Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Ex Twins in 2021: Where Are They Now?

baddoo major league firsts
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 4,002 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:08 AM

When David Ortiz gives Akil Baddoo's induction speech into the Hall of Fame, broadcasters will mention the Twins in a passing piece of trivia. Viewers will say "huh", nod their heads, shrug their shoulders, and raise their eyebrows. Then they'll quickly forget - just like that, poof, gone into the ether, much like the potential Twins careers of these two all-time great ballplayers.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#62 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,307 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:36 AM

Baseball players these days have very strange names...

What? Who? I don’t know.

#63 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,806 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:04 AM

When David Ortiz gives Akil Baddoo's induction speech into the Hall of Fame, broadcasters will mention the Twins in a passing piece of trivia. Viewers will say "huh", nod their heads, shrug their shoulders, and raise their eyebrows. Then they'll quickly forget - just like that, poof, gone into the ether, much like the potential Twins careers of these two all-time great ballplayers.

They will say, “While everyone knows the Twins because of their 31-game losing streak in the playoffs, here’s another bit of interesting trivia you probably don’t know...”
  • bighat likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#64 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 6,188 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:40 PM

Looks like Raley had to be added to avoid being taken in the Rule 5 draft, and he's getting some ABs with the Dodgers now. For those who may not remember, we acquired him from the Dodgers in the Dozier trade, but sent him back in the Maeda trade.

#65 Twodogs

Twodogs

St Paul Saints

• 1,402 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

Rosario would look pretty nice in LF right now, especially with Donaldson having been on the DL for the first two weeks and now Buxton going down. Rosario always seemed like he could show up and play everyday. Sure would be nice to see Eddie out there instead of Cave and Garlic.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#66 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 3,136 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:34 PM

I got a kick out of Joey Vatto's triple play today against Cleveland. Our old friend Eddie Rosario figures in it, how? You guessed it, a base runner blunder. Schadenfruede right down the middle of the plate for me!

ESPN. Scroll down to "Reds turn incredible triple play thanks to Votto's awareness."

#67 jkcarew

jkcarew

St Paul Saints

• 2,040 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:05 PM

Graterol activated and pitched Sunday. He struggled, but velo was not a problem.

#68 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Wichita Wind Surge

• 747 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:58 AM

Lest you forget:

Fernando Romero: DNA Baystars (Yet to play)

Austin Tyler: DNA Baystars (He hit well last year .286 and 20 HRs.)

Alan Busenitz: Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles (2019: 1.86 / 2020: 2.86)

#69 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,646 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

Rosario would look pretty nice in LF right now, especially with Donaldson having been on the DL for the first two weeks and now Buxton going down. Rosario always seemed like he could show up and play everyday. Sure would be nice to see Eddie out there instead of Cave and Garlic.

The 2017 version of Rosario would be nice but currently Cave has the same wRC+ as Rosario (88). Garlick's wRC+ is 103. So, I will take that combo + Simmons with the savings and it's not remotely close. Cave and Garlick are also not as prone to base running and defensive mistakes.

#70 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

The 2017 version of Rosario would be nice but currently Cave has the same wRC+ as Rosario (88).

I think you are looking at the wrong row -- Cave's wRC+ is actually only 16 right now. (I notice Fangraphs lists Astudillo just before him on the Twins page and he's at 88, so I suspect that is what you were seeing.)

It's true that Rosario's not doing much at .224/.281/.397 (.678 OPS), but I shudder to think what kind of league offensive environment would make Cave's .136/.224/.159 (.384 OPS) into an 88 wRC+. :)

• Mike Sixel likes this

#71 Twodogs

Twodogs

St Paul Saints

• 1,402 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

The 2017 version of Rosario would be nice but currently Cave has the same wRC+ as Rosario (88). Garlick's wRC+ is 103. So, I will take that combo + Simmons with the savings and it's not remotely close. Cave and Garlick are also not as prone to base running and defensive mistakes.

So far Cave hasn't really been prone to doing anything? A few mistakes are ok when you are actually doing other things like throwing people out hitting a few bombs and stuff like that. Plus Rosario was good to be out there every single day. Which was my original point was that you could count on him to show up and play everyday and many of these current Twins don't seem to be able to do that.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: baddoo, major league firsts