Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Does Jeff Gray win?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

It looks like, other than Capps, Duensing, Swarzak, Perkins, Burton and Maloney, the guy that is getting the quality innings is Jeff Gray. What do we think - does he have the inside track? He's out of options, too, right?

#2 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super friend

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

There's no one else left to take that spot, save Fien and he won't. Gray is in.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#3 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, with Waldrop hurting I've got to imagine Gray has that spot all but locked up. Twins must see something in him, I guess. Looks like the second coming of Dusty Hughes to me.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

They liked Gray enough to claim him off waivers at the same time as Maloney. He's on the 40 man roster. He throws hard. He's got a (unexciting) track record. Obviously I prefer Waldrop for the final spot... but the business side may win out for that final spot. It's good that he's getting innings now, and he's pitching well.

#5 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Waldrop would be next in line..it's not a big deal to me.

#6 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

I would agree Matt Maloney and Jeff Gray are having a good spring in 2012. Dusty Hughes had a great spring last year and remember what happened to him. The numbers mean nothing and around the end of April fans will be scratching their heads wondering why these two occupy 40-man roster spots. The reason why is they fit the Twins Way "Expect More, Pay Less."

#7 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Maybe not so fast. Fien pitched the 5th and 6th innings yesterday and struck out 3. He also gave up a run, but no walks.

#8 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

I think Fien might be on the outside looking in. We've seen stranger things happen though...
I bent my wookie...

#9 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

I think Gray will get the spot out of ST. Fien will be reassigned to Rochester and Waldrop will start on the DL or optioned to Rochester. If Gray fails, after a month or so, he will be DFA and Waldrop will get a shot. If they need another pitcher, Fien can be given Gray's spot on the 40-man roster.

#10 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I just looked at the numbers. In roughly equal innings, Gray has 2K and 4BB while Fien has 9K and 2 BB. I haven't seen enough of who each has faced, and I assume Gray has the inside track, but that tell me I'd rather Fien get a shot.

#11 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

I just looked at the numbers. In roughly equal innings, Gray has 2K and 4BB while Fien has 9K and 2 BB. I haven't seen enough of who each has faced, and I assume Gray has the inside track, but that tell me I'd rather Fien get a shot.

Gray just coughed up a 2 rHR

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

I just took the blame for Gray's 2-run homer allowed in another thread. One I put him on my projected roster, he had a rough outing. Fien probably deserves it, based on his spring, but let's not forget that Alex Burnett is still in the equation, and on the 40 man roster.

#13 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super friend

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Has Fien pitched earlier than the 7th inning in any ST games? Hard to quantify and qualify is so.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.