Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Five predictions

dozier florimon hicks starting rotation
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

The original five:

1) The Twins will use more than 10 starting pitchers.
I agree, but I'm not troubled by it. Add Diamond and Gibson to the five we're starting with and you're up to 7. Pitchers missing starts + September call-ups get you to 10 easily.

2) Aaron Hicks will be optioned to Rochester at some point this year.
Not a chance. Did you see that double-play-that-wasn't? Hicks outran a fly ball in the gap, then threw on the run (running towards the foul line) to first base for a double play. All for naught because a balk was called. Nevertheless, we finally have a CF that can throw the ball! Let Buxton play LF.

3) At least two players that go north will be traded by the July 31 trade deadline.
I would love to see Correia traded. That would mean we don't need him any more. OK, I'm dreaming. If we're sellers at the deadline, I think Willingham and Carroll and your choice of veteran pitchers could be traded. Make room for more youngsters.

4) Pedro Florimon will not start 100 games at SS for the 2013 Twins. This could be true. I haven't seen enough of Escobar, but they say he's a better fielder. That's all we need from SS.

5) Brian Dozier will establish himself as a major league regular at second base. Agreed.

Now my predictions:

1. The starting pitching will be better than last year, and could be a lot better if Gibson returns to form.

2. Morneau and Mauer are both going to have monster years. If the rest of the lineup does as well as it did last year (in the aggregate), we will score 100 more runs.

3. Dozier will establish himself as an average-hitting, superior-fielding second baseman.

4. Hicks will establish himself as an average-hitting, superior-fielding CF and come in third for ROY honors.

5. Parmalee will be a bust, and end up platooning with Mastroianni in RF.

6. Twins will win 81 games.

#32 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

1. Hicks will be in the top 3 in votes for ROY
2. Mauer will be MVP
3. Dozier and Florimon will catch enough balls to stay the regulars up the middle all year
4. Escobar will play well and often at both SS and 2B
5. Neither Correia nor Worely will finish he season in the rotation
6. Alex Meyer will be in the rotation in August

#33 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

1) Deduno will continue his dominance in AAA and will become a permanent member of the rotation. He will be the starting pitching bright spot this season.

2) Morneau will be back to his old self and get traded to the Blue Jays for Noah Syndergaard and a throw in middle infielder. He will finish his career with the Twins after winning the World Series (hey, one can dream).

3) The middle infield will not be good. Dozier will show enough to keep his job, but no one is going to be excited about him.

4) Plouffe and Parmalee will show their bats are for real.

5) Pitching will be bad as Pelfrey and Correia will struggle mightily and Diamond will regress. Worley will put up #3 stats.

Other thoughts: Arcia will hit well and Benson will re-establish his value as well. Hicks will be good enough to keep the job but not inspiring. The Twins are going to draft two good college pitchers in the first two rounds and trade Willingham for a decent AA SS prospect.

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

1) Deduno will continue his dominance in AAA and will become a permanent member of the rotation. He will be the starting pitching bright spot this season.

2) Morneau will be back to his old self and get traded to the Blue Jays for Noah Syndergaard and a throw in middle infielder. He will finish his career with the Twins after winning the World Series (hey, one can dream).

3) The middle infield will not be good. Dozier will show enough to keep his job, but no one is going to be excited about him.

4) Plouffe and Parmalee will show their bats are for real.

5) Pitching will be bad as Pelfrey and Correia will struggle mightily and Diamond will regress. Worley will put up #3 stats.

Other thoughts: Arcia will hit well and Benson will re-establish his value as well. Hicks will be good enough to keep the job but not inspiring. The Twins are going to draft two good college pitchers in the first two rounds and trade Willingham for a decent AA SS prospect.

I have a feeling the Mets might object to that.

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

got to stop using older propsect lists.

#36 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hicks got another catch-em-out--throw-em-out double play today. Denard who?

#37 Puckmen

Puckmen

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

1. The Twins will win 88 games, shock the world and make the playoffs.

Yikes, I think you might have been hitting the vodka a little too hard when you wrote that!

#38 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

I'm surprised he said 88. Usually his early season predictions top 100.

#39 norcaltwinsfan

norcaltwinsfan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Here's mine (maybe more wish list) - Joe will move into the #2 batting order slot. Bat .355. OBP = .475. HR = 4. GIDP = 24. Which means that when he's not getting base, he's rolling over grounders to 2B.

Maybe I don't dream big enough!

#40 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

1) Justin Morneau is the AL MVP.
2) Joe Mauer hits .343.
3) Mike Pelfrey win 15 games.
4) Jamey Carroll starts the most games at SS.
5) Josh Willingham is named World Series MVP.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dozier, florimon, hicks, starting rotation