Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

The unofficial Off-field Injury tracker thread

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

I think we've seen enough freak injuries to baseball players over the past year, to start keeping track. First up is Mark Rzepczynski's eye bruise from March 8

On his second shot on the first hole of a round of golf, Rzepczynski attempted to punch shot around a tree. He made the shot and collapsed, his eye struck and bruised by something. The golf ball traveled far enough that he is unsure how it could ricochet off the tree and his eye and still carry into the fairway.

Cardinals lefty Rzepczynski injures eye in golf outing : Sports

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hehe, there's a Polish joke in there somewhere.

#3 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Arizona right-hander Ian Kennedy will miss his next start after cutting his right index finger while doing the dishes this week.

Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said Kennedy cut his finger a couple of days ago and threw a bullpen session on Saturday with a Band-Aid on it. He said the Diamondbacks considered several options that might allow Kennedy to pitch on Monday, including glue, but the team decided not to interfere with the healing process.

Ian Kennedy of Arizona Diamondbacks will miss next start after cutting finger while doing dishes - ESPN

#4 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

You can't make up some of the absurd off the field injuries that baseball players manage to inflict on themselves.
Here are some of my favorites:
Terry Mullholland scratched his eye sleeping on a feather pillow. (The feather poked through).
Sammy Sosa strained his back with a "violent" sneeze!

Bret Barberie rubbed chili sauce in his eye.

(Not an injury but hilarious) Ray Quinones was unavailable to pinch hit because he was in the clubhouse playing Nintendo.

Greg Harris strained his elbow flipping sunflower seeds in the bullpen.

Of course, Marty Cordova burning his face in a tanning booth.

Steve Sparks dislocated his shoulder attempting to tear a phone book in half.

Jose Cardenal missed a game because he was up all night due to crickets chirping in his hotel room.

Glenallen Hill fell out of bed during a nightmare in which he was covered in spiders, falling through a glass table, suffering multiple cuts.

Rich Harden strained his shoulder turning off his alarm clock.

Carlos Perez tried to "race" the team bus, causing an accident in which he broke his nose.

John Smoltz and Lew Ford both injured themselves trying to iron a shirt they were wearing.

Oddibe McDowell sliced his hand buttering a dinner roll.

Nolan Ryan was bitten by a coyote. (Why does this one not surprise me at all?)

Terry Harper injured his shoulder high fiving a teammate. (Anyone remember who the teammate was?)

Vince Coleman being rolled up in the automatic tarp machine at Busch Stadium, LOL.

David Cone was bitten by a Jack Russell Terrier.

#5 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Those are good- I remember the Glenallen Hill story. He was seriously hurt.

There was also a St Louis Cardinal pitcher who was out for a while with a broken hand. He claimed it was from falling, then bragged that he'd actually hurt himself punching out his sister's husband.

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Marty Cordova's was up there...missed a game as a result of severe burns to his face from a tanning lamp.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Sammy Sosa strained his back with a "violent" sneeze!

I did that once. Was walking down the street, sneezed, and instantly felt something bad in the lower/sacroiliac area - took a week until I could walk without a limp. Now when I feel a sneeze coming on, I stop. Talk about "can't walk and chew gum at the same time"!

In Dick Allen's book he described a career-threatening cut to his hand from pushing a disabled car and putting his hand through the headlight. Smart.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 31 May 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#8 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Not to be a 1-upper but... deer hunting, 2002 I think. Bundled up, cold outside. Sat in my stand for an hour or better. Starting to get numb. Then I hear something to my 6 o'clock. Slowly turn my head, then the noise stops, so I freeze. Strain my EYE trying to see what the hell was over there (squirrel).

Edited by Willihammer, 31 May 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Strain my EYE trying to see what the hell was over there (squirrel).

How long were you on the DL?

#10 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

After how many weeks of rest and rehab?

#11 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Throw in the Jeff Kent "falling off his truck while washing it" story as cover for his motorcycle accident.

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

I was convinced at the time that I pulled some little muscle in there but you know, sometimes in a man's life you have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and play through the pain - cough cough Mauer cough.

#13 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Kohl Stewart out 10 days after cutting his foot walking on a Florida beach

Notebook: Willingham headed out on rehab stint, could return next week - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

First-round pick Kohl Stewart hasn't pitched for the GCL Twins since July 22, which Ryan attributed to a beach mishap. Stewart was walking around on a Fort Myers beach Sunday, Ryan said, when he cut the bottom of his foot on a shell or some sharp object. Club doctors didn't feel it was severe enough to warrant stitching -- due to worry about infection, as well -- but Ryan also said there was worry that if Stewart pitched in the interim, it might affect his motion, hence the shutdown.

#14 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Good to hear baseball players are mere mortals and have 'epic fails' like we do.

Football, on the other hand... you never hear about these injuries. More like players tearing their knees apart, getting their back broken until almost paralyzed, and a certain player dying in the heat of training camp.

#15 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

Of course another one was Joel Zumaya and Guitar Hero... the fireballer was going a little too hard and strained his wrist, missing the ALCS in 06
[SIZE=2]Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
Better get while the gettin's good
Catch a ride to the end of the highway
Where the neons turn to wood[/SIZE]

#16 Mave

Mave

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Not a player, but Brian Cashman broke his leg while skydiving.

Jason Stark tracks these every year during spring training. A number of them he mentions were already listed above. Dont know if you have to be an insider to read them, but they are worth a read.

#17 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Apparently that’s what happened to Phillies single-A third-base prospect Mitch Walding on Sunday. Per Jay Floyd of the blogPhillies Nation (hat tip Deadspin), Walding was having a nice sit in the clubhouse when some jerk manager presumably told him to go field some ground balls or something, and next thing you know, there goes a rib.

To be fair: A stress fracture was already in the rib. Getting off the couch simply finished the job.

Phillies Minor-Leaguer Breaks Rib. Getting Up From Couch. | The Philly Post

#18 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

This one is especially unofficial.

July 30, 2013, Miguel Cabrera re-injures hip defending Prince Fielder in clubhouse scuffle after Prince found out his wife was cheating on him with Avisail Garcia.

#19 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

This one is especially unofficial.

July 30, 2013, Miguel Cabrera re-injures hip defending Prince Fielder in clubhouse scuffle after Prince found out his wife was cheating on him with Avisail Garcia.

How good is Garcia projected to be?

#20 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

It's not news, but this thread needs to include mention of Anthony Swarzak's fractured ribs from "horseplay" with teammates at TwinsFest.

http://www.twincitie...ctures-two-ribs

#21 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

A couple more I have to include because this thread needs them--

(My personal favorite) Francisco Liriano broke his non-throwing arm when he slammed it against a door while trying to startle his kids on Christmas. http://hardballtalk....istmas-morning/

And, in true Sammy Sosa fashion, Matt Latos went on the 15-day DL with a side strain from trying to suppress a sneeze. http://mlb.mlb.com/n...d=mlb&fext=.jsp

#22 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

When Mike Matheny was catching for the Cardinals right before the playoffs he opened up a package containing a hunting knife and sliced his hand. He missed the playoffs.

#23 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

Derek Holland trips over dog on stairs, injures knee, out till midseason

"I'm getting tired of the assumption that I hurt myself playing hockey," Holland said. "I played the full game and was fine."

http://espn.go.com/d...-my-dog-wrigley

#24 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

Joe Ortiz run over by angry motorcyclist, breaks foot, out 3 months

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=442715

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Derek Holland trips over dog on stairs, injures knee, out till midseason

Holland was adamant that playing hockey, which he does at times during the offseason, had nothing to do with the injury. He said he played Monday night, but was fine Tuesday before the accident happened. :whacky028:

#26 crop duster

crop duster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Chuck Knoblauch got frostbite carrying groceries at one point in his career, don't remember it happening during the season though

#27 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

Step on a cactus lately?

K-Rod stepped on a cactus.
Why was Rodriguez walking around barefoot in cactus country? That question remained unanswered because he was busy in the trainer's room, according to a spokesperson.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...8&vkey=news_mlb

#28 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Catching up on some housekeeping...

Drew Pomeranz suffered boxers break punching chair after being pulled yesterday.

http://www.athletics...y-evan-scribner

Jean Segura missed two days with laceration to head from a Ryan Braun practice swing.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=340426108

Jake Peavy missed two starts after cutting his finger with a fishing knife.

http://www.huffingto..._n_4890970.html

Eric Young got hit in the cheek by a ball that ricocheted off a batting cage, missed 1 game.

http://article.wn.co...ng_cage_injury/

Maicer Izturis strained LCL ligament (knee) decending dugout steps. Has been on 60 day DL since Apr 14.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=449252

#29 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Didn't Torii Hunter miss the Detroit game the other day with an injury suffered having 'relations' with his wife?