Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Berardino: Alex Meyer stars again

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

He keeps dominating. Gardenhire keep gushing. And Meyer is determined to make sending him down a tough decision:

With the first round of cuts expected soon, Meyer, 23, didn't sound like he was ready to leave his first big-league camp.
"I'm doing everything I can to stick up here as long as I can, like anybody else," he said. "If people say they don't think about it, they're lying. Everybody wants to break with the big club. (Twins officials) are the professionals in that respect; they know what they're doing."

But the best quote was from Gardy when he was asked how hard it would be to wait for Meyer to eventually join his team.

"Who said we have to?" he said. "Oh, that's right. Terry (Ryan) did."

It will be interesting to see where they start Meyer this year. I assumed High A when they acquired him. AA seems to be the prevailing wisdom. But I wonder if they could push him a bit.

Minnesota Twins: Pitcher Alex Meyer stars again - TwinCities.com

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Based on how he's done and what everyone is saying, I'm guessing he starts in AA.

#3 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Denard who?

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hope he starts in AA. Maybe he can start in AAA.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,343 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Part of it is politics and keeping the natives in the minor league squads happy. New Britain sucked really badly last season. I think that the Twins will try to help that squad this season. I suspect that both Meyer and May will start the season there. Probably Hermson as well. Looks like the oldies will dominate the Rochester rotation with Hendriks and/or Gibson being the exceptions if they do not make the Twins.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Part of it is politics and keeping the natives in the minor league squads happy. New Britain sucked really badly last season. I think that the Twins will try to help that squad this season. I suspect that both Meyer and May will start the season there. Probably Hermson as well. Looks like the oldies will dominate the Rochester rotation with Hendriks and/or Gibson being the exceptions if they do not make the Twins.

Yeah, I agree, the oldies will be clogging up Rochester. While none of the AAAA pitchers the Twins will surely carry in Rochester should block Meyer or May, they might anyway seeing as DeVries, Hendriks, Deduno, Walters and Vasquez all have MLB experience and are reasonable options to call up to the majors at a moments notice. The Twins may find it hard to part with them due to having marginal usefulness.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,586 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

New Britain has been in playoff contention until the final day of each of the last two seasons. Ft. Myers has been horrible the last two years.

That said, I'd definitely assume they'll start Meyer (and May and Hermsen in New Britain).

#8 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

The Twins could part with 1 of them should the need or opportunity to promote presents itself.

#9 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,917 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

I haven't seen Meyer pitch but there is nothing blocking him... At his age... With some dazzling numbers he could be in Minnesota very quick.

#10 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Gardy is hinting strongly that he'd like both Meyer & Tonkin on the staff but wont due to Terry Ryan. Would be interesting to hear what Gardy would like his staff to be vs. what it'll end up looking like.

#11 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

What??? do you just makes stuff up? Why don't you go and check New Britain's record from last year. Its just a few clicks away...

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,586 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Gardy is hinting strongly that he'd like both Meyer & Tonkin on the staff but wont due to Terry Ryan. Would be interesting to hear what Gardy would like his staff to be vs. what it'll end up looking like.

Gardy likes to talk in spring about the guys he is impressed with and how he'll go tell Ryan that he'd really like to see them on the big league roster and fight for them. But he's also not dumb. He's smart enough to know that the Twins may promote guys directly from AA, but not guys with a half-season of Hi-A ball. Meyer will move fast. Hendriks will likely be on the roster, but it's good to have guys like De Vries (who also may make the Opening Day roster) and Deduno at AAA for depth for the big league rotation. But frankly, no one is going to be holding Meyer back. It feels like he's the kind of guy that will get called up right from AA potentialy.

#13 Snortwood

Snortwood

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

If someone can pitch, and I mean really pitch, it's hard to see how the Twins are going to keep him off the major leage 25. So far this kid, and 23 is plenty old enough to be in the major leagues and thrive, has been very good in the Grapefruit League. Very good.

I would very much like to see Terry Ryan hold himself to what he said - it's time to turn this thing around. To me that means you go with your best 25 when you break camp. If Diamond is hurt, and Harden can't go, and Hendriks/Deduno/Duensing et al are not much better than what we've seen these past few seasons, and the eyeballs watching the action in FL are convinced Meyer is ready and you made that big investment in bringing him over by trading Span for him, then I say show conviction in your decisions and give him the ball every 5th day and see what happens. This team lost 90+ each of the past two seasons, it can't possibly be worse with guys with promise on the mound.

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

Only Rochester will have any complaints with the talent distributed to their team. CR, Ft Myers and New Britain are going to be splitting the talent from one of the best farm systems in the league.

btw - I initially typed Beloit. That's going to take some getting used to.

#15 Celebrity Weddings!

Celebrity Weddings!

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

New Britain sucked really badly last season.

No they didn't. They were 75-67.

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Seth is right. Nothing wrong with Gardy talking up the youngsters, he does this all the time. But Meyer isn't making the team out of ST.

#17 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

They call it Spring Training for a reason, they are in training, results don't matter as much as the process. It is really easy to get excited when a talented young CF hits 3 home runs in one game!!! or a talented potentially future ace has several dominant innings!!! Terry Ryan says he doesn't look at spring training stats, I expect for this very reason. They don't mean much especially early in spring training.

I expect Meyer will begin somewhere in the minors, it doesn't matter where so much, in part because I doubt if he is really ready for the majors. He could move up very quickly if he dominates in the minors, but don't cut short the process. The Twins have some pitchers like Gibson and Hendriks who probably should be more ready for the majors. Given Hendriks struggles in the majors last year, despite minor league success, I am no hurry to see young pitchers rushed to the big leagues.

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Of course it matters where he goes, that way I do not need to read " he has never pitched above Aaron, of course he needs more seasoning". I expect him and May to be in AA, as AAA will be full of Gibson and about 8 AAAA pitchers.
Lighten up Francis....