Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Saturday in the Minor League Parks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...or-League-Parks

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Great report. It seems like the Miracle and the Kernels are providing the greatest solace lately.

#3 mini_tb

mini_tb

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Seth, have you heard anything interesting about Angel Morales? I know small sample sizes apply, and this is a slight exaggeration, but it seems like he has had more good offensive performances this season than the previous 2 seasons combined. He has 7 extra base hits in 8 games this season after hitting just 20 in 112 games all last year. He's repeating the league, and his strikeout to walk rate is still dreadful, so I'm just wondering if there is any reason for optimism.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'm not sure what to make of Morales. He remains an incredible athlete and is very talented and a tremendous centerfielder. He has the ability to play like he has this first week, but if we recall, he was also the player of the week in the Florida State League the first week last season too. His performance in Puerto Rico certainly doesn't give hope, but hopefully his fast start and translate into some confidence and he'll keep it up.

#5 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

I believe Morales struggled through injuries that last two years. I don't know how open he's been about his health, but the old medical staff didn't exactly encourage openness, either. Anyway he seems healthy now. Hopefully he can be consistent as well.

#6 Mave

Mave

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Previous articles on this site listed the average age of players at each level. So I'm curious, at 23, is Morales just taking advantage of younger opponents at FM? Hoping he can keep it up and finally make it to NB.

Speaking of young FM players... This time last year, this guy named Oswaldo was playing for FM, found success early across two levels, and will make his debut a day or two from now. What a year....Arcia is still just 21.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Nice read. Keep 'em coming.

#8 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Things are looking pretty bleak at the AAA level in this "great" farm system. Colabello and Arcia the only real bright spots, and the pitching is as horrible as the Twins. Patience is overrated.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Previous articles on this site listed the average age of players at each level. So I'm curious, at 23, is Morales just taking advantage of younger opponents at FM? Hoping he can keep it up and finally make it to NB.

Speaking of young FM players... This time last year, this guy named Oswaldo was playing for FM, found success early across two levels, and will make his debut a day or two from now. What a year....Arcia is still just 21.

Average FSL Hitter this year is currently 22.8. Pitchers 23.2.
Average FM Hitter this year is currently 22.9. Pitchers 23.1.
Angel Morales turned 23 in November, so he's just barely over the average.

Miracle have several 25 year olds, but the prospects are young!