Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Has anyone else noticed Butera hasn't started an A game lately?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but looking at the box scores, I see: Today vs. Philly - Mauer started and Butera came in as a very late sub Yesterday vs Blt - Towles started and played the whole game Monday vs TB - Mauer started and Butera came in as a sub Sunday vs STL - Doumit started It doesn't look like Gardy is letting Butera face any of the opposing team's starting pitchers. I wonder if he hasn't falled behind Towles. Am I missing something?

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

Yeah, I don't think that you are missing anything :) Another little tidbit from today (which would not be obvious unless you were there, or had access ;) but even those with access did not report) : Every day before the Twins' home games at Fort Myers a group of people usually back-up bench types take BP on the field right outside the ballpark and the non-playing pitchers are standing at the OF to catch balls. Today, they included the back up Catchers as well and they were: Dozier, Hollimon, Burroughs, Doumit and Towles. No Butera. Hughes was not there because he started but he was there Monday. So methinks that the Butera is about ready to go to Rochester. Word also has it that Chris Herrmann is reporting to New Britain, so that makes much more sense...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Another little tidbit from today (which would not be obvious unless you were there, or had access ;) but even those with access did not report) .... So methinks that the Butera is about ready to go to Rochester. Word also has it that Chris Herrmann is reporting to New Britain, so that makes much more sense...

I've taken a liking to your accessive ;) information!
"You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." [SIZE=2]​Albert Einstein[/SIZE]

#4 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info thrylos98

#5 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Herrmann is headed back to New Britain.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#6 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

We can only hope that this is the case. Butera's offensive offense did not offset his defensive skills.

#7 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Nice catch John. I really hope the Twins only have 2 catchers.
I bent my wookie...

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

And as you write that, Butera is in the starting lineup for the Twins today against the Pirates.

#9 ThatsRich

ThatsRich

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, that's exactly the usage pattern you'd expect for your third-string catcher. I think Punto left all his pictures of Gardy and a goat with Sal's kid when he left town.

#10 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yep, he did. No stolen bases and 1-4 with a walk. I guess we're gonna stay guessing.

#11 markominne

markominne

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hopefully Gardy has realized that with Morneau being primarily the DH, that Doumit is principally a position player - meaning, he doesn't risk losing his DH by moving Doumit behind the plate during a game. A third catcher - particularly if he can't hit - is a luxury the Twins cannot afford. Besides, I've never thought that losing the DH late in the game is that big a deal - so what if you play NL ball for a couple innings?!

#12 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Butera Hitting v Pitcher Hitting Whats the Difference?????

#13 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hopefully Gardy has realized that with Morneau being primarily the DH, that Doumit is principally a position player - meaning, he doesn't risk losing his DH by moving Doumit behind the plate during a game. A third catcher - particularly if he can't hit - is a luxury the Twins cannot afford. Besides, I've never thought that losing the DH late in the game is that big a deal - so what if you play NL ball for a couple innings?!

Hopefully Gardy realizes that any time Butera is in the lineup, he's basically losing the DH position anyway, because he has hitter in the lineup who provides roughly what an NL pitcher provides.