Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Is Andy Pettitte a Hall-of-Famer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Andy Pettitte had a Hall-of-Fame worthy career? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Andy Pettitte had a Hall-of-Fame worthy career?

1. Yes (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. No (18 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Andy Pettitte is one of only 4 current pitchers in the MLB with 90 more pitching wins than losses. (Sabathia, Hudson, Halladay) Based on his career so far, is Andy Pettitte a Hall-of-Famer?

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

He probably would have, but if Bonds, Clemens and McGuire aren't getting in due to steriods, Andy Pettite surely won't.

#3 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

His numbers make him not quite borderline, even without the steroid admission.

I'd say he's clearly not.

He sure looked like a HOFer all those times he pitched against the Twins, though.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Pitcher A: 95-06, 148-139, 113 ERA+, 2451ip, 45.6 WAR
Pitcher B: 95-06, 186-104, 119 ERA+, 2312ip, 44.4 WAR

Pitcher A retired after the 06 season because his arm broke down. Pitcher B used PEDs.

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Pitcher A: 95-06, 148-139, 113 ERA+, 2451ip, 45.6 WAR
Pitcher B: 95-06, 186-104, 119 ERA+, 2312ip, 44.4 WAR

Pitcher A retired after the 06 season because his arm broke down. Pitcher B used PEDs.

Radke is a solid comp to Pettitte.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

I like that comp, and as was stated above... if the greatest hitter of our generation isn't in the Hall, Pettitte shouldn't come close.

#7 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

He's a strong borderline candidate. I can see him hanging around on the ballot for a dozen years then getting in. I probably wouldn't vote for him, but I also wouldn't argue too vehemently against it.

[/passingbuck]

#8 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Do they let snitches into the HoF?

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Radke is a solid comp to Pettitte.

He's an interesting comp. But, part of what goes into a HoF career is longevity, so cherry picking only the years Radke pitched leaves out part of a legitimate case for Pettitte.

That said, he doesn't have my "vote".

#10 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Steroid era is going to be tough for voters. Only shoe in I see are ken grif jr, none other really come to mind. Its hard to know who did or didnt use. Heck even jr. May have. The fact that we pettitte did makes him an easy NO brainer.

#11 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Imo HOF'ers should be considered as elite at some point in their career. I just don't believe that is true for Pettitte. The main argument in this thread is his WL record that was racked up at the height of some great Yankee teams. Other than that he was a pretty ordinary very good pitcher.

I'm not sure I agree that Jr. is the only HOF lock. I can think of two pitchers that are locks (RJ and Maddux). Smoltz and Pedro also should be locks along with Mo.

Other hitting locks should be Chipper, Jeter, thomas and probably Thome.

#12 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I do see a scenario where Andy Pettitte is inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame:

2017 - There is a nuclear holocaust, wiping out 95% of the population of Planet Earth. 2-3% of the population of the United States and Lower Canada survive this event and create new societies living in the sewers in the remains of big cities.

In 2116, when the Elder Statesmen of a few different clans deem the environment to be safe to enter and to investigate, a group of explorers is sent out into the world and they stumble upon the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Although these explorers have no clue what "Baseball" is and have a hard time piecing together how the game is played, in their best effort they try to play a game to their best abilities in a field near Cooperstown. They use a Mickey Mantle bat from his Triple Crown Season and a Sandy Koufax baseball from one of his no-hitters to try and relight the fire of the great game of baseball.

It does not go so well as a black bear and Siberian Tiger attack them while playing. One of the fatalities of this attack is a man named Gurbis #6, he had kept in his pocket a plastic encased Andy Pettitte 1996 Topps baseball card inherited to him from his Great Great Grandfather.

When the surviving explorers discover this in the pocket of Gurbis #6's pants pocket after cannibalizing him, they decide that it would be a good omen to induct Andy Pettitte into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Using tree sap they stick Andy Pettitte's Baseball Card on one of glass encasings within the HOF, and proclaim him God of Baseball. After checking each other for ticks and combing each others hair, the surviving explorers make their way back to their underground home in Buffalo, New York.

This is how Andy Pettitte is inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Edited by Bark's Lounge, 17 April 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#13 flpmagikat

flpmagikat

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Andy Pettitte is one of only 4 current pitchers in the MLB with 90 more pitching wins than losses. (Sabathia, Hudson, Halladay) Based on his career so far, is Andy Pettitte a Hall-of-Famer?

No, but he's probably the best pitcher I've ever seen(live), besides Johan. He's a hall of gamer. Clutch may be a myth, but some guys just don't get rattled, and he never seemed to. Also, peds and ****, whatever. If those things were going to help anyone, they'd help cal break the iron man record.

#14 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'd never vote for him. The only players with confirmed steroid use that I would consider voting for are Barry Bonds, Rafael Palmeiro, and Roger Clemens. Pettitte is borderline with those stats if it hadn't been revealed he used HGH. Since he did, that makes it blatantly clear he shouldn't. The only reason he could possibly get in is because he was basically a career Yankee. If Jeter had used steroids, I could see him still getting voted in anyway.

#15 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,232 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

I do see a scenario where Andy Pettitte is inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame:

2017 - There is a nuclear holocaust, wiping out 95% of the population of Planet Earth. 2-3% of the population of the United States and Lower Canada survive this event and create new societies living in the sewers in the remains of big cities.

In 2116, when the Elder Statesmen of a few different clans deem the environment to be safe to enter and to investigate, a group of explorers is sent out into the world and they stumble upon the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Although these explorers have no clue what "Baseball" is and have a hard time piecing together how the game is played, in their best effort they try to play a game to their best abilities in a field near Cooperstown. They use a Mickey Mantle bat from his Triple Crown Season and a Sandy Koufax baseball from one of his no-hitters to try and relight the fire of the great game of baseball.

It does not go so well as a black bear and Siberian Tiger attack them while playing. One of the fatalities of this attack is a man named Gurbis #6, he had kept in his pocket a plastic encased Andy Pettitte 1996 Topps baseball card inherited to him from his Great Great Grandfather.

When the surviving explorers discover this in the pocket of Gurbis #6's pants pocket after cannibalizing him, they decide that it would be a good omen to induct Andy Pettitte into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Using tree sap they stick Andy Pettitte's Baseball Card on one of glass encasings within the HOF, and proclaim him God of Baseball. After checking each other for ticks and combing each others hair, the surviving explorers make their way back to their underground home in Buffalo, New York.

This is how Andy Pettitte is inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Bark -- I have missed these posts and am very glad that you have returned to TD. I can't wait to see what you post if Plouffe gets into another home run streak.

#16 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

I think his playoff performance matters more than people are acknowledging. I think he'll eventually get in, despite the steroids use--that he's pitching into his 40s after admitting use, and his betrayal of Clemens probably work in his favor.

#17 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

No, after the roid use, I cannot see his career being good enough. It is marginal now