Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Morneau

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 denarded

denarded

• 276 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:42 PM

I thought he was was really good last year. Maybe I'm on an opening day high (Not high) but he is so good.Who would have thought he would be so good?He and Bremer are a great pair. Coming off last year which I listened to a lot of alternate broadcasts, The Twins are in top 5

• jjswol, Don't Feed the Greed Guy, Richard Swerdlick and 1 other like this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#2 JLease

JLease

Wichita Wind Surge

• 961 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:01 PM

I thought he was interesting and informative last year but he was still a little flat on his affect. He's sounding a bit warmer and more comfortable so far, but it's still the issue he needs to stay on top of: having the energy and animation in his voice. 

But I'm happy to have him and Hawkins on the broadcast (I'm less a fan of Smalley, but he's ok)

• Channing1964 likes this

#3 AZTwin

AZTwin

St Paul Saints

• 1,191 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:41 PM

I really like how even keel he is the entire time and able to explain different aspects of the game in a clear and concise way.Im sure others prefer more animation and homerism like Hawk Harrelson but I am a big fan of Morneau.

• Monkeypaws, Dman, CUtomorrownight and 1 other like this

#4 peterb18

peterb18

• 176 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:45 PM

I think he was so boring and dull. No emotion, not funny and over analyzes. He is just not a natural conversationalist. The producers should make him watch some tapes of Vin Scully. The game is on TV and we can see what is happening. Not need to describe every little detail. Silence is good at times. And Bert had some humor. Never thought I would like Smalley but after Morneau ....After a few innings I put the sound down and just watched the game. Of course these all personal opinions.

• wombat28 likes this

#5 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 586 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:47 PM

As Dodgers’ play by play guy, Vin Scully did NOT work with a color guy. I vote for LaTroy.
  • peterb18 likes this

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

Morneau can be a bit robotic but he’s a good analyst and a hard worker. I’ll take that over the clownish antics and outdated analysis of a certain previous color guy.

Robotic can be fixed. Justin is already much more conversational than he was two years ago.
  • Twins33, USNMCPO, benchwarmerjim and 8 others like this

#7 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,981 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:39 AM

I really like how even keel he is the entire time and able to explain different aspects of the game in a clear and concise way.Im sure others prefer more animation and homerism like Hawk Harrelson but I am a big fan of Morneau.

oh ugh ... different tastes for sure. Living in Chicago and watching a lot of different broadcasts, I can safely say Harrelson was the WORST :) (imho)

I think Morneau has gotten a lot better ... practice will bring him far, imo ... give it time. But I think he and Bremer make a good team

• CUtomorrownight, SF Twins Fan and Channing1964 like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#8 Number3

Number3

Wichita Wind Surge

• 567 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:04 AM

Did they call an actual game yesterday? Can't find any reference to it on MTT..

#9 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Wichita Wind Surge

• 805 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:52 AM

DirecTV is offering a free look at it's MLB package so I watched the game. Bremer and Morneau did the broadcast from Target Field.

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,324 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:03 AM

I liked Hunter the best but both Morneau and LaTroy are good. I think Bremer is done although I liked him just fine. But he's getting a bit hard to take. 

#11 wavedog

wavedog

• 1,164 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:51 AM

I enjoy Morneau on the broadcast as well.  

• jjswol, Twins33 and TopGunn#22 like this

#12 jjswol

jjswol

• 117 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:56 AM

I enjoy Morneau as the analyst. The only thing I would say is that I would like him to speak a little louder and show more enthusiasm. He is a breath of fresh air from Bert.

• SF Twins Fan likes this
[FONT=arial black]jjswol
[/FONT]

#13 denarded

denarded

• 276 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:16 AM

I think Morneau's charm is his flat delivery and also, he does have humor, you just have to have to listen for it because he's so monotone. I personally love it. Some like chocolate, some like vanilla. Good job Justin (and Hawkins and Hunter and Smalley) Like I said in OP I listened to a lot of alternate games last year and really feel like the Twins are putting out a quality broadcast

• jjswol, dcswede, Dantes929 and 4 others like this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#14 wombat28

wombat28

GCL Twins

• 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:24 AM

I have to totally disagree, Morneau is by far, the worst. Analyzes every single pitch, monotone voice, and never shuts up. As a color commentator it's his job to comment, like Bert did. I know I'm in the minority on this forum, but there have been many articles in the Strib with many commenters agreeing with me. My wife and I watch every single game and she agrees, we turn the volume way down.

• peterb18 likes this

#15 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 3,136 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:59 AM

I thought he was was really good last year. Maybe I'm on an opening day high (Not high) but he is so good.Who would have thought he would be so good?He and Bremer are a great pair. Coming off last year which I listened to a lot of alternate broadcasts, The Twins are in top 5

'The Twins are in the top 5."

What are your other 4 favorites?

For me it's a 3-way tie between San Francisco Giants, Oakland A's, and Chicago White Fox (Jason Benetti is funny and smart, and funny! Steve Stone also!).

#16 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 411 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:22 PM

I like Morneau. He doesn't need to be more comedic. He does have humor. He appeals to me as I am someone who does not need to be entertained by the broadcasters-I'm already watching baseball for entertainment, I want insight into the game. 

• ashbury, TopGunn#22, Dman and 1 other like this

#17 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,991 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:47 PM

I think Morneau's charm is his flat delivery and also, he does have humor, you just have to have to listen for it because he's so monotone. I personally love it. Some like chocolate, some like vanilla. Good job Justin (and Hawkins and Hunter and Smalley) Like I said in OP I listened to a lot of alternate games last year and really feel like the Twins are putting out a quality broadcast

I agree. I like Morneau.I think he is funny but its just a little drier, which I like. Honestly, I think those that think he is humorless probably just don't get it, or maybe prefer the 3 stooges type.

• TopGunn#22, Monkeypaws, AZTwin and 1 other like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#18 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,991 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:49 PM

I have to totally disagree, Morneau is by far, the worst. Analyzes every single pitch, monotone voice, and never shuts up. As a color commentator it's his job to comment, like Bert did. I know I'm in the minority on this forum, but there have been many articles in the Strib with many commenters agreeing with me. My wife and I watch every single game and she agrees, we turn the volume way down.

I thought this issue was subjective with everyone's opinions having validity but then you say that Strib commenters agree with you which leads me to conclude you are just wrong.

• Brock Beauchamp, ashbury, Monkeypaws and 2 others like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#19 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:27 PM

He sounds happy to be there. That goes a long way with me.:)

• ashbury, Dantes929, Don't Feed the Greed Guy and 1 other like this

#20 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,612 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:21 AM

I once watched a tv game with Herm Starrette, who pitched briefly for the Orioles and was a pitching coach for severalbig league teams, including the World Champion Phillies. I enjoyed every minute of the game and all of Herm's comments were like gold to me, because he had "been there". in the major leagues. His insight was fascinating. That is the way Ifeel about the former Twins players who have entertained me as co-announcers through the years. It makes me feel like they want to remain a part of the Twins family.I have enjoyed each and every one for his uniqueinsight and the variety ofstories. To me it's like sitting at the ball park and watching a game with a former big league player "who has been there". Dick Bremer has also "been there" since 1983.. His new book, "Game Used: My Life in Stitches" is a must read for all Twins fans. He loves the Twins, just like I do. He stories are interesting and his love for the Twins is obvious, plus he is a good man and someone I enjoy watching a Twins game with, day after day and night after night. He is part of the Twins family.So I say to each and every one of them: "Thank you. I sincerely enjoy watching the Twins games with you."

• TopGunn#22, Dman and 4twinsJA like this