Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

10 General MLB Predictions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

1.The Dodgers will not run away with the NL West. I'll say they won't even make the playoffs.

2. The Now 5 team NL Central could be interesting and I'm certain that the Cards will be somewhere in the mix.

3. The Braves will win the AL East with pitching... Not Hitting.

4. Whoever wins the AL West will have the worst record of all the division winners.

5. The Yankees will fall hard and ESPN will have experts on every day to explain the collapse. Joe Girardi will be looking for work next year.

6. Someone... Maybe the Royals will push the Tigers hard in the AL Central... The Tigers won't runaway with it.

7. Some team that everyone thought was crap... Will make the playoffs.

8. Trout will not experience the dreaded sophomore slump.

9. Ron Gardenhire will reach 1,000 wins this year.

10. I'll nail at least two of these predictions.

#2 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Interesting. Since this is your thread - what are the rules of engagement? Can we make our own predictions or are we to comment on yours or both?

I'll start with a commenting on yours:

1. Dodgers finish 2nd in NL West. Wild Card Winner.

2. The Redbirds win the NL Central. They win it by the skin of their teeth. Injuries make it a difficult season, but Cincinatti under achieves and fails to live up to their expectations. The Cubs finish 2nd in the NL Central.

3. I concure. Although their offense will be pretty respectable this season. Their pitching excels and Jason Heyward makes his claim as one of the best players in MLB.

4. That honor goes to the AL East (No S@#t!)

5. The Yankees win the AL East:(

6. It will be Cleveland

7. It won't happen, but the Cubs will give the Nationals a run for their money for the final Wild Card Spot.

8. No sophomore slump for Trout, but it is not as good as his rookie season (.290ish BA, Mid-20 HR's, 50 SB's)

9. It won't be easy, but he clears it by 2-8 wins.

10. The odds are in your favor.

Edited by Lesser Dali, 26 March 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#3 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

3. The Braves will win the AL East with pitching... Not Hitting.

No chance the Braves will win the AL East this season. Absolute zero chance of that happening.
But, I would give them pretty good odds to give the Nationals a run for the money in the NL East...:jump:

#4 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

I feel like so many teams improved this past offseason, that somehow the league will combine to finish with more wins than losses, prompting a singularity to form under Yankee Stadium that pulls the park into hell but Batman or Brian Cashman will come in at the last second to plug it and the Yankees will win the World Series and somehow be the underdogs when they do it?

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Interesting. Since this is your thread - what are the rules of engagement? Can we make our own predictions or are we to comment on yours or both?

Either is fine... Opening day is getting close and baseball is the greatest game ever.

#6 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Either is fine... Opening day is getting close and baseball is the greatest game ever.

True dat.

#7 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Here's my take:

1. 3 teams from the AL West make the playoffs.

2. Jason Heyward wins NL MVP (38 HR's, .332 BA, 125 RBI's).

3. Bud Selig steps down as Commish.

4. Mauer wins another batting title (.342 with an added bonus of 17HR's)

5. Bryce Harper also eludes the sophomore slump with a line of .280 BA, 32 HR's, 102 RBI's, 18 SB's.

6. Adam Wainwright wins NL Cy Young (2.30 ERA, 21 Wins, 205 SO's).

7. Toronto does not make the playoffs, Anthopolous (?) retains his job.

8. R.A. Dickey has the following Line: 4.20 ERA, 13 Wins, 12 Losses, 130 SO's.

9. Anson Williams sings the National Anthem, Game 1, World Series.

10. Braves over the Yankees 4 games to 1.

#8 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

[quote name='Riverbrian']1.The Dodgers will not run away with the NL West. I'll say they won't even make the playoffs. [/QUOTE]

I think the Dodgers win it but narrowly, edging the Giants by <3 games.

[quote name='Riverbrian']2. The Now 5 team NL Central could be interesting and I'm certain that the Cards will be somewhere in the mix. [/QUOTE]

The Cards will win the Central. Their SP is pretty deep, and they will find a way to make room for Taveras by June.

[quote name='Riverbrian']3. The Braves will win the AL East with pitching... Not Hitting. [/QUOTE]
I can't see the Braves running down the Nats. But the Braves will earn a WC berth.
[quote name='Riverbrian']4. Whoever wins the AL West will have the worst record of all the division winners. [/QUOTE]
Disagree. The Angels will battle the Tigers for the best record in the AL, they are just too loaded. The worst division winner will come out of the NL Central (Cards).
[quote name='Riverbrian']5. The Yankees will fall hard and ESPN will have experts on every day to explain the collapse. Joe Girardi will be looking for work next year. [/QUOTE]
Agree. The Yanks will duel the O's and Sox for last place. Girardi and Cashman both fired.

[quote name='Riverbrian']6. Someone... Maybe the Royals will push the Tigers hard in the AL Central... The Tigers won't runaway with it. [/QUOTE]
I think the White Sox will push them, at times, but at the end the Tigers win comfortably.

[quote name='Riverbrian']7. Some team that everyone thought was crap... Will make the playoffs. [/QUOTE]
I agree, and it will be the Mariners.

[quote name='Riverbrian']8. Trout will not experience the dreaded sophomore slump. [/QUOTE]
Agreed. He'll be even better this year.
My projections: .329/.410/.589, 33HR, 56SB

[quote name='Riverbrian']9. Ron Gardenhire will reach 1,000 wins this year. [/QUOTE]
Close, but no cigar. Twins win 67 games, leaving Gardy at 999 wins. Whether Gardy gets fired or not depends on his loyalty to Rick Anderson, as Anderson gets the axe, I'm not sure if Gardy would take a, "if he goes, I go" stand or not.
[quote name='Riverbrian']10. I'll nail at least two of these predictions.[/QUOTE]
You will nail 5 of them. (2,5,7,8,10)

#9 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

I know some others have mentioned him, but I'm especially high on Jason Heyward coming into the year. I think some pressure comes off him and he really grows into his full potential

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

I know some others have mentioned him, but I'm especially high on Jason Heyward coming into the year. I think some pressure comes off him and he really grows into his full potential

He's going to bat 2nd in a loaded lineup, and he's become the team leader off the field with the loss of Chipper, David Ross, and Eric Hinske, the three leaders of the team in 2012. I'm not sure that he'll put up MVP numbers because of his role in the lineup, but I could see him going for a much improved average (>.300), 25+ HR, 100 R/RBI, and 20+ SB.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#11 Puckmen

Puckmen

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Trout will put up good hitting numbers, but there is no way he gets 49 SB's again. He came into camp at 240 pounds this year...even if he drops some pounds during camp, stealing bags at that weight will put a pounding on his body. I doubt the Angels will let him steal like he did last year (and with Hamilton and Pujols hitting behind him, they don't really need him to run wild). I say Trout steals about 30 bases this season.

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Trout will put up good hitting numbers, but there is no way he gets 49 SB's again. He came into camp at 240 pounds this year...even if he drops some pounds during camp, stealing bags at that weight will put a pounding on his body. I doubt the Angels will let him steal like he did last year (and with Hamilton and Pujols hitting behind him, they don't really need him to run wild). I say Trout steals about 30 bases this season.

I have faith that Scoscia is smart enought not to put a stop sign up on one of Trouts best tools.
I think Trout steals ~50 bases again this season. He's just too damn good at it to tell him to stop. Those extra bases are very valuable.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Trout will put up great numbers, but not as good as last year, and people will say he slumped, even though he is the 3rd or 4th best player overall....

Verlander will get hurt, it is inevitable now that he's signed this obscene contract.

Nationals will be awesome this year in the regular season. I don't predict the post season.

Torono will win the East, but not be as dominant as they hope.
Lighten up Francis....

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

I have faith that Scoscia is smart enought not to put a stop sign up on one of Trouts best tools.
I think Trout steals ~50 bases again this season. He's just too damn good at it to tell him to stop. Those extra bases are very valuable.

Plus... Scioscia is aggressive on the bases... I think Scioscia hands out the green light more often than Hal Jordan.

#15 Puckmen

Puckmen

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Trout stolen bases in 2013 = 33

I believe I had that.

#16 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Overall, Trout was even better offensively than last year. Dude is a beast.

Over at Fangraphs they took a poll of a few MLB players asking them who they thought was the best player in MLB. Half said Trout, half said Cabrera, and no one else was mentioned.
Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

#17 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

It looks to me like RB did pretty well with his predictions in general. At least as well (or better) than most of the paid prognosticators.

#18 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

It looks to me like RB did pretty well with his predictions in general. At least as well (or better) than most of the paid prognosticators.

He went 4-4, with #5 and #7 being debatable based on people's expectations/perceptions. That's pretty darn good.

For me, neither #5 not #7 were true...but for some one or both may have been.
Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

#19 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Not too bad, Riverbrian.

Not bad at all. (at least two are right, and others off by just a couple of games)

I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Good work guys, though I laughed a little big about the Cardinals being in the mix. Quite a limb you went out on there RB! The Braves winning with pitching was a pretty good prediction considering their big paydays to offensive players this past offseason. In fact they won despite the hitting.

#21 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Good work guys, though I laughed a little big about the Cardinals being in the mix. Quite a limb you went out on there RB! The Braves winning with pitching was a pretty good prediction considering their big paydays to offensive players this past offseason. In fact they won despite the hitting.

In the NL, they were like 4th in runs scored...outscoring the Dodgers and the Pirates...and 3rd in OPS.

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

In the NL, they were like 4th in runs scored...outscoring the Dodgers and the Pirates...and 3rd in OPS.

True, I guess I have in mind the disappointing season from Justin Upton considering his start to the year and the Jason Heyword letdown. More glaring are the historically bad seasons by BJ and Uggla. Those two would even stand out in the Twins lineup. If you looked hard enough.

#23 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Exactly this. They had an excellent offense all season. In the end, they won this year based on their pitching and Andrelton Simmons. Here's an interesting tid bit: anyone believe Andrelton Simmons receives an NL MVP vote? He just finished with the highest positive DRS (defensive runs saved) score in the history of the statistic.

#24 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

True, I guess I have in mind the disappointing season from Justin Upton considering his start to the year and the Jason Heyword letdown. More glaring are the historically bad seasons by BJ and Uggla. Those two would even stand out in the Twins lineup. If you looked hard enough.

They countered that with drastic jumps from Freddie Freeman and Chris Johnson, solid production from Brian McCann, and streaky spurts from guys like Evan Gattis and Jordan Schafer. That said, Heyward's injury was really his downfall. He had an excellent second half once he was healthy (.305/.397/.534).

#25 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Exactly this. They had an excellent offense all season. In the end, they won this year based on their pitching and Andrelton Simmons. Here's an interesting tid bit: anyone believe Andrelton Simmons receives an NL MVP vote? He just finished with the highest positive DRS (defensive runs saved) score in the history of the statistic.

He deserves some love for sure...the guy is a beast on defense....but I don't think he will this year.