Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Morneau

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Otaknam

Otaknam

GCL Twins

• 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:54 AM

Morneau is clearly very knowledgeable but I agree that his delivery needs a little more enthusiasm and emphasis. He has a drone like delivery and not all words are created equal.  Let’s hope he gets feedback from his employers and that inspires him to work on his new craft to get better. 

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,610 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:27 PM

I once watched a tv game with Herm Starrette, who...

You had me at "Herm." :) How did this come to pass?

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

Sarcasm. Just one of the many fine services I offer.

#23 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 345 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:04 PM

Morneau is as close to perfect as there is IMO. I don't need over the top, grouchy, arrogant know it all, talk down to me like I don't know, stupid comparisons, etc. I don't feel he needs to speak up more or be more enthusiastic. He's being himself, and that's the best thing about him doing games.

• Squirrel, ashbury, Twins33 and 5 others like this

#24 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,612 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:52 PM

You had me at "Herm." :) How did this come to pass?

Herm was from my hometown of Statesville, NC He bought a house in my neighborhood. He was a really good guy. He has been deceased several years now. I miss him. 

• ashbury likes this

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,610 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:56 PM

Herm was from my hometown of Statesville, NC He bought a house in my neighborhood. He was a really good guy. He has been deceased several years now. I miss him. 

He was only a baseball card to me, but an early one so even that memory is fond. Glad your memory is even more personal.

Sarcasm. Just one of the many fine services I offer.

#26 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 249 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:57 AM

I once watched a tv game with Herm Starrette, who pitched briefly for the Orioles and was a pitching coach for severalbig league teams, including the World Champion Phillies. I enjoyed every minute of the game and all of Herm's comments were like gold to me, because he had "been there". in the major leagues. His insight was fascinating. That is the way Ifeel about the former Twins players who have entertained me as co-announcers through the years. It makes me feel like they want to remain a part of the Twins family.I have enjoyed each and every one for his uniqueinsight and the variety ofstories. To me it's like sitting at the ball park and watching a game with a former big league player "who has been there". Dick Bremer has also "been there" since 1983.. His new book, "Game Used: My Life in Stitches" is a must read for all Twins fans. He loves the Twins, just like I do. He stories are interesting and his love for the Twins is obvious, plus he is a good man and someone I enjoy watching a Twins game with, day after day and night after night. He is part of the Twins family.So I say to each and every one of them: "Thank you. I sincerely enjoy watching the Twins games with you."

Just started getting Twins broadcasts in the last year.  I’m not yet sure about Bremer, but I agree about the pleasure of listening to former Twins players. 

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:04 AM

Just started getting Twins broadcasts in the last year. I’m not yet sure about Bremer, but I agree about the pleasure of listening to former Twins players.

IMO, Bremer is quite good now that he’s away from Bert. He’s a consummate professional and I really enjoy his announcing.

I never thought I’d say that but there ya go.
  • Twins33, benchwarmerjim, Nine of twelve and 2 others like this

#28 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,981 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:20 AM

Just started getting Twins broadcasts in the last year.  I’m not yet sure about Bremer, but I agree about the pleasure of listening to former Twins players. 

I love when LaTroy is on because he played on so many different teams and knew a LOT of players, many still current ... the stories he could ... it was always great to listen to him

• TopGunn#22, Longdistancetwins and shortround81 like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#29 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 373 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:44 PM

I like the guys the Twins have on the broadcasts and as a former broadcaster myself, I like Bremer.Sometimes there are guys that for whatever reason, just rub you the wrong way and it's tough to like them.For me, that's Paul Allen doing Vikings games.From all the great play-by-play guys the Vikings have had, from Joe McConnell to Ray Scott and others thru the years, Allen just doesn't measure up for me.I love the understated nature of Justin.I like all the stories LaTroy tells. and pitchers always have insightful things to share about how to attack a hitter, how to set up a hitter.In other words. PITCH.I love Hunter's enthusiasm (just like the way he played the game) and I like how analytical Smalley can be.Most teams have one color-guy.Some could look at it as a negative for the Twins, but I look at their variety of opinions, delivery and personalities as a strength.  

• peterb18, dcswede, Longdistancetwins and 1 other like this

#30 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,474 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:09 PM

You folks remember Herb Carneal on 830? He was pretty monotonic, and had dry sense of humor. I like announcers and commentators that are satisfied to let the game remain the focus of the broadcast, radio or TV.

• ashbury, lecroy24fan, Twins33 and 3 others like this

#31 AZTwin

AZTwin

St Paul Saints

• 1,191 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:11 PM

You folks remember Herb Carneal on 830? He was pretty monotonic, and had dry sense of humor. I like announcers and commentators that are satisfied to let the game remain the focus of the broadcast, radio or TV.

He was the best. I grew up listening to him. Just about every game and it was as I was becoming a fan.
  • ashbury, dcswede and Nine of twelve like this

#32 Trov

Trov

Wichita Wind Surge

• 874 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:25 AM

I have to totally disagree, Morneau is by far, the worst. Analyzes every single pitch, monotone voice, and never shuts up. As a color commentator it's his job to comment, like Bert did. I know I'm in the minority on this forum, but there have been many articles in the Strib with many commenters agreeing with me. My wife and I watch every single game and she agrees, we turn the volume way down.

He is very monotone.However, I am of the opinion that color guys on TV should talk more than play by play guys.I mean do I really need to hear the play by play guy tell me what I just saw?On radio the play by play guy needs to tell a story for me to see in my mind, but on TV they are telling me what my eyes are watching.A good color guy will give context as to why players or teams are doing things.I am not saying Justin is that guy, but your statement that the color guy talks too much I will have to disagree with.If it was the radio broadcast I would fully agree with you. 

• Nine of twelve likes this

#33 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 395 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

You want to get Morneau more personality in the booth? Require him to dress like this for every broadcast.

randmid_1262633643_justin-morneau-rob-bo

• ashbury likes this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#34 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• 717 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

Aaron Gleeman and John Bonnes have really positive things to say about Morneau toward the end of yesterday's "Gleeman and the Geek" podcast. A good riff on Morneau's understated demeanor: https://gleemangeek....opening-weekend

#35 shortround81

shortround81

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 81 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

True. I always thought he was the steady one and John Gordon was super-jazzy compared to him. I think they complimented each other's styles well.

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." -Pete Rose

#36 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 249 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:12 PM

He was the best. I grew up listening to him. Just about every game and it was as I was becoming a fan.

I, too grew up listening to Herb Carneal in the 1970s, in New Jersey, no less.I could often get WCCO on clear nights but only after the local public station signed off at 11:00 Eastern time (just in time for the relievers to blow the game, I used to lament).I had to go to my older brothers' attic bedroom to get reception, and they were very accommodating to my sitting in a corner of their room in the late hours.The activity was known to us as "listening to Herb."  

#37 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,602 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:22 PM

Morneau does nothing for me. I find him mind numbingly dull.

And he is one of my favorite Twins ever.
  • peterb18 likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#38 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:09 PM

I’d prefer more LaTroy and less Justin. It would be best to have AJ, but he has a national gig with FS1.
  • peterb18 likes this

#39 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,726 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

On radio the play by play guy needs to tell a story for me to see in my mind,

Corey Provus does a very good job of this. Dan Gladden does a very poor job of this.

• USAFChief, Twins33 and IndianaTwin like this

#40 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,981 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

Corey Provus does a very good job of this. Dan Gladden does a very poor job of this.

When I was visiting my Mom last month, we were out for a long Sunday drive and had on a radio broadcast of a ST game when she declared ‘This announcer is terrible. I don’t like him, at all.’ I said, ‘Mom, that’s Dan Gladden.’ She said, ‘No it’s not.’ So I said, ‘Yes, that’s Gladden.’ Then she paused and said, ‘Well, he is not good.’ She doesn’t listen to many games as she’s out of state and gets a cable package, so doesn’t listen to radio games. While some might think she’s just an old lady and what does she know, she knows announcers. During summers years ago, the game was always on the radio. One summer, she even sat and score-kept every game while she listened. Not sure why, but she did. Couldn’t do that if it were only Gladden in the booth because you’d hardly know what was really happening to properly score a game.
  • Nine of twelve likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”