Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2021 MLB (non-Twins) Season news

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,806 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

A thread for news from around Major League Baseball.

Tonight in L.A., the Angels will forego their DH in order to let Shohei Ohtani both hit and pitch in the same game. Ohtani is starting pitcher and will bat second.

I think this is his first time in a true two-way role? Has an American League team voluntarily given up their DH in a game, since the rule change in 1973?

https://www.mlb.com/...-batting-second

So far hitting in 2021, Ohtani is 2-13 with a Homer and 6 K’s.

Can’t wait to see how he does!
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#2 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:17 PM

Just crushed:

• Mike Sixel and Doctor Gast like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#3 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

Tonight in L.A., the Angels will forego their DH in order to let Shohei Ohtani both hit and pitch in the same game. Ohtani is starting pitcher and will bat second.

I think this is his first time in a true two-way role? Has an American League team voluntarily given up their DH in a game, since the rule change in 1973?

https://www.mlb.com/...-batting-second

So far hitting in 2021, Ohtani is 2-13 with a Homer and 6 K’s.

Can’t wait to see how he does!

With hitting stats like that, including that mammoth homer, it makes me wonder whether Miguel Sano should take up pitching.
  • Doctor Gast likes this

#4 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,033 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

It surprises me that any NL team didn't make more of an attempt to sign him
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#5 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 6,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:08 AM

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Braves have acquired infielder Orlando Arcia from the Brewers.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:10 AM

Orlando Arcia traded from MIL to ATL. 26 years old and not too long ago a top 100 prospect.

#7 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,657 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

It surprises me that any NL team didn't make more of an attempt to sign him

Quite a few did.

• Doctor Gast likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#8 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,033 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:36 AM

Quite a few did.

Let me rephrase. I'm surprised that a NL team didn't end up with him
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:36 PM

There were discussions on TD about signing Paxton last winter. Really unfortunate for him. And fortunately, the Twins dodged a bullet.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:06 AM

Paxton and Trevor Rosenthal both done for this season and both were discussed as potential Twins free agent signees. Health is a valuable commodity.

• Danchat, big dog and Nine of twelve like this

#11 big dog

big dog

• 3,225 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:05 PM

Paxton and Trevor Rosenthal both done for this season and both were discussed as potential Twins free agent signees. Health is a valuable commodity.

And so darn unpredictable these days.

How did those guys pitch 300 innings a year all those years? I guess maybe the answer is we only remember the survivors. Or they mainly threw fastballs.

#12 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:11 PM

How did those guys pitch 300 innings a year all those years? I guess maybe the answer is we only remember the survivors. Or they mainly threw fastballs.

This is one of the reasons, and probably the biggest reason, why all major league organizations are carrying larger bullpens and pulling starters earlier than has ever been done in the past. The philosophy used to be to use your best pitchers as much as you possibly could. The philosophy is now to protect your best pitchers so that they will be available in the most important games over the course of the current season and over the course of as many future seasons as possible.

#13 Shaitan

Shaitan

St Paul Saints

• 1,744 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:56 PM

Let me rephrase. I'm surprised that a NL team didn't end up with him

I may remember it wrong, but I think he preferred to DH on non-pitching days as compared to playing OF.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#14 jkcarew

jkcarew

St Paul Saints

• 2,040 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:11 PM

I realize this is rhetorical...but it is amazing to think about. And a lot of fans probably don’t contemplate how this impacted other numbers for the top-end pitchers of previous eras.

Starting pitchers used to pace themselves. They didn’t Max-effort each pitch...far from it...because they were EXPECTED to pitch at least 7 innings, hopefully more....for 40 starts per season. That’s why you can’t compare any average/rate stats like ERA, H/9, or K/9, from that era to this era.

• ashbury likes this

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:28 AM

Probably why velo has gone up so much in recent years. I also think injuries have increased because of so many max-effort pitches.

I think the Twins have done a fair job of limiting arm injuries in this era. However, some guys will get hurt. That is the nature of the game.

#16 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,147 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:39 AM

There was a time when low 90 was a fast fastball. Sinkers that got groundouts or singles became a home run trot

#17 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,147 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:54 AM

I realize this is rhetorical...but it is amazing to think about. And a lot of fans probably don’t contemplate how this impacted other numbers for the top-end pitchers of previous eras.

Starting pitchers used to pace themselves. They didn’t Max-effort each pitch...far from it...because they were EXPECTED to pitch at least 7 innings, hopefully more....for 40 starts per season. That’s why you can’t compare any average/rate stats like ERA, H/9, or K/9, from that era to this era.

For the time period of 2011 to 2019 there was in total as many complete games as there were most years before 1985. Every fourth day and 9 innings was the goal, not every fifth with an occasional extra day of rest and twice through the batting order

• jkcarew likes this

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:34 AM

Today, Cardinals C Yadier Molina will become the first player in MLB history to catch 2,000 MLB games exclusively with one team.
  • ashbury, Mike Sixel, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,657 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:02 PM

Today, Cardinals C Yadier Molina will become the first player in MLB history to catch 2,000 MLB games exclusively with one team.

He'll shove someone in the back along the way and the other guy will get suspended.

Good for him.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

Carlos Rodon is 3 outs away from a perfect game...

Edit: 8.1 perfect innings. A slider on the 102nd pitch got away from him and caught Roberto Perez’ foot. And a really close play was the first out!