Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Akil Baddoo crushes Homerun in first major league at bat

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,334 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:30 PM

These are all very fair points and I would definitely like to see more trade action from this FO.

Except it doesn’t really apply in the singular case of Baddoo (but perhaps made sense with others in the past).

There simply isn’t a market out there for decent prospects who haven’t played above A ball, haven’t really played in two years, and need to be added to the 40-man roster.

That’s a hard sell and a situation that probably doesn’t arise often if we don’t spend a year in a global panoramica.

I think we all would like to see some trades, but I agree, I don't think these trades are available to be had. We see fringe prospects MUCH closer to MLB ready like Lewin Diaz and Jalyin Davis only get average at best relief pitchers with only two months of control left. 

• Brock Beauchamp, Bickle19 and wsnydes like this

#62 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

To clarify my point, I'd like to use SD as an example. They are a team with a ton of prospects and big 40 man problem. Also they want to compete against LAD so they need to upgrade their pitching. They didn't go after FA because that wouldn't help their 40 man problem. They attacked the trade market. Using 4 prospects they landed Snell, using 7 players they landed Darvish (plus his private catcher for free) and 5 players to land Musgrove. That's 16 low valued players, (quite a few lotto tickets with non in their top 5 prospects) for 3 top of the rotation pitchers. Some may argue that Musgrove isn't that good looking at his stats but looking at under lying conditions and being SD most dominating pitcher out of the gate, I believe he is. Instead of going for the bragging rights to the rule 5 loser's award they made themselves highly competitive and helped their 40 man problem, now in the near future.
I'm not insinuating the FO is terrible and need to be fired. Their development is one reason why we have this talent. I'm just showing an area where we need improvement. Where we can protect prospects like Baddo and Wells until we are ready to play them or trade them. Another interesting point about Baddo is that he bats left where our others CFers batright.

You're also talking about an organization in San Diego with a potentially historically deep farm system. You say that they traded away "low-valued" players. Multiple players traded away were top 100-150 prospects in various lists this offseason by Fangraphs, PIpeline, Baseball America, etc.

The Twins right now are not a great comparison because their top 100 guys are all fairly close to the major leagues, but if the team chose to move Balazovic, Jeffers, and Lewis (pre-injury) to acquire pieces, I'm pretty sure the fanbase on here would not be so forgiving, yet a few of those guys ranked similarly across lists.

I will be the first to tell you that I was a huge fan of both Akil Baddoo and Tyler Wells. When I covered the Twins for Pucketts Pond, both ranked very highly in my org top 100 list, but I left Pucketts Pond after the 2018 season, and I've missed a combined 29 appearances in-game between the two of them, all by Baddoo in 2019. I've watched any video I could of either since, but there hasn't been anything to show that either made the type of strides that would have you anointing one of them as the next coming.

It's akin to the David Ortiz thing all over again. He went to Boston, where a hitting coach significantly changed his swing. He wasn't even signed to be their starting DH in Boston that season. No one thought Ortiz would become what he did. Player growth is never linear, and a team cannot protect everyone. For all you and I know, the FO had a deal lined up that was "crossing t's" away from being done that fell apart just ahead of the Rule 5 that would have filled up the 40-man. We won't know, and standing here and shouting about it after literally a week of play does no one good. Enjoy the success of both young men and cheer them on.

It hurt for years to watch Jermaine Dye on another team, knowing he could have been next to Andruw Jones in the outfield for the Braves, but that's part of baseball. I ended up working with a guy who hated the same trade initially because he was a fan of Michael Tucker and hated seeing him go. He learned to enjoy watching Dye with the Royals instead.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#63 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:50 AM

I think we all would like to see some trades, but I agree, I don't think these trades are available to be had. We see fringe prospects MUCH closer to MLB ready like Lewin Diaz and Jalyin Davis only get average at best relief pitchers with only two months of control left. 

Just wait until you see the value Trevor Story brings in July. Rockies fans are going to cry and wish for an Arenado return.

#64 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,334 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:14 AM

Just wait until you see the value Trevor Story brings in July. Rockies fans are going to cry and wish for an Arenado return.

It's a shame how poorly run that organization is. Unlike terribly run teams like Pittsburgh or Miami, it appears to be all incompetence and not greed. They've had so many controllable players that were peaking over the past three years they could have traded and reloaded and have been ready to compete already. That franchise looks doomed for a long dry spell.

• wsnydes likes this

#65 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:16 AM

It's a shame how poorly run that organization is. Unlike terribly run teams like Pittsburgh or Miami, it appears to be all incompetence and not greed. They've had so many controllable players that were peaking over the past three years they could have traded and reloaded and have been ready to compete already. That franchise looks doomed for a long dry spell.

Sadly, the return for Story would be bad even for a well-run org just because he's an impending FA going into a CBA year, so teams will see him as just a two- or three-month rental.

#66 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,023 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:15 PM

You're also talking about an organization in San Diego with a potentially historically deep farm system. You say that they traded away "low-valued" players. Multiple players traded away were top 100-150 prospects in various lists this offseason by Fangraphs, PIpeline, Baseball America, etc.

The Twins right now are not a great comparison because their top 100 guys are all fairly close to the major leagues, but if the team chose to move Balazovic, Jeffers, and Lewis (pre-injury) to acquire pieces, I'm pretty sure the fanbase on here would not be so forgiving, yet a few of those guys ranked similarly across lists.

I agree that SD has a vastly better farm system than us and their approach is different than ours, I envy them. Although there were some that could have ranged from med.- med./high range (especially in the Snell trade, a trade I wouldn't have done) but non in the Kiriloff/ Lewis (pre-injury) bracket, maybe Larnach to Balavich/ Jeffers/ Duran level. Darvish and Musgrove trade I'd rate those players mainly low level & lotto tickets and very doable trades. Trades we could've done better w/ players that are expendable. I wouldn`t trade Lewis because he's in a position which we desperately lack,Balavich/ Jeffers/ Duran would have to be a very good deal.
My point isn't to rate these trades but to point out the need to be proactive like San Diego to compete and help solve the 40 man problem.

#67 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:25 PM

I agree that SD has a vastly better farm system than us and their approach is different than ours, I envy them. Although there were some that could have ranged from med.- med./high range (especially in the Snell trade, a trade I wouldn't have done) but non in the Kiriloff/ Lewis (pre-injury) bracket, maybe Larnach to Balavich/ Jeffers/ Duran level. Darvish and Musgrove trade I'd rate those players mainly low level & lotto tickets and very doable trades. Trades we could've done better w/ players that are expendable. I wouldn`t trade Lewis because he's in a position which we desperately lack,Balavich/ Jeffers/ Duran would have to be a very good deal.
My point isn't to rate these trades but to point out the need to be proactive like San Diego to compete and help solve the 40 man problem.

Patino was a top 20 prospect pre-2020. He was barely beyond rookie qualifications or he would be a top 20-30 prospect still. He'd be in the same ranking level as a Lewis/Kirilloff.

#68 AZTwin

AZTwin

St Paul Saints

• 1,187 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:48 PM

Baddoo with another homerun. His 4th on the year. He’s hitting .429 and has an ops of 1.578
  • h2oface and Doctor Gast like this

#69 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,586 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:59 PM

Hurricane Baddoo.

Sarcasm. Just one of the many fine services I offer.

#70 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,023 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:23 AM

With the name Akil Baddo, it seems like a name of an assassin
  • spycake likes this

#71 Twins33

Twins33

• 586 posts

Posted Today, 10:20 AM

With the name Akil Baddo, it seems like a name of an assassin

If you say it fast enough it probably does sound like “I kill bad dudes” even though it’s not pronounced exactly like those words. 

• spycake and Doctor Gast like this