Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Friday Night Twins Minor League Report: Kernels win with Walk-Off

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...n-with-Walk-Off

#2 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Afraid my optimism will damage me somehow

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

These are great.

Seth - what are your thoughts on Kennys Vargas. If I recall correctly, you stated in an article earlier this year that you thought he would develop slower than some of his teammates.
Would you please elaborate on that? (because I know you have nothing else to do)
Thank you

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

3 questions to be begged from the Red Wings game

1) Is there more to this story on Ramon Ortiz hitting 3 batters?
2) Any grudges left over from his departure from the organization?
3) Is it too soon to thank him for giving someone else a chance to catch in Rochester?

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Lefty Brett Lee came on for the top of the 9th. He is scheduled to start for the Kernels on Tuesday, but he came in and struckout the side on his bullpen day.

I wasn't aware that Lee was being moved into the rotation. Does this kid deserve a write-up and merit potential comer-status on a possible quick move up the prospect lists? He seems to have some decent upside- 22 YO, Lefty (!), Big and Lanky, 90MPH velocity, HI K% and K/BB of 4.25. What's not to like? Am I missing something here, Seth?

#5 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Good reporting on the Cedar Rapids game Seth!

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

These are great.

Seth - what are your thoughts on Kennys Vargas. If I recall correctly, you stated in an article earlier this year that you thought he would develop slower than some of his teammates.
Would you please elaborate on that? (because I know you have nothing else to do)
Thank you

I really like Vargas. He's got incredible power. Seeing him last year, the comparisons to David Ortiz are easy. He will need to continue to watch his weight, and he'll need more bat speed to catch up with good fastballs. However, he can hit a mistake a long ways!

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I wasn't aware that Lee was being moved into the rotation. Does this kid deserve a write-up and merit potential comer-status on a possible quick move up the prospect lists? He seems to have some decent upside- 22 YO, Lefty (!), Big and Lanky, 90MPH velocity, HI K% and K/BB of 4.25. What's not to like? Am I missing something here, Seth?

Kernels are going with a 6-man rotation. Lee is definitely intriguing. Good and left handed. He was drafted about 2-3 times because of his talent and finally signed. Definitely worth watching.

#8 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,975 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Another great report. Thanks, Seth!

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Jeremy Nygaard has the report for Saturday games. I'm about to start my trek back home! It's been an amazing experience the last four days in Cedar Rapids. I will be writing some stories in the coming weeks on Cedar Rapids players. I also had the chance to go one-on-one with Jake Mauer for 30 minutes before today's game. What a tremendous person and it's clear he is a great manager at this level. Lots coming, but now lots of driving!

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,394 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Kernels are going with a 6-man rotation. Lee is definitely intriguing. Good and left handed. He was drafted about 2-3 times because of his talent and finally signed. Definitely worth watching.

Lee looks to become yet another reason to make the trip to Cedar Rapids. Did Mauer give you any timetable on Berrios and Kepler?

#11 Sanibelchuck

Sanibelchuck

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox is in Fort Myers for rehab. He was at tonight's game of the Miracle vs. Bradenton. He started his career at Fort Myers.