Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

It Was A Good Run

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Please

Please

Banned

• Banned
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Johan Santana has probable re-tear of anterior capsule | Metsblog

#2 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

This makes me so sad. Johan was one of my favorites and one of the more charismatic players of recent Twins past. I still hope that he can recover and resume what was going to be a Hall of Fame career.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm just hoping when the Twins go bargain shopping for reclamation projects in December, they give him a call. Zero expectations, obviously, but why not try and convince him to continue/end his career here?

#4 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Wow, I just read that this might mean the end of his career. Terrible news.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#5 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Lord, but he was good for the Twins.

I wonder, assuming he never comes back - was he good enough to retire his number? Off the top of my head, I say no, though the Twins Hall of Fame is a lock. Anyone want to do some research on that?

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,762 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

This makes me so sad. Johan was one of my favorites and one of the more charismatic players of recent Twins past.

He certainly had what it took to keep my college-age daughter's attention during his pregame warmups, several years ago.

#7 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Lord, but he was good for the Twins.

I wonder, assuming he never comes back - was he good enough to retire his number? Off the top of my head, I say no, though the Twins Hall of Fame is a lock. Anyone want to do some research on that?

I'd say no.
Of the 7 #'s the Twins have retired (not counting 42), all but one have either won a WS here, or are HOF'ers. The only exception is Tony Oliva, and with all due respect to Santana, he's is not as significant a part of Twins history as Mr. Oliva is.

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Wow, I just read that this might mean the end of his career. Terrible news.

Yeah, I think I read it took 19 months for him to appear in a game after his first surgery.

I'm not a doctor, but I was talking to someone who knew a thing or do about shoulder surgeries. The comment he made was the first surgery is like trying to sew paper together. Not easy, but possible. The second surgery is like trying to sew tissue paper together. Not impossible, but near impossible to be perfect. And that was to repair an arm for normal use - brushing teeth, eating, etc - not to be a pitcher.

(Granted I'm not sure if that goes for this specific injury.)

#9 deanlambrecht

deanlambrecht

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

New York Times article makes it appear quite likely that he's finished. http://www.nytimes.c...the-season.html

#10 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

1% chance he ever pitches again. I love Johan and have very fond memories of him as a Twin. But boy did the Mets ever get hosed. What was the cost per win on that contract? $2,978,260. Cost per inning? $191,340.

Also, I have to wonder about the wisdom of letting him throw 130 pitches to get his no-no. After that game, he was a shell of his former self. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the start of the re-tear. That is one expensive no hitter.

Lastly, I'm not crying for Johan. He got paid, and then some. The fact that he can't pitch anymore is the ultimate first-world problem.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#11 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I still miss Johan, I loved listening to the Twins when he was pitching!!

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Sad, he had potential to be a special pitcher. At this point, it's hard to see him as much more than a good memory in baseball history.

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

1% chance he ever pitches again. I love Johan and have very fond memories of him as a Twin. But boy did the Mets ever get hosed. What was the cost per win on that contract? $2,978,260. Cost per inning? $191,340.

Also, I have to wonder about the wisdom of letting him throw 130 pitches to get his no-no. After that game, he was a shell of his former self. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the start of the re-tear. That is one expensive no hitter.

Lastly, I'm not crying for Johan. He got paid, and then some. The fact that he can't pitch anymore is the ultimate first-world problem.

Johan's pitcher abuse scores went through the roof when he went to NY, so I think the Mets hosed themselves more. I don't feel that bad (for them) given how bad they hosed the Twins... Johan on the other hand, I feel bad for.

#14 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Johan's pitcher abuse scores went through the roof when he went to NY, so I think the Mets hosed themselves more. I don't feel that bad (for them) given how bad they hosed the Twins... Johan on the other hand, I feel bad for.

I definitely feel bad for him. He's 33 and his career is over. The thing he loves most is no longer something he is physically able to do. I'm sure the money he has earned helps, but man, I'd hate for my career to be over in a couple years, when I'm 33.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

I would love to retire before 40!!

Johan was great with the Twins, and they took care of him, often to the disapproval of the fans. Two Cy Youngs and a should-have-won Cy Young... He's a lock for the Twins HOF. Probably not on the number retirement.