Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

MLB moves All-Star Game from Atlanta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#21 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

The Unknown Comic

• 2,594 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:23 PM

You should read the link posted earlier by gunnathor and cross check it with news sources that are independent. What I said is accurate and some of those provisions even have Republicans publicly scratching their heads. They exist. They are with the express purpose of aiding Republicans in winning elections by complicating the voting process for black and poor urbanites.

This is simply a fact. Your feelings driven by falsehoods and misinformation dont change that.

This has nothing to do with feelings. Why do you insinuate that a “complicated voting process” would make it hard on only black or poor urbanites? Are you implying they’re not smart enough to follow the rules so they can vote. That sounds racist to me. You need an ID for anything these days. I won’t look into anything else about this law til somebody acknowledges that it’s ok to show an id to vote.
  • mnfireman, peterb18 and TopGunn#22 like this

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#22 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:31 PM

Gosh, I had no idea when I posted this that it could be such a hot-button issue. ;)

In all seriousness, this is obviously a major move by MLB. I believe, as the article implies, that it was not a knee-jerk reflex but rather action that was thoroughly researched and thought through with input from many sources including groups affected by this decision. No matter what one believes about the political issues that triggered the decision I think MLB management deserves acceptance at the least and probably praise for taking this step. They certainly know that it will bring criticism (and revenue loss) from some quarters, but they are doing what they feel is right and good for MLB.

• USAFChief, gunnarthor, ScrapTheNickname and 5 others like this

#23 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

The Unknown Comic

• 2,594 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:34 PM

Gosh, I had no idea when I posted this that it could be such a hot-button issue. ;)

In all seriousness, this is obviously a major move by MLB. I believe, as the article implies, that it was not a knee-jerk reflex but rather action that was thoroughly researched and thought through with input from many sources including groups affected by this decision. No matter what one believes about the political issues that triggered the decision I think MLB management deserves acceptance at the least and probably praise for taking this step. They certainly know that it will bring criticism (and revenue loss) from some quarters, but they are doing what they feel is right and good for MLB.

All hail MLB

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 17,098 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

This has nothing to do with feelings. Why do you insinuate that a “complicated voting process” would make it hard on only black or poor urbanites? Are you implying they’re not smart enough to follow the rules so they can vote. That sounds racist to me. You need an ID for anything these days. I won’t look into anything else about this law til somebody acknowledges that it’s ok to show an id to vote.

The fact you keep insinuating this is merely a voter ID law is evidence of how little you know of the scope of the law.

You've made it abundantly clear a fact-driven discussion in which reading and evidence are required is not one you are prepared to engage in.As such, you'll have to find someone else to indulge your fantasies.

• ScrapTheNickname and Dave The Dastardly like this

#25 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 408 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

Read The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander published in 2010 and then get back to me.

• gunnarthor, adjacent, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

#26 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

The Unknown Comic

• 2,594 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:46 PM

My thinking is this.... When I hear that requiring a picture id is a racist ploy to restrict people from voting, I realize that absolutely anything can be a target, and it cheapens the argument, so in no way are you the moral superior here, but go ahead with more insults, because words don’t really hurt
  • TopGunn#22 and AZTwin like this

#27 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 2,001 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:48 PM

Guys, this is like when the NFL took the Super Bowl away from Phoenix when Arizona refused to recognize Martin Luther King Day as a paid holiday back in the early 90s. The NFL has a primarily minority workforce and had to recognize the feelings of the players without whom the business model is much less successful. Similarly here, the players believed that having the All-Star game in Atlanta would be condoning a law that the players saw as having racist overtones. MLB has to be sensitive to the wishes of its workforce, as does every other employer in the world, particularly with a contract negotiation coming up at the end of the season.

Bottom line, MLB did the right thing for its business and its relationship with its players. I suspect you’ll see the entertainment business do something similar with respect to future filming in Georgia for the same reason; it’s workforce wants to be heard. None of this should be a surprise to anyone.
  • ScrapTheNickname, adjacent, wabene and 2 others like this

#28 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

Are you implying they’re not smart enough to follow the rules so they can vote. That sounds racist to me. 

There's such a thing as systemic racism--that is a series of built-in, institutional methods that disenfranchise people of color.The easy way to see evidence of this is to acknowledge that poverty disproportionately affects people of color.As a result they have less education, less wealth, less means.Any added layer of bureaucracy with which this population needs to navigate acts as hurdles.The disenfranchised are already disincentivized from availing themselves of their rights; they are demoralized again and again over a lifetime of not being recognized--they often don't seek help in navigate such bureaucracy because they rightly have learned they will not receive it. 

If you actually want those voice heard you have to give them the means to be heard; and if you don't give them the means (or the case of the law, make those means less effective), you are obviously silencing those voices.And we have a word for that.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 02 April 2021 - 05:57 PM.

• Brock Beauchamp, adjacent, TheLeviathan and 4 others like this

#29 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

This is a divisive issue on both sides. MLB guarantees ticking off at least 25% of its customers. I have been in a group splitting season tickets for more than 30 years. I’m truly torn as to how to take my own personal action in protest to this decision by MLB. I’ve decided that I am too much of a die-hard fan to stop following the Twins. So, I have started looking for a T-Shirt opposing MLB’s position. I plan to wear it,
and maybe a matching cap with it, to every home game I attend in 2021.
  • TopGunn#22 likes this

#30 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

The Unknown Comic

• 2,594 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:53 PM

Can’t require an ID to vote, but you won’t be able to buy a loaf of bread without your vaccine passport comrade. Oh well we had a good run. You’ll miss her when she’s gone
  • mnfireman and TopGunn#22 like this

#31 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• 208 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:03 PM

Source?

GA Governor on CNBC Thursday afternoon.

• TopGunn#22 and DutchFarmer like this

#32 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,536 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:06 PM

Milwaukee should be the new host city. The Aaron tribute still needs to happen in an appropriate venue. I feel for the Braves and their fans, because this is obviously directed at the state and not the team.
  • PseudoSABR and wabene like this

#33 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:09 PM

GA Governor on CNBC Thursday afternoon.

Perhaps an elected partisan who signed said bill is not a great source from which to pull objective information.
  • ScrapTheNickname, PseudoSABR, TheLeviathan and 4 others like this

#34 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• 208 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

Good for MLB. I'm not going to bother going through a step by step discussion of SarasotaBill's post. Here's a link from the NYTImes that pretty effectively refutes all of those things.

I know some pretty good lawyers who work exclusively on voting rights, including several at the ACLU. Every knowledgeable voice agree on the same thing - the law is designed to reduce the voting power of people of color. That really isn't surprising but it's worth remembering and saying out loud. 

I will not spend three hours going through every NY Times (no agenda-please) point. Here's the first point: Voter ID (free) or Driver's License Number is required for absentee ballot. Why? Because people who want absentee ballots will sign them with their VoterID or DL instead of a signature. Why? Signature is objective to verify and takes longer. Voter ID or DL # can be verified quickly and can't be rejected for partisan reasons. 

I just re-read the beginning of the article and I addressed the second point. The first point changes from 180 to 78 days to request a absentee ballot. I don't know the reason and not going to spend time to research if there is a good reason. If not, then it should be changed.

The point is partisan people have a agenda and Manfred did not read the bill nor talk with the Governor. If there issues then have a discussion. Please don't quote ACLU as a neutral party. The GA governor mentioned Delta Airlines and Coca Cola legislative representatives had no complaints during the process (only after the left went crazy). Good luck to all. I'm done with MLB. Last post. 

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#35 BD57

BD57

• 228 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:14 PM

You should find sources outside your usual ones to recap this law.

When you close urban polling places, allow the elderly to early and mail in vote but no one else, and even make it criminal to give waiting voters food and water?

Well....reasonable people can see the real purpose.

Umm .... they don't allow people affiliated with campaigns to give out food & water. They do allow campaigns to give food & water to poll workers, who can distribute it.  

Geez, the ignorance of some people.

• Jerr, mnfireman and TopGunn#22 like this

#36 BD57

BD57

• 228 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:16 PM

Perhaps an elected partisan who signed said bill is not a great source from which to pull objective information.

Perhaps a partisan posting on a message board isn't a good source for "objective" information either.

And quoting the New York Times?Why don't you just quote Biden?

• peterb18 and TopGunn#22 like this

#37 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 17,098 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:19 PM

Umm .... they don't allow people affiliated with campaigns to give out food & water. They do allow campaigns to give food & water to poll workers, who can distribute it.  

Geez, the ignorance of some people.

Definitely seems like the hill to die on there.I'm sure we could give them water with fire hoses though.Seems in spirit with the law.

• ashbury, PseudoSABR, wabene and 1 other like this

#38 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

Perhaps a partisan posting on a message board isn't a good source for "objective" information either.

And quoting the New York Times? Why don't you just quote Biden?

WHATABOUT WHATABOUT

I’ve made two comments in this thread. The first was a warning to keep it civil. The second was questioning the quoting of a partisan official.

Perhaps instead of refuting something I didn’t say, try providing information that furthers the conversation.

#39 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:23 PM

And quoting the New York Times?Why don't you just quote Biden?

Sounds like you are admitting that quoting a politician is worse than quoting a newspaper.I agree.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 02 April 2021 - 06:25 PM.

• Brock Beauchamp, Squirrel, lecroy24fan and 4 others like this

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,324 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:57 PM

I knew I should have ignored this thread. Without going into this too deeply, the first time I voted in 1992 I did so without any ID. I wasn't a registered voter. I had just turned 18 but didn't have a DL. My father came with me and told them that I was 18. That was enough. And that had been enough for 200+ years of voting in America. It wasn't until 2006 when Indiana was the first state that required ID. Why? Because it was an added obstacle to vote.

One of the truly ugly things about America is that is really expensive to be poor. Is the voter ID free? Maybe, depending on the state, but what documents do you need to get an ID? Depending on the state, it might be a birth certificate which, if you don't have it, might cost you 25-50 dollars as well as several weeks/months to get. Other states might require a notarized statement, so go find a notary. I don't think there is a single state that recognizes an expired ID so if you were driving and you got your ID taken away for some reason (usually insurance based) you now probably can't vote and you have to jump through hoops to get some kind of ID while dealing with the original problem. Some states might give you one free ID but if you move, the next ID isn't free, etc. On and on it goes.

There's a reason why the experts - not the biased voices of political parties - all agree that voter ID laws are racist: They are designed to reduce the voting power of people of color. Everything else is just background noise.

• Brock Beauchamp, ashbury, ScrapTheNickname and 7 others like this