins radar this season. If Chris Herrmann sticks with the Twins past when Ramirez returns, I would think Pinto would get the call up to Rochester to fill Herrmann's spot. Regardless what happens with the Twins, I can't imagine Pinto wouldn't get a mid season promotion if he continues to tear up AA pitching.

The only critique I have for Pinto right now is all 8 hits over the weekend were singles and he hasn't added to his team leading HR and 2B total in almost 2 weeks. But how do you complain about .337/.430/.537??

He also got his first hit of the year last night when hitting in the 3 spot. That makes him 1 for 11 on the year...

#18 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins News Team
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Rohlfing was sent to Rochester, he is my Adopt-a-Prospect. Rohlfing is a RH version of Herrmann--versatility, questionable offensive skills--so it kind of makes sense to send him to Rochester for the short term. A question for you Keenan--how you seen Pinto play? I saw him briefly in the spring. My comment is that he doesn't look like the same guy that is in the media guide. His profile picture also seems to show a much slimmer, more svelte athlete.

Edited by stringer bell, 30 May 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#19 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

I had heard reports that he showed up a lot slimmer this year but I have not seen him play. I asked a few weeks ago if anyone could comment on his defense but I got no response. Can anyone who has seen a Rock Cats game live recently give a few thoughts on Pinto? I'd be very interested in a first hand report of both his conditioning and his defense.

#20 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Pinto belted his team leading 10th homerun last night and added to his Eastern League leading 44 RBIs. His OPS is now .978, second in AA.

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

I really hope they give him AAA time ASAP.

#22 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins News Team
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I really hope they give him AAA time ASAP.

As of today, Pinto is fourth in the league in batting average, RBI, and OPS and sixth (tied) in home runs. He leads the Rock Cats in all of those categories. I would presume he is a lock to be an Eastern League All-Star, and after the All-Star game should go directly to Rochester.

The EL All-Star game is in New Britain and it isn't played until July 10, so I guess that means another four weeks in Connecticut for Pinto.

Edited by stringer bell, 15 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.
Additional Information

#23 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Pinto has cooled considerably as spring turns into summer but some factors might be in play. Since a blistering Memorial weekend, where Josmil went 8 for 13, he is batting just .245 (14 for 57) and has seen his average drop 19 points. To begin with, it was probably unreasonable to think he would continue the entire season at a .340 clip. Looking at the number over the past 3 weeks, Pinto has continued to hit for power collecting 3 HRs and 4 2Bs. That's half of his hits going for extra bases. He also may not be seeing many pitches to hit either as his prowess is become more widely known around the league. He has drawn an astounding 42 walks on the year, 16 more than anyone else on the team. The addition of Miguel Sano should only help Pinto's numbers as he either sees more balls to hit or has Sano on base to knock in. Sano maybe be hitting below the half Mendoza line but he's the Rock Cat with a higher walk rate than Pinto (6BB in 6 games). I imagine the hitting duo to look a lot like Cabrera/Fielder but again I haven't seen them in person yet. I'd love a first hand report if anyone has seen a Rock Cats game recently.

On the defensive side of the ball, Pinto remains hot. He's splitting time between catcher and DH but maintaining his CS% above .33 having thrown out 11 of 32 would be base stealers.

#24 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Great analysis by Boone on Pinto's progression this year with a lot of good discussion in the comments if you missed it. I think the biggest question mark on him is his defense and what position he's going to stick at. The stat sheet cannot tell what kind of defensive catcher he's going to be. He had two errors the other night but what exactly does that mean? He's throwing out 33% of base stealers but how is his recieving and game calling? If anyone can give an eye witness account of his defensive abilities, I'd really appreciate it. The stat sheet doesn't lie but it doesn't tell a whole story either.

#25 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

For some reason, Pinto thrives on holiday weekends! After a monster Memorial Day, he follow with a fantastic 4th of July weekend with 2 HRs and a 2B. Over the 4 game stretch, Josmil was 6 for 17, knocking in 6 runs along with 3 BBs. Pinto has slowed as of late but he is still 3rd in the Eastern League in AVG, OBP, OPS and Hits. He's 4 off the HR pace with 13 on the year, leads the league in total bases, and is 2nd in RBIs. I'm anxious to see if a call up to AAA will follow the Eastern League All Star game later this week.

#26 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins News Team
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm looking forward to Josmil playing at Rochester and hope they recall him on Sept. 1, if not before. While he hasn't been as red-hot as he was early, from checking the boxscores, it looks like there are very few o-fers and usually when he's hitless, he has drawn a walk. For a catcher to sustain his excellent hitting has to bode well for his future.

#27 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Pinto was pretty much the only offense for the East All Stars last night, collecting 2 of the teams 5 hits including a 2nd inning double. Josmil went 2 for 4 DHing and batting clean up, while the rest of the team went 3 for 26 getting shut out 5-0.

Shout out to Trevor May who also represented the Twins well pitching a 1-2-3 2nd inning, with 1 strike out.

Very excited to see whether he can sustain his dominance at the plate and continue to improve behind it. Look out International League, this guy isn't far away.

#28 Keenan

Keenan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

My first thought at the trade deadline was finally a catcher spot opens for Pinto at Rochester and sure enough, he gets the call up to the on deck circle. Pinto's stats have stabalized at a more sustainable level, batting .308 this year at AA with 14 HR and 68 RBI, the team lead in all 3 categories. I for one am very excited to see what he can do at the next level.

He made his debut last night for the Red Wings at DH, batting 6th. It was not an impressive debut with 3 ground outs to the left side, 2 of which were inning ending double plays. He also struck out in the 9th for his last at bat. The 0 for 4 was certainly not the start we were hoping for but still very exciting to see him get the chance at AAA.

#29 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'll tell you why I am getting excited about Pinto: he's looking like a right-handed Ryan Doumit. He seems to be challenged at catcher, but good enough to do a little there, but he can hit well enough to find some time in the lineup, but even better, he's right-handed so Mauer can get breaks against lefties and stay fresh. That seems like a good piece for the Twins to have going forward.

Kind of Wilson Ramosish, except older and healthier (though I think there were questions about Ramos' age being correct.)

#30 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Pinto hasn't received the attention that Ramos did moving through the system, and he has been older at each level, as John pointed out. Still, his numbers have been better than Ramos' were and he has been considerably healthier. For all the complaints about trading Ramos, the Nationals haven't seen much of him on the field.

I am a bit excited about Pinto as well. The Twins system is fairly well balanced in position players right now, with at least a good prospect at every position. Shortstop is possibly the weakest, and there at least some interesting talents there as well. If Pinto can be an average defensive catcher, and I really don't know that, he becomes a pretty good prospect given his offensive numbers the the last 2 years.