Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Akil Baddoo crushes Homerun in first major league at bat

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 AZTwin

AZTwin

St Paul Saints

• 1,191 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:42 PM

Big mistake letting this guy go

• gunnarthor and Doctor Gast like this

#2 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,417 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:43 AM

Big mistake letting this guy go

maybe, maybe not. the name brant alyea ring any bells?

• blindeke likes this

#3 Aichiman

Aichiman

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 79 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:22 AM

Whose Brant Alvea?

#4 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:42 AM

Whose Brant Alvea?

The Twins' Brant Alyea.

• ashbury and mickeymental like this

#5 Bickle19

Bickle19

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:58 AM

Incredible how many people on a baseball website know absolutely nothing about baseball.

• old nurse likes this

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,355 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:40 AM

Hard not to be happy for Akil from my perspective. He would have been behind Rooker, he would have been behind Kirilloff, and if he wasn't already he likely would have found himself behind Larnach, Wallner and Sabato in short order.

Due to injury and Covid he hadn't played in nearly two years and never above A ball. The Twins are winning and have a talented roster. Detroit is rebuilding and doesn't. He would have been buried on the Twins roster. This is EXACTLY what the Rule V draft was created for. 

• Brock Beauchamp, Squirrel, birdwatcher and 19 others like this

#7 wombat28

wombat28

GCL Twins

• 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:06 AM

I think every MLB team loses someone that goes on and becomes a serviceable, good, even great player. Johan Santana comes to mind.

• birdwatcher and DocBauer like this

#8 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,324 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

I didn't pay enough attention this offseason so I can't go back and second guess the FO but I've always been a huge Baddoo fan. I thought our 2016 draft (Kiriloff, Miranda, Baddoo, Rortvedt, Balazovic, Jax, Benninghoff + guys like Wells and Poppen) was going to rival 2012 and I'm happy for Baddoo. I'm sure he'll struggle since he's missed so much time and the pitching he's facing now is so much better but he has talent and seems like Detroit and Hinch are committed to keeping him. He has a good eye and that might make the transition easier for him.

• birdwatcher, Twins33, Dman and 1 other like this

#9 Trov

Trov

Wichita Wind Surge

• 874 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:21 AM

Many players homer on their first at bat, this happened to be first pitch.That does not mean he will be perennial all-star.Link shows list of all who did it.Some are big names, some I have never heard of.This is 1 at bat.He failed to get hit next two times.In 1 game he is hitting .333 and if he goes 0-7 over next two games he will be hitting .100.I wish him no ill will and maybe letting him go in a rule 5 draft will come back to bite Twins.However I find that unlikely.  

https://www.baseball...ts/feats5.shtml

• DocBauer likes this

#10 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,540 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:22 AM

I think every MLB team loses someone that goes on and becomes a serviceable, good, even great player. Johan Santana comes to mind.

Shane Mack comes to mind for me. But I do agree that, as infrequent as it is, losing someone like Baddoo is bound to happen to teams with a ton of depth in the system. Frankly, I'd be happy to see Baddoo have a Shane Mack-like career. It's not probable though.

BTW, the Tigers are probably going to be respectable this year. I think the entire ALC may be under-estimated.

• gunnarthor, Dman, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#11 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,536 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

Or, Luke Hughes

#12 AZTwin

AZTwin

St Paul Saints

• 1,191 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:54 AM

Let’s trade Garlick for Baddoo. Surely the Tigers will do it because everyone in their right mind would want Garlick on 40 man roster over Baddoo
  • gunnarthor and D.C Twins like this

#13 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Wichita Wind Surge

• 805 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:07 AM

Let’s trade Garlick for Baddoo. Surely the Tigers will do it because everyone in their right mind would want Garlick on 40 man roster over Baddoo

Barrio was drafted in December 2020 and Garlick was signed in February 2021. No correlation there.

#14 Possumlad

Possumlad

• 39 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:15 AM

Ya'll are weird - Badoo was blocked in the system and left unprotected for a reason. Garlick has nothing to do with Baddoo and--given his history in the minors--Baddoo likely won't look all that great the rest of the year. 

For his sake I hope he ends up being a useful player, but odds are against it.

But the small sample size drama is always entertaining :)

• Bickle19 likes this

#15 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:21 AM

I didn't pay enough attention this offseason so I can't go back and second guess the FO but I've always been a huge Baddoo fan. I thought our 2016 draft (Kiriloff, Miranda, Baddoo, Rortvedt, Balazovic, Jax, Benninghoff + guys like Wells and Poppen) was going to rival 2012 and I'm happy for Baddoo. I'm sure he'll struggle since he's missed so much time and the pitching he's facing now is so much better but he has talent and seems like Detroit and Hinch are committed to keeping him. He has a good eye and that might make the transition easier for him.

I think they could have kept him if they wanted to.They had 6 spots open at one point and they ended up trading Wade and still carrying 7 outfielders on the 40 man.I think that like others have said he had never played above A ball and they figured no one would pick him because teams rarely carry position player rule V picks for an entire season as the bench is light and you need productive players there.It was a calculated risk but it looks like it didn't work out.

As Nicks A Viking said this is what the Rule V is for as Baddoo didn't have an easy path to the Twins 26 man and borderline for the 40 man.The Twins like Celestino's defense in center better and he profiles to stay a centerfielder and Baddoo does not.Baddoo doesn't have a great arm so likely limited to left field and as we all know the Twins have a plethora of options there.So as Birdwatcher said the Twins have really good depth on the farm right now and so some of that talent was bound to shake loose.

I know there are doubters about Baddoo's ability but he had a really good spring.He can hit pull side with power and hit Oppo as well.Being well rounded he shouldn't face much shifting. He has a good eye at the plate. He is fast enough to play center field right now and steel bases.He has a lot of solid tools to be successful at the MLB level.Personally I wouldn't bet against him.

• glunn, birdwatcher, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#16 twinfan

twinfan

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 240 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

And he's bad, bad, bad bad Baddoo. Baddest man in the whole damn room. I liked him but we are stocked with outfielders. Hope he does well but will probably not do too much. Maybe a .250 hitter with 15 homers in 300 at bats- if he even gets that many.

• sampleSizeOfOne and Doctor Gast like this

#17 AZTwin

AZTwin

St Paul Saints

• 1,191 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:53 AM

Ya'll are weird - Badoo was blocked in the system and left unprotected for a reason. Garlick has nothing to do with Baddoo and--given his history in the minors--Baddoo likely won't look all that great the rest of the year. 

For his sake I hope he ends up being a useful player, but odds are against it.

But the small sample size drama is always entertaining :)

Barrio was drafted in December 2020 and Garlick was signed in February 2021. No correlation there.

You are wrong. They were absolutely correlated.The twins had a few spots open and decided to leave them open for "flexibility" to take guys like Garlick.The right comparison will always be do we keep our prospects or do we want guys like Garlick?

• Doctor Gast likes this

#18 baul0010

baul0010

GCL Twins

• 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

Hard not to be happy for Akil from my perspective. He would have been behind Rooker, he would have been behind Kirilloff, and if he wasn't already he likely would have found himself behind Larnach, Wallner and Sabato in short order.

Due to injury and Covid he hadn't played in nearly two years and never above A ball. The Twins are winning and have a talented roster. Detroit is rebuilding and doesn't. He would have been buried on the Twins roster. This is EXACTLY what the Rule V draft was created for. 

I'm happy for Akil.I had posted similar before.The kid needed a chance and was behind many on the depth chart.  

If you look at the list of MLBers who have homered in their first at bat...it's a pretty forgettable list.Great for Akil, hope he does well, but I doubt he has a career as good as Kirilloff/Larnach/Celestino.  

#19 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,474 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:14 AM

Who knows, the Twins may get him back yet if he goes 0 for his next 50.

• DocBauer and Bickle19 like this

#20 bustedstuff88

bustedstuff88

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, I wouldnt deem this a "big mistake".....he was blocked in our organizational pecking order. Only time will tell if this was actually a mistake or not.....One HR in one AB is definitely not a sufficient sample size to base any judgements off of.