Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Series Preview: Twins @ Royals, 4/8

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#121 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,259 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

I have no problem with that either, but once the tying run got in scoring position, it was time to make the change.

I think the correct criticism was not having Burton warming up sooner. Burton wasn't warm yet when Cain doubled.

#122 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,498 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

A wild pitch and a single courtesy of Burton quells my impulse to second guess.

#123 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,498 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

So how many of us are thinking back to that first inning and Doumit's baserunning mistake?

If there was a crooked number up there for the Twins then it wouldn't be as much of an issue. But as things are, yeah.

#124 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Great job by Florimon to block the bag

#125 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Am I just an idiot or merely wondering why Correia came out for the 8th? Even Fien would have been a better option.

If you are going to yank a guy, between innings, that has a shutout going and is under 90 pitches, then he shouldn't even be on the roster. (Which is a legit thread of its own.)

#126 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

What? Mauer gunned someone down...........

#127 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Gardy blew this. There is no way you let Correia have a chance to be in line for a loss after pitching like that. He should have been pulled immediately after that double. We have a pretty good bullpen, so not using it was short-sighted too. Twins could have scored more runs of course, but certainly a huge mistake by our manager. Maybe it didn't matter with how Burton did, yet it was costly nonetheless.

#128 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

A shut out thru 7 innings... No problems and under 90 pitches... I let Correia go in the 8th.

And yet there was the ticking sound. I heard it. From 3 states away.

The hook is one of the hardest calls to make, and one of the easiest to rip. Sending Correia out was just a little bit more inevitable than his reunion with math.

#129 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

I agree that Gardy can and should be criticized for not having the bullpen ready when the 8th inning started. I can understand sending Corriea out for the 8th, I can't understand not having at least one reliever ready to go, probably one each LH and RH.

#130 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

From -, Ryan had a winning record in 16 of 22 seasons. If wins were completely independent of the starting pitcher, shouldn't he be more like .500 in winning seasons? Shouldn't most of the pitchers in the hall of fame have as many losing seasons as winning seasons? "Wins are a team stat" is just another stathead meme with a grain of truth at the center, but like most such memes, don't hold up under scrutiny. How the starting pitcher performs is perhaps the single most important factor in who wins a MLB game. Pitch well, and over time you'll win more than you lose.

I never said wins were "completely independent" of the pitcher.
If its literally your sole metric for arguing how good or bad a pitcher is (which is how the guy I originally responded to was using it), it is not going to be a very accurate representation.

#131 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,259 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Guys we are going to be fine... I have Crow in my fantasy lineup... We are coming back for sure.

#132 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Fien in line for the win. Let's eat som Crow.

#133 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Too bad Mike McDougal wasn't still the Royal's closer.

#134 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

I never said wins were "completely independent" of the pitcher.
If its literally your sole metric for arguing how good or bad a pitcher is (which is how the guy I originally responded to was using it), it is not going to be a very accurate representation.

Your quote: "wins are a team stat." If "team stat" does not equal "completely independent" then I misunderstood you. I'm also not sure the original poster said it was literally the sole metric for judging a pitcher, but whatever.

#135 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Correia may have pitched well up until the 8th inning, but that doesn't change the fact that he is Kevin Correia. He threw seven shutout innings- great for him. Still, I want my guys with the best stuff out there on the mound in the late innings of a one-run game rather than a guy who is enormously mediocre at best.

#136 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Kaplouffe

#137 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Guys we are going to be fine... I have Crow in my fantasy lineup... We are coming back for sure.

I have the other guy Rotowire says to hold in case Holland spontaneously combusts. Hope that doesn't make it a wash.

Hey, at least nobody has jinxed them by uttering the words "Bruce Ch..." Whoa. That was close.

Nice walk by Parm.

#138 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Your quote: "wins are a team stat." If "team stat" does not equal "completely independent" then I misunderstood you. I'm also not sure the original poster said it was literally the sole metric for judging a pitcher, but whatever.

I'm not sure I can think of a single team stat that would be "completely independent" of the players who are on the field during that game.

His W/L total was the ONLY metric the op used in his post.

#139 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

psst. Gardy... Don't send Parmalee again! :P

#140 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Am I just an idiot or merely wondering why Correia came out for the 8th? Even Fien would have been a better option.

If a guy has thrown seven shutout innings and is well under 100 pitches, you don't pull him out of the game. You just don't do it. He has shown the ability to dominate that lineup on that day, something even the best reliever might not be able to do should you replace the starter.