Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Rochester Red Wings Season Preview

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Fee

Christopher Fee

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Season-Preview

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

Good stuff.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I'd say at this point Arcia has already broken out. The guy I'll be watching closely is Benson. He's a pretty big key for MN going forward and will be a big reason as to whether or not Rochester does well.

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Excellent writing. I agree witht he above, Benson is a player that needs something to happen. The lack of INF is worrisome, imo, but not much to be done I guess.
Lighten up Francis....

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Virgil Vasquez......over/under on AAA roster...30 days

#6 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

Benson is not in Rochester's Opening Day lineup. Anyone know why?

#7 Christopher Fee

Christopher Fee

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

I agree that Arcia has broken out, however whenever a young guy moves up to a new level it's always something to watch for. I do agree that Vasquez does appear to be the odd man out, it all depends on the pitchers currently on the DL and how quickly they return.

Benson has a wrist injury. It's the same wrist he had surgery on last year, something to definitely watch out for. He's not on the DL right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if this keeps lingering that he's inevitably put on there.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Virgil Vasquez......over/under on AAA roster...30 days

+1

At this point he and Shairon Martis are at best placeholders or emergency starters; With Diamond, Deduno and Harden (hopefully) returning soon, there will be rearrangements...
Still, the Rochester rotation will be pretty strong.

One of the issues I have with Rochester is that if you look at their starting lineup today (Thomas 8, Herrmann 2, Arcia 9, Colabello 3, Clement DH, Boggs 7, Sobolewski 5, Olmedo 4, Bernier 6.) has a grant total of 1.5 (that .5 would be Herrmann) prospects, which is not too great... Add Gibson, Benson, Pugh & Hernandez, and the whole roster has 5.5 prospects and the rest is suspects. Which is pretty sad. I can see half and half, but it is about 1:4 now...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Tough to have a prospect-laden AAA team when the big-league club has lost 99 and 96 games the last two seasons!

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Tough to have a prospect-laden AAA team when the big-league club has lost 99 and 96 games the last two seasons!

and way too many of the guys on this roster were on it.

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

OK , so looking at this ugly box brought out good and bad news. First, Arcia and Colabello are hitting right out of the gates. BUT,

This team decided to start Clete Thomas instead of Joe Benson (and Thomas was the leadoff hitter). Benson came in to pinch hit. If there was some health issue involved, it would seem weird to play Benson at all. But even IF Benson were out of the question, why on earth would this team give the most plate appearances to a guy like Thomas who is merely AA (not AAA) filler? I would be happier with Boggs there as he at least is a useful plug in for the Twins if there is an injury.

#12 Christopher Fee

Christopher Fee

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

OK , so looking at this ugly box brought out good and bad news. First, Arcia and Colabello are hitting right out of the gates. BUT,

This team decided to start Clete Thomas instead of Joe Benson (and Thomas was the leadoff hitter). Benson came in to pinch hit. If there was some health issue involved, it would seem weird to play Benson at all. But even IF Benson were out of the question, why on earth would this team give the most plate appearances to a guy like Thomas who is merely AA (not AAA) filler? I would be happier with Boggs there as he at least is a useful plug in for the Twins if there is an injury.

Clete Thomas is sadly one of the few guys who, when he gets on base actually is a base stealing threat.... that's my only explanation. I won't be surprised to see him get the majority of the starts unless he's hitting like Nishioka was last year around the .200 mark.... I think a huge positive today would be the pitching of Kyle Gibson, he looked good in his start.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

For some reason the Twins love Clete Thomas. As far as I am concerned, I'd rather have them cut him and bring up Evan Bigley to play LF and move Boggs to CF.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98