Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Opening Day Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ng-Day-Thoughts

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#2 ScottyBroco

ScottyBroco

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I agree that Opening day can get over magnified as the Daytona of 500.
they said the same thing today on the Baseball Prospectus Effectively Wild Podcast. They call it the confirmations biases of opening day.

#3 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Well, this is how the season starts. It is what it is. But, the Twins will rise or fall with Parmelee and Plouffe either coming into their own or going belly-up. They got beat in this one, but I like their chances over time.

#4 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Kershaw basically did everything for the Dodgers. Pretty amazing to see a pitcher hit the game winning HR and shut out the opposition. Still, it's pretty disappointing that he didn't throw a perfect game with 27 Ks to eliminate the fielding needed from his teammates.

#5 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, the first guy with a perfect game and 27 Ks, with 4 HR of his own, will finally impress me.

I was a bit encouraged with Plouffe today, but mostly based on his 9th inning AB. I think both guys are going to need a few weeks to get in a groove, but I have no basis for that argument.

#6 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Any performance given in game one and two should be ignored or given a mulligan. 30-45 degree weather is not conducive for playing the game of baseball.
...and it's nice enough to make a man weep,
but I don't weep, do you?

#7 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

Well, this is how the season starts. It is what it is. But, the Twins will rise or fall with Parmelee and Plouffe either coming into their own or going belly-up. They got beat in this one, but I like their chances over time.

I agree, Plouffe and Parmelle are keys to 2013, but no more than Hicks and the rotation. The Twins had good offensive production last season but I expect some regression this season. The rotation cant be much worse than 2012, and Worley and Correia each gave the team a chance to win in the first two ball games. Can we expect that from the each time they take the ball? No, but the success of Pelfrey, Worley and Correia along with Diamond, Hendriks and the rest of the guys in the rotation will be much more telling than either Plouffe or Parmelee when all is said and done.

I've got low expectations for the team this season, but I am excited for this team as well. Plouffe, Parmelee and Hicks will all need to prove their ability to hit at the MLB level, and with other youngsters surely to break into the big leagues this season, there is a lot to look forward to. The team may well lose 90 games again this season, I just hope to see progress towards a brighter future in Twins Territory.