Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

MLB moves All-Star Game from Atlanta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#41 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 3,135 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:39 PM

All hail MLB

And, like you said, you are free to never watch another MLB game. It's your right.

#42 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,601 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:45 PM

All in all, I think this is a pretty courageous move by MLB.

Good on them.Good on Manfred.
  • Brock Beauchamp, Squirrel, gunnarthor and 5 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#43 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,307 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:49 PM

Milwaukee should be the new host city. The Aaron tribute still needs to happen in an appropriate venue. I feel for the Braves and their fans, because this is obviously directed at the state and not the team.

Excellent suggestion. Milwaukee last hosted all the way back in 2002, so it’s not outlandish to think of going back there.

• wabene likes this

#44 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 3,135 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:55 PM

Can’t require an ID to vote, but you won’t be able to buy a loaf of bread without your vaccine passport comrade. Oh well we had a good run. You’ll miss her when she’s gone

You must have listened to Mark Levin today? That was exactly his argument. That is, to change the subject! (I listen sometimes, hear what he's freaking out about, and then change back to NPR ... I guess that makes me a communist, right comrade?).

• wabene likes this

#45 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 17,098 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:01 PM

blatant racism???? WTF????? GA law:
- More voting machines in minority areas
- “Partisan free zone” (which includes water & food from partisan groups) in 150 feet from voting poll
- Mandates mail drop off boxes in every voting district
- Adds early voting days on weekends
- “Sign” absentee ballots by using your Voter ID or Driver’s ID instead of your signature (faster to process absentee ballots)
- Free Voter IDs
I live in Florida but I find the MLB quick decision to be politically based and not fact based.

You should read the NYT article already linked.The intent of the law is clear.

Americans should want their fellow citizens to do their civic duty and participate in elections.Any party that undermines that for their own electoral ends should be rejected vociferously for their actions.It is, above all else, deeply unamerican.In this context it doubles as racist.

• Brock Beauchamp, Squirrel, USAFChief and 5 others like this

#46 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:25 PM

As for where to hold the game, the franchise that has gone the longest without hosting the ASG is the Dodgers, who most recently hosted in 1980. They were scheduled to be last year's host and are now scheduled for 2022. (Tampa Bay is the only team never to have hosted.)

My very humble suggestion is to have the Dodgers host this year. I would think they have some people and plans already in place and would be more prepared to ramp up quickly than anyone else.

• Brock Beauchamp, TheLeviathan and terrydactyls1947 like this

#47 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• 227 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:56 PM

Good move by Manfred and MLB. I applaud the decision. I look forward to using my subscription.
  • TheLeviathan and wabene like this

#48 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:57 PM

The way I see it, there's only one question to answer:

Why are Black Georgians so against this bill and if all of this is egalitarian, why would they be against it?

Because the bill is *not* egalitarian.

Instead of listening to a talking head or an elected official with an agenda, consider listening to those who are impacted by this law; and those voices almost unanimously disagree with this bill.

Maybe instead of quoting and arguing over news sources, befriend a Black person and believe their story.

It may change your life.

• Squirrel, glunn, ScrapTheNickname and 8 others like this

#49 Aichiman

Aichiman

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 79 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:58 AM

The MLB is contractually obligated to play the all star game in Atlanta this year. They're going to get sued.

#50 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 4,002 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:56 AM

Not really sure how the current discussion on this thread is very productive.

Where should the game be played? I've got your answer: Rickwood Field in Birmingham Alabama. This is the oldest professional baseball stadium in the USA - still plays host to Birmingham Barons games - and Birmingham is famous for being the city where civil rights in this country were born. It's almost too perfect. Game stays in the South.

FWIW, I support the sentiment behind the decision. But there are a lot of people working the ASG who had nothing to do with the new legislation. Parking attendants, vendors, restaurants, and local PR firms were set to get an economic boost this summer in ATL. Many of these people are the very same folks who are targeted by this law. Atlanta isn't just made up of Coca-Cola and Delta workers. This will be a blow to the local small businesses, many of them black-owned and operated.

We could argue this to death. In the end, for me I come to TD for baseball and the only thing I want to argue about is whether Colome should be replaced by Robles or Rogers.

• SgtSchmidt11, MMMordabito and Doctor Gast like this

#51 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,536 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:27 AM

Maybe instead of quoting and arguing over news sources, befriend a Black person and believe their story.

Everyone should take this advice. Also, think about cutting news consumption (especially non-local) by about 90%.
  • Brock Beauchamp, bighat and shortround81 like this

#52 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• 555 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:42 AM

Why are Black Georgians so against this bill and if all of this is egalitarian, why would they be against it?

Instead of listening to a talking head or an elected official with an agenda, consider listening to those who are impacted by this law; and those voices almost unanimously disagree with this bill.

It may change your life.

Shut this thread down dude.This is cancerous for this site and a negative on community.It serves no purpose and none of the arguments here have anything to do with baseball.

• mnfireman, peterb18, djvang and 2 others like this

#53 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:56 AM

Reminds me of the coronavirus thread last year. I foolishly engaged briefly. Then left the site for 6 months. I agree w/SgtSchmidt11 on this, and apologize for participating in last years political argument disguised as a coronavirus argument. This one is shaping up to be another. 

• mnfireman and djvang like this

#54 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:14 AM

Everyone should take this advice. Also, think about cutting news consumption (especially non-local) by about 90%.

Local news is not much better, and I have long not been a fan of it. The one and only purpose of local news is to earn money for the station. That means getting as many viewers as possible to sell advertising at as high a rate as possible. That in turn is not necessarily conducive to thorough, properly-prioritized, neutral reporting. The process is geared more toward presentation and cultivation of on-air personalities than being informative. To illustrate what I mean, someone I know made a very telling comment when weather broadcaster Paul Douglas left channel 11 in the mid-90's. She said, "He was my favorite character!"

• wabene and BeatTheRich like this

#55 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:25 AM

Where should the game be played? I've got your answer: Rickwood Field in Birmingham Alabama. This is the oldest professional baseball stadium in the USA - still plays host to Birmingham Barons games - and Birmingham is famous for being the city where civil rights in this country were born. It's almost too perfect. Game stays in the South.

I appreciate the thought and sentiment behind this, but I wonder if the stadium and community would be able to accommodate the logistics and the influx of people associated with the ASG. 

• bighat and wabene like this

#56 djvang

djvang

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 119 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:51 AM

Goodbye baseball. Canceled our season tickets today.

• peterb18, TopGunn#22 and AZTwin like this

#57 DutchFarmer

DutchFarmer

• 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:19 AM

You asked for a source. Also, as the moderator is just seems prudent to not take a side. 

Perhaps an elected partisan who signed said bill is not a great source from which to pull objective information.

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#58 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:20 AM

what a joke, forget about biased links, read the actual law. Over and out

Google the Media Bias Chart. The AP is at the top in the middle. Therefore you might find unbiased coverage. For example, I like the New Yorker and the NYT but I realize they do lean left, especially the New Yorker so I keep that in mind. Then I check things out on the AP and find solid journalism there. At times I check in on Fox News and the WSJ. We are bombarded from every direction with information these days and it can get overwhelming. Because there is so much questionable info out there I find it important to put in a little effort to try to understand crucial events.
  • TheLeviathan likes this

#59 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,033 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:27 AM

I was raised democrat, to believe in equality and justice for all. To keep the rich elite from exploiting their leverage over the disadvantage, no bias on race or belief and rights for labor and farmers.
The focus in the past was equipping our youth with tools to think for themselves so they can achieve their dreams. Now the focus is no longer on education but on endocrination. What comes to mind is what a professor taught "seek out enough to believe you are right but not enough to know that they are wrong". Another words believe what we tell you and seek out information to support it but don't seek truth, to be "woke". Many professors are no longer interested to equip students to think but to create minions to carry out their agenda.
This fight isn't democrats against republicans. It's the "woke" against the unwoke. The far-left and the far-right believe in totalitarism (dictatorship) and they are united in bringing down democracy, and everything that we hold dear. The only rights they believe in is their own.
Asking for identification in elections is as racist as asking for identification in buying firearms or any other process. Identification is only to keep the process legal and keep people from abusing it. Anyone who is against asking for identification is someone who wants to abuse the system.
Manfred isn't interested in the sport, he's only interested in pleasing the "woke" culture. The woke culture has grossly underestimated the silent majority. This move could very well come back and bite him. Baseball is in decline this move will further injure the sport. I hate politics and my objective isn't to make anyone angry but I know it will. I'm encouraging people to think for themselves and to wake up the"woke".
  • TopGunn#22, DutchFarmer and AZTwin like this

#60 DutchFarmer

DutchFarmer

• 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

Again, you specifically asked for sources. Now you're moving the goalposts to a nebulous "listening to those who are impacted" standard. 

Here's the actual text of the bill. If you choose to read it you'll notice that it's filled with rather mundane rule changes to a pre-existing law. Things such as limiting the ability for an election superintendent to receive donations from partisan groups, and altering the process of an election board, and how a poll watcher must reside in the county either of the precinct or a county bordering. 

The narrative of this bill being "racist" is exactly that, a narrative, and the narrative itself is ironically racist in that it makes the argument of, "This group of people - based solely off of the pigmentation of their skin - can't vote if you don't allow free water." (and other equally specious arguments)

It may change your life.

• TopGunn#22 and Doctor Gast like this