Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Kernels First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...rst-Impressions

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Thanks. It's refreshing to hear from people who get to see these guys live vs. ad nauseous regurgitations of Internet scouts.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,214 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Great article. Thanks for posting this.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thanks. It's refreshing to hear from people who get to see these guys live vs. ad nauseous regurgitations of Internet scouts.

That's why I encourage fans of the minor leagues to try to make that trip down to Cedar Rapids, if you can. If you see people play in person, your impressions can be based on more than just the numbers. As Mike Radcliff once told me, the lower down the farm system a team/player is, the less that the stats mean. Doesn't mean meaningless, but it's just a part of the picture.

#5 pioneers3

pioneers3

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

The Kernels came into the indoor today, so I got to see a few of the arms throw a bull pen.

Really like Tim Atherton, he is from down under. Had good life and his cutter was sharp today, throws down hill. He was one of the relievers in the No-no game.

Taylor Rogers threw, he is starting now, but if he struggles moving up as a starter, I could see him doing well vs. LHH out of the pen. He has that low 3/4 arm slot that would come from behind a LHH.

Couldn't stay to see everyone, I have a hoops game, but will be updating as the season gets going and the weather gets nicer!

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Territory Train: Dining with the Developing - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

IF you're looking for a good way to get down to Cedar Rapids and don't want to drive, check out the link.

#7 pioneers3

pioneers3

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Territory Train: Dining with the Developing - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

IF you're looking for a good way to get down to Cedar Rapids and don't want to drive, check out the link.

Just to let you know that there should be a huge crowd at those games, the Kernels play the Lansing Lugnuts (Blue Jays) and they have a former Cedar Rapids High School Player on the roster, Kellen Sweeney. The Kernels also did a promotion on April 1st where you buy a ticket and you get one for the 29th for a buck. Hope the weather is a little warmer for your trip.

#8 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yeah and both the 28th and 29th are special promotion nights, I believe. "Kernels Snow Globes" (it will seem funnier by June than it does now with games getting snowed out) on the 28th and Autism Awareness Night (special jerseys that get auctioned off) and Fireworks on the 29th. Really should be good crowds.

Edit: I see now the Territory Train trip is June 29-30, not the 28th.

And those games are against Peoria, the Cardinals affiliate, I believe.

Edited by SD Buhr, 10 April 2013 - 09:16 PM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#9 pioneers3

pioneers3

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I miss read, I was thinking the 29-30 of April, no clue why...but I see it is June, should be nice by then.