Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs. Angels, 4/17 - 7:10pm

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Lineups:

Twins:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Brian Dozier 2B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Joe Mauer DH[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Josh Willingham LF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Justin Morneau 1B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Ryan Doumit C[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Trevor Plouffe 3B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Oswaldo Arcia RF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Aaron Hicks CF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Pedro Florimon SS[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial](Vance Worley P)[/FONT][/COLOR]

Angels:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]J.B. Shuck LF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Mike Trout CF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Albert Pujols DH[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Josh Hamilton RF[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Mark Trumbo 1B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Howard Kendrick 2B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Chris Iannetta C[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Brendan Harris SS[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]Luis Jimenez 3B[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial](Tommy Hanson P)[/FONT][/COLOR]

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Is the weather going to cause this game to be postponed?

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,470 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

I was wondering the same thing. It is not raining here in Rochester, but could start at any time. Regardless, there won't be any baseball tomorrow--a rain/snow mix with a possible accumulation of several inches of snow (did I just write that for April 18th?). So, if the game is postponed today, they will have to find a common off day to get the game in.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,470 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

I just checked local radar and it looks like there might be a chance to get the game in. Depends on whether the front moves north. As far as Cedar Rapids playing, they looked locked in the storm front, not much chance there will be a game there.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Has the MLB master-scheduler been fired yet, or at least had a reprimand placed in his file?

I get that you have to annually rotate who plays against whom, where, in early April, but there has to be a way to schedule the northern teams so that they are playing more frequent common opponents rather than the "one time through" types- to help make the make-up options more amenable.

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,470 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

I'll be 59 years old on Friday and I have never, never ever seen a "spring" like this. It can be reasonably accepted that it will rain some in April--unfortunately the cold and precip has been unrelenting this month. Perhaps there should be some adjustments, but if you wait to play your "once through" games until late, there are fewer possible make-up dates.

#7 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

With the way the Angels are playing right now, the Twins wanna get this game in today an way they can.

Lineups are up btw.

1. shuck LF
2. Trout CF
3. Pujols DH
4. Hamilton RF
5. Trumbo 1B
6. Kendrick 2B
7. Ianetta C
8. Harris SS
9. Jiminez 3B
P. Hanson

1. Dozier 2B
2. Mauer DH
3. Hammer LF
4. Mourneau 1B
5. Doumit C
6. Plouffe 3B
7. Arcia RF
8. Hicks CF
9. Florimon SS
P. Worley

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,073 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'll be 59 years old on Friday and I have never, never ever seen a "spring" like this. It can be reasonably accepted that it will rain some in April--unfortunately the cold and precip has been unrelenting this month. Perhaps there should be some adjustments, but if you wait to play your "once through" games until late, there are fewer possible make-up dates.

The thing that really makes me pause about the weather this April... Without Global Warming... The Temp would be around 5 degrees.

#9 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Awesome. Hammertime

#10 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

The thing that really makes me pause about the weather this April... Without Global Warming... The Temp would be around 5 degrees.

It's only 90 here in Ft Myers, and I have to head back to Minnesota in a few days. They say spring travels north at 11 miles per day. If you see someone driving really slow on I75, give me a wave.

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Has the MLB master-scheduler been fired yet, or at least had a reprimand placed in his file?

I get that you have to annually rotate who plays against whom, where, in early April, but there has to be a way to schedule the northern teams so that they are playing more frequent common opponents rather than the "one time through" types- to help make the make-up options more amenable.

I think that the the Angels' rally monkey is MLB's master scheduler.

#12 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

According to the Twins website and CBSsportsline.com, tonight's game has been postponed for rain. I suppose that John and his blond goddess avatar will have to think of something else to do tonight.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,073 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Dang it... Can't we find someone... Someone good with tools... Nail a bunch of plywood together.... Slide it over the top... And Voila... A roof for only when needed for the price of plywood.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,409 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Dang it... Can't we find someone... Someone good with tools... Nail a bunch of plywood together.... Slide it over the top... And Voila... A roof for only when needed for the price of plywood.

Sounds like (to plagiarize Willihammer) it's Hammer time.

#15 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

____ and ____ and pray for snow. Fill in the blanks.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#16 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Uh, is it even raining right now? Too bad for the postponement.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#17 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Arcia goes back to AAA because no game, right?
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#18 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

sweep

#19 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Is it actually raining? I remember a couple years ago they postponed a game due to the threat of rain and they never got a single drop.

#20 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

So the Twins sweep again.

#21 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Darin Mastroianni will be sidelined for three weeks with a stress reaction in his left ankle.

Mastroianni initially hurt the ankle on March 25 and was finally placed on the disabled list Tuesday. He'll wear a walking boot for the next 10-14 days. Oswaldo Arcia was recalled to replace him on the roster.

Source: Tyler Mason on Twitter

#22 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

I think at this point they have to be regretting postponing this game. It was "light rain/mist" the whole time the game was to be played, and in the mid to upper 30s. Obviously not GREAT baseball weather, but given the circumstances of LA not coming back to MN, you've got to try to get 5 innings in.

Someone blew it.

#23 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,470 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have mixed reactions to the postponement. 1) It was a good time to play the Angels and a good opportunity to win three against what will be a good team. 2) It would have been another cold and wet day with few fans in the seats. There likely won't be many more in the seats for the makeup game. 3) A makeup game will probably put pressure on the Twins' weak pitching staff in midsummer.

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Meh. Postponements happen all the time in the early season.

It kinda sucks since I think they had a real nice chance at a sweep and sort of get things back on the right track for a minute or two.

Was looking forward to seeing if Mauer could also collect 12 hits in 3 days which would have even beat Pucketts best series.

#25 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

I think at this point they have to be regretting postponing this game. It was "light rain/mist" the whole time the game was to be played, and in the mid to upper 30s. Obviously not GREAT baseball weather, but given the circumstances of LA not coming back to MN, you've got to try to get 5 innings in.

Someone blew it.

I would think so too. I cringed when I saw Dave St. Peter tweeting people at 5pm who were asking if they should make a 2-hour drive to the game, and he told them it would be on. It was strange that they've had such early postponements for other weather, but delayed extremely last minute for what pretty much everybody though would be a rain storm (turning to snow some time on Thursday).

By 9:30pm or 10pm, I guess you could argue the rain was a little bit "sleet-ish", but given what they played through already in several other games, it was not cancellation-worthy. I would argue the game in Kansas City a week ago that looked like a monsoon was much worse.

And please, anyone with the "shoulda built a retractable roof!" argument, get some perspective. There have been cancellations all over the Midwest and East Coast this April - the amount of cold and precipitation have both been unusually high. I've been to two games this April, and both were cold, but it was still a good overall experience. I'd rather deal with that one month than have to look at an ugly airplane hangar like in Milwaukee the other 5 months of the season when the weather will be nicer.