Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Eloy out 5-6 months

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Trov

Trov

Wichita Wind Surge

• 874 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:09 AM

Reading the quotes from the front office guy for Sox, he was basically calling Eloy and idiot for trying to make play in ST game.He said, "well at least it happened trying to make a play, sure it was ST game but he was trying to make a play."Not exact quote but close.I would feel the same way if Buck hurt himself in ST trying to make highlight play.I get it that players want to win all games, but sometimes you need to make a business decision when games are meaningless. 

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,608 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:04 AM

It's easy to second guess the decision to jump, given the knowledge that the injury occurred. But when I watched the video, it didn't jump out at me that the attempt was off the charts or anything. He got hung up on the fence unexpectedly.

I wonder if the team trainers will be working on upper-body strength for everyone at camp. "Soldier! See that rope? Climb it!" :)

I can see that I wasn't the only one thinking "could have been Buxton."

Sarcasm. Just one of the many fine services I offer.

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,936 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:29 PM

Reading the quotes from the front office guy for Sox, he was basically calling Eloy and idiot for trying to make play in ST game.He said, "well at least it happened trying to make a play, sure it was ST game but he was trying to make a play."Not exact quote but close.I would feel the same way if Buck hurt himself in ST trying to make highlight play.I get it that players want to win all games, but sometimes you need to make a business decision when games are meaningless. 

silly to blame a player for getting hurt for doing their job......players get hurt playing sports. way too often.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#24 big dog

big dog

• 3,225 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:43 AM

I think the problem is his lack of skill as an outfielder rather than making bad choices. He made a really awkward leap at a wall against the Twins last year on a ball he really had no chance to catch and had to be removed from the game. He just misjudged the ball and thought he had a shot. Can't blame a guy for trying (though at least that was a real game). You can definitely wish he had a better sense of when to jump and when to stay on the ground, though.

• Mike Sixel likes this