Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Rosters

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-League-Rosters

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

Might want to fix "Orlando" to "Oswaldo" instead. Thanks for posting these. Again some strange decisions. Morales not in NB?? Maybe the push Williams or even Jimenez up to FM once Kepler is good? Then Morales could move up, Roberts when back can join NB, Bigley could go to AAA and they can say BYE-BYE to the nonsense filler that is Clete Thomas??????? Thomas is totally redundant with Brandon Boggs, after all. At least Boggs could be a legitimate fill-in for the Twins if things broke down there.

#3 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

Max Kepler didn't make the Cedar Rapids roster?

#4 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

Bard, Chargois, and Berrios didn't make Cedar Rapids?

Is it a "limit innings issue" or ability?

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Berrios is getting some innings and stretching out before going to Cedar Rapids. Due to the WBC, he couldnl't really stretch out and the Twins definitely want him to start.

Bard is also going to be brought along slowly after fighting injuries throughout 2012. He'll be a starter, but will most likely start in the bullpen and work his way up to starting.

Chargois also was hurt some last year and they'll be cautious with his very strong arm.

Kepler has an elbow/forearm injury that they are going to be cautious with and keep him in ft. myers for a little bit.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Might want to fix "Orlando" to "Oswaldo" instead. Thanks for posting these. Again some strange decisions. Morales not in NB?? Maybe the push Williams or even Jimenez up to FM once Kepler is good? Then Morales could move up, Roberts when back can join NB, Bigley could go to AAA and they can say BYE-BYE to the nonsense filler that is Clete Thomas??????? Thomas is totally redundant with Brandon Boggs, after all. At least Boggs could be a legitimate fill-in for the Twins if things broke down there.

Fixed. I'm sure his younger brother would love to be in AAA.

It's a big year for Morales, and he knows it. Nothing about his 2012 screams for him to move up to AA. Hopefully he can get off to a fast start and earn a promotion. I agree, in general, that there are just a lot of old, veteran types that will likely make Rochester better. I'm good with keeping prospects at the right level, instead of going too fast, but I think there are a few that just make no sense. Bigley and Lanigan are the two that I just don't get.

#7 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

I wish the Twins would be aggressive and put Rosario, Sano, Berrios & Vargas in AA NB . They can always send them back down if they can't hit. AA is better than A for learning how to field. better ballparks = less bad bounces. Berrios has been facing AA quality pitching in winter ball and WBC.

#8 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

I wish the Twins would be aggressive and put Rosario, Sano, Berrios & Vargas in AA NB . They can always send them back down if they can't hit. AA is better than A for learning how to field. better ballparks = less bad bounces. Berrios has been facing AA quality pitching in winter ball and WBC.

I don't agree. It's just too risky. Look at the way Guerra and Gomez developed after being rushed. Let them earn their promotions. If they dominate a level, bring them up. Until then, let them learn the finer points of the game when the pressure is off.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

What's the rush? And learning how to field doesn't have much to do with the ballpark. I'm sure the majority of the things they're learning is from reps and coaching pre-game, not what happens during actual play (where they'll only get 5-6 opportunities a night to flash the glove).

And Berrios should be nowhere near AA. He shouldn't even be in high A at this point. The kid has pitched all of 30 innings. Let's be reasonable here.

The low minors aren't only about the competition. It's also about the shortened seasons, fewer games per week, and ability to take these kids aside and teach them how to play the game.

#10 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

2 years in a row that I am really excited to watch Cedar Rapids (Beloit). There is a lot of promise there.

#11 jay

jay

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Bigley and Lanigan are the two that I just don't get.

I don't mind AA too much for these two. The Twins have shown they don't value AAA a ton more than AA.

Playing in AA allows Bigley to lead the OF instead of battling Boggs/Thomas for PT. Not that those two are better prospects, but the Twins probably want them playing to be options to call up as injury fillers.

Similarly, playing in AA allows Lanigan to be a top option in the pen instead of being the 4th/5th reliever at AAA.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

So Rosario was listed as an outfielder on the MILB.com roster but he's probably still pegged for 2B (Seth has him listed as an infielder here).

However, that leaves only 4 OF including Kvasnicka, so maybe the Twins don't have any catching plans for him? In hindsight, that would be a slightly odd trade if it wasn't for catching depth -- Kvasnicka has an almost impossible hill to climb if has to provide value as a corner player rather than catcher.

#13 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Fixed. I'm sure his younger brother would love to be in AAA.

It's a big year for Morales, and he knows it. Nothing about his 2012 screams for him to move up to AA. Hopefully he can get off to a fast start and earn a promotion. I agree, in general, that there are just a lot of old, veteran types that will likely make Rochester better. I'm good with keeping prospects at the right level, instead of going too fast, but I think there are a few that just make no sense. Bigley and Lanigan are the two that I just don't get.

I know Morales doesn't deserve a promotion, but there is some history will low performance (Hicks, probably others) at Fort Myers and then a jump with the jump to New Britain. He is just kinda stagnating right there.

I would be actually upset if I were Bigley. He deserves a chance to prove himself at AAA (even though I have nothing against Ramirez and Boggs, it might be nice to have another option).

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

I don't agree. It's just too risky. Look at the way Guerra and Gomez developed after being rushed. Let them earn their promotions. If they dominate a level, bring them up. Until then, let them learn the finer points of the game when the pressure is off.

And Delmon Young.

I really don't like the idea of demoting a player, especially after promoting them too fast in the first place.

#15 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

So Rosario was listed as an outfielder on the MILB.com roster but he's probably still pegged for 2B (Seth has him listed as an infielder here).

However, that leaves only 4 OF including Kvasnicka, so maybe the Twins don't have any catching plans for him? In hindsight, that would be a slightly odd trade if it wasn't for catching depth -- Kvasnicka has an almost impossible hill to climb if has to provide value as a corner player rather than catcher.

Perhaps they have him pegged for a super utility role down the road. They have done this with Hermann and Rohlfing. In the era of 12 pitchers, it's nice to have a backup catcher who can fill in at other positions as well.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Correct! Way too much bad can happen when a player is rushed. Those are two great examples. Gomez turned out alright... 4-5 years later!

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

The Twins are committed to Rosario at 2B. He'll still likely get a game every week or ten days in the outfield, but they want him to be at 2B.

Kvasnicka was a first-round pick just a couple of years ago. They gave up very little to get him. He's "one of us." He has power. There's no risk in the deal. At worst, we have to remember that all four teams need 4-5 outfielders, and having some catching depth is always good.

#18 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Very disappointed Meyer and May not in Rochester--I thought when we traded Revere and Span for them, they would be part of the 2014 pitching staff--but they are not in Rochester. I think they need to be facing AAA hitters this year.

#19 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Very disappointed Meyer and May not in Rochester--I thought when we traded Revere and Span for them, they would be part of the 2014 pitching staff--but they are not in Rochester. I think they need to be facing AAA hitters this year.

See above posts about Rosario, Sano and Berrios. You will ruin them. Go easy and let them show they should be there. It has been proven that sink or swim does not work because if they sink it is very hard to resurface.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

The probably will be facing AAA hitters this year sometime. May walked a ton at AA last year, so it's wise to let him start there. He could move up quickly if he shows control.

Meyer played A ball last year. He only got a handful of starts in High-A and yet the Twins pushed him to AA.

Both of them could pitch with the Twins late in 2013.

#21 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

The level a player starts at is much less important than the level they finish at. If Meyer, May, Rosario and Sano have great seasons, they'll end at higher levels. If they don't, it will justify the decision to keep them at their current starting levels.

It seems to me that the Twins are willing to move players up quicker, once they have proven something in high A. Prior to that, they are cautious, and I agree with that philosophy.
Works on contingency? No, money down!
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#22 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Has Nate Roberts ever been healthy in April?

#23 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

AA is better than A for learning how to field. better ballparks = less bad bounces.

I'm not sure I'd agree that AA has better ballparks than A. Most (if not all) of the FSL ballparks are Major League Spring Training ballparks. Even ballparks in the MWL, with just a handful of possible exceptions, are maintained very well. Certainly not enough difference in quality to warrant pushing a player up a level more aggressively than his performance otherwise warrants, imo.
I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#24 Mave

Mave

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

The level a player starts at is much less important than the level they finish at. If Meyer, May, Rosario and Sano have great seasons, they'll end at higher levels. If they don't, it will justify the decision to keep them at their current starting levels.

It seems to me that the Twins are willing to move players up quicker, once they have proven something in high A. Prior to that, they are cautious, and I agree with that philosophy.

I completely agree-- Look at Arcia last year. Hit well at High-A to start, then proved he belongs by hitting even better against tougher competition. Now look at where he is... What a year its been, starting this time last year in FM, now with Rochester and in a great position to earn a spot given enough time for preparation and progress.

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

You probably have to keep the unexciting vets in Rochester around for a bit. Hicks may have made the team, but he's no lock to keep his job all season. I'm sure the club wants to keep Boggs and Thomas around a while longer to make sure a Hicks isn't going to need to be sent down.

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'm not sure I'd agree that AA has better ballparks than A. Most (if not all) of the FSL ballparks are Major League Spring Training ballparks. Even ballparks in the MWL, with just a handful of possible exceptions, are maintained very well. Certainly not enough difference in quality to warrant pushing a player up a level more aggressively than his performance otherwise warrants, imo.

This is true for about half the FSL parks (and that is A+ not A.) For example, the Rays' ST park (and FSL Rock Crabs' home) is worse than the Rock Cats' ballpark and most Eastern League parks (the fan experience in ST is fine but the park is a pit). The FSL ballparks that are not part or ST complexes are like Cedar Rapids :) So it depends on the circumstances. What is different (and it is a consideration and huge difference) is the weather.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98