Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Where should the ASG be played? (no politics)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:19 PM

The NBA has done such a great job marketing itself in China. This would be a great time for MLB to gain fans in the world’s largest country.

#2 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,950 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:32 PM

I actually think Puerto Rico could be a good location, if the infrastructure can handle it. They could use the influx of money and attention.

Update your priors.

#3 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

There isn’t enough revenue for MLB in Puerto Rico. It’s time for MLB to think big and move the game to China. Again following the NBA’s good example.

#4 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

In a different year, that might be something to think about, but there are still a lot of travel restrictions out there. And I think the logistics of making that happen in a relatively short time span, even without the added issues, might still make that difficult. But I think MLB should consider that for another year.
  • Nine of twelve likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#5 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:47 PM

The virus is waning in the Far East. It would be less dangerous virologically. This is the perfect opportunity for MLB to spread its appeal internationally. Play the game in China. Cuba or Venezuela would be two other great choices for the new MLB.

#6 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,307 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:06 PM

Time zone differences as it relates to travel would probably make China a non-starter for during the season. I’m intrigued by your Cuba/Venezuela suggestions.

#7 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:15 PM

Cuba and Venezuela would be perfect places for the game. Think of all the great players that have come to MLB from those countries. Johan Santana and Tony Olivia are two Twins greats.

#8 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:22 PM

But like you said re PR about revenue, wouldn’t the same be true for VZ and Cuba? But it would be a great idea for the reasons you gave.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#9 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:30 PM

The lack of revenue could be a problem. Probably the best idea is just to move the game permanently to Toronto.

#10 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 3,135 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:08 PM

The lack of revenue could be a problem. Probably the best idea is just to move the game permanently to Toronto.

Are you joking around? Trolling ... Not cool.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#11 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:42 PM

No trolling. By moving permanently to Toronto, there would no longer be any risk of this type of issue this year or in the future. The safe thing to do is to play the All-Star game in a country other than the USA starting this year snd into the future.

#12 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:58 PM

No trolling. By moving permanently to Toronto, there would no longer be any risk of this type of issue this year or in the future. The safe thing to do is to play the All-Star game in a country other than the USA starting this year snd into the future.

Okay, moderator hat ... I specifically said not to go there. If this thread was a ruse for this kind of response, I will close it. If you want to have a serious discussion of where the ASG should be played this year do it without this kind of subterfuge.
  • ashbury, ScrapTheNickname and Nine of twelve like this

#13 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:32 PM

I cannot imagine how Toronto could ever be controversial.

#14 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

I think it would be great to hold the ASG at a neutral site. However, I don't think there is a neutral baseball venue in the Western Hemisphere suitable for such an event. Japan would probably be the only option.

#15 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Wichita Wind Surge

• 531 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:03 PM

I hear Mars is all the rage now.

• ScrapTheNickname, PseudoSABR and Dave The Dastardly like this

#16 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 3,135 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:35 PM

I hear Mars is all the rage now.

Yeah, but they take social distancing to such extremes on Mars.

• ashbury, USAFChief, LaBombo and 2 others like this

#17 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, but they take social distancing to such extremes on Mars.

I don't think that will be a problem, but I think the time zone difference would be a logistical nightmare.

• ashbury and ScrapTheNickname like this

#18 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,608 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:24 PM

OK this is better. Can the Twins get a hit now.

The thin Martian atmosphere probably would aid them in their quest.

Sarcasm. Just one of the many fine services I offer.

#19 BeatTheRich

BeatTheRich

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 145 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:45 PM

Japan would probably be the only option.

Not going to happen in a year where the Japanese are not permitting foreign visitors for the Olympics.

#20 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

Moderator warning:

We already had one thread closed down because of the political talk. We initially gave it some leeway because of the nature of MLB's decision, but, as some people just can't contain themselves to not have an actual discussion but resort to name calling and disrespect, and then have the debate go far afield from the topic, we shut it down. So ... if you want to discuss where you want the game to be played, have at it ... but leave the politics out of it. The decision has been made, it's done, regardless what you think of it, so move on. Posts have been removed. Here is my original warning, if you care to read it. Don't step over that line again, please. And if you can't post without making a reference to the politics, DON'T POST.

• ashbury likes this