Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

We're not quite the Mariners!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 kryptik

kryptik

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Rallying cry for the season.

http://i.imgur.com/yN12NPK.jpg

Courtesy of r/baseball.

#2 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

ARod makes more than the Astros.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

It's a little shocking to see the Dodgers above the Yankees. I knew it was coming but still, shocking to see someone other than the Yanks riding the top of the list.

#4 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

At least the M's have an ace

#5 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

New ballpark and already bottom third in payroll, with nearly a third of that going to a singles hitting part time catcher.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,136 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

New ballpark and already bottom third in payroll, with nearly a third of that going to a singles hitting part time catcher.

Give em time, they should be in the bottom quintile by as early as next season.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

with nearly a third of that going to a singles hitting part time catcher.

Who also happens to be a top five (or at least top ten) hitter in baseball.

#8 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Who also happens to be a top five (or at least top ten)
hitter in baseball.

He's a good hitter, but do you honestly believe he's a top 10 hitter? Sure, he'll always finish top 10 in the batting race, but that doesnt make him a top 10 hitter!

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

He's a good hitter, but do you honestly believe he's a top 10 hitter? Sure, he'll always finish top 10 in the batting race, but that doesnt make him a top 10 hitter!

On Base Percentage is more important than Slugging Percentage (not making an out is the most important thing a hitter can do). Once you properly weight OBP against slugging, Mauer is absolutely a top ten hitter. No question.

#10 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

On Base Percentage is more important than Slugging Percentage (not making an out is the most important thing a hitter can do). Once you properly weight OBP against slugging, Mauer is absolutely a top ten hitter. No question.

I guess for Mauer to be good in some people's minds he can never make an out and must hit a home run at every at bat and must carry the team to victory every time despite the 'weaknesses' around him. Yeah, ok, a bit over the top, but I seriously fail to understand anyone's anti-Mauer arguments.

#11 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I guess for Mauer to be good in some people's minds he can never make an out and must hit a home run at every at bat and must carry the team to victory every time despite the 'weaknesses' around him. Yeah, ok, a bit over the top, but I seriously fail to understand anyone's anti-Mauer arguments.

I don't know about some people, but in my mind I don't think it's too much to expect a HR once a week.

#12 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Im not anti-mauer! I think he's great. But he's paid to put up 2009 numbers. That's what got him that contract. I dont expect him to duplicate that season, but for god's sake atleast try to turn on a ball with authority once in a while. His entire focus seems to be his batting average. Im not hating on him. I just expect more. He's still one of my favorites.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Im not anti-mauer! I think he's great. But he's paid to put up 2009 numbers. That's what got him that contract. I dont expect him to duplicate that season, but for god's sake atleast try to turn on a ball with authority once in a while. His entire focus seems to be his batting average. Im not hating on him. I just expect more. He's still one of my favorites.

I blame Target Field, not Mauer. The park just isn't suited for his skillset without a drastic re-tooling of his approach (which I'm sure would lead to a significant drop in average and on-base percentage).

Six of one, half dozen of the other. What's more valuable? 10 more homers or .040 of OBP?

#14 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

I dont even care about HR's. I'd just like to see him hit more gappers and rbi's. HR's are overrated.

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

I dont even care about HR's. I'd just like to see him hit more gappers and rbi's. HR's are overrated.

Mauer is an extremely good hitter with runners on base. He converts plenty of runners into RBI... But he needs runners on base in front of him to do it.

#16 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

A number of publications are listing the Twins payroll at 75-76 million.

USA Today | Sports | MLB | Salaries

2013 Baseball Payrolls, List - MLB - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy Advice

#17 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Mauer is an extremely good hitter with runners o
n base. He converts plenty of runners into RBI...

His statistics dont support that.

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

RBIs lol

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

His career OPS with men on base: .921

His career OPS with bases empty: .830

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

RBIs lol

Now that I know you're on the forum, how have you resisted the temptation to yell MARK DE ROSA in the thread "Players You Would Like the Twins to Sign/Claim[COLOR=#3E3E3E]"?[/COLOR]

#21 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

It's a little shocking to see the Dodgers above the Yankees. I knew it was coming but still, shocking to see someone other than the Yanks riding the top of the list.

The Yankees will do whatever is necessary to get below the 189M luxury tax threshold next year. It will be interesting to see if they can stay the course and not sign anyone after what looks to be a dreadfully awful season for them. Youk is their 2nd best hitter until Granderson/Tex returns.

#22 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

Now that I know you're on the forum, how have you resisted the temptation to yell MARK DE ROSA in the thread "Players You Would Like the Twins to Sign/Claim[COLOR=#3E3E3E]"?[/COLOR]

Ha!

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

A number of publications are listing the Twins payroll at 75-76 million.

USA Today | Sports | MLB | Salaries

2013 Baseball Payrolls, List - MLB - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy Advice

It depends on if you count money to starting pitchers in the minor leagues relearning how to pitch again once they are healthy.
The other way to put it would be the total for contracts on the major league roster versus total for all major league contracts. Semantics on how you want to make things look.

#24 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

His statistics absolutely support that

#25 kryptik

kryptik

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm going to love seeing the Dodgers number go a lot higher next year too. Kershaw is going to be making stupid money.

#26 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Except for all of his...ummm...actual statistics.

#27 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

His statistics absolutely support that

Funny, it's so easy to twist statistics to make them say whatever you want them to say. When I said statistics, I was referring to his rbi totals, which except for 2009 have been embarrassingly low for a #3 hitter.

#28 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Funny, it's so easy to twist statistics to make them say whatever you want them to say. When I said statistics, I was referring to his rbi totals, which except for 2009 have been embarrassingly low for a #3 hitter.

RBI totals, by themselves, tell you nothing. The way he hits with runners on base and the way he hits with RISP tell the story. There's no way to twist those....they are how they are.

Willingham with RISP last year: .287/.424/.535 in 205 plate appearances. 8 HR/73 RBI/46Ks

Mauer with RISP last year: .372/.500/.514 in 192 plate appearances. 3 HR/72 RBI/22Ks

Who did better with RISP? Mauer did...even with Josh having an overall career year for him.

Edited by ThePuck, 02 April 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#29 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

All in all, I still like Joe Mauer. I just expect more. I want numbers similar to what he put up in 2009. That's what he's getting paid to do. That's what got him his monster contract. How is this so hard for some people to grasp?

#30 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

RBI totals, by themselves, tell you nothing.

Now I know you're screwing with me. And I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Stupid me.