Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Eloy out 5-6 months

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,536 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:13 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...-white-sox.html

Wishing the best on recovery.

(Don't feel bad for the White Sox though)

I had to copy this from the MLBTR comments:

"Eloy, Eloy, Lama Sabachthani"

#2 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 395 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:18 PM

Don't want the White Sox to overtake the Twins this year (or any season) but not like this. Best of luck in recovery for Jimenez. 

• VOMG likes this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#3 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:35 PM

This could be huge. Fangraphs only projected the White Sox as 1 win ahead of the Twins before this injury, and Jimenez was worth 3.2 WAR himself.

Their backup outfielders on the roster right now (Engel and Garcia) both project at exactly replacement level, as does non-roster outfielder Nick Williams.

#4 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:37 PM

I wonder if the White Sox will make a move for Mike Tauchman from the Yankees?

https://www.mlbtrade...k-dietrich.html

There's also still Yasiel Puig and, less controversially, Josh Reddick available on the FA market.

#5 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:42 PM

I wonder if the White Sox will make a move for Mike Tauchman from the Yankees?

https://www.mlbtrade...k-dietrich.html

There's also still Yasiel Puig and, less controversially, Josh Reddick available on the FA market.

They haven't done anything half way so I have to believe they are in on Tauchman.Yankee's just got lucky.

#6 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,536 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:48 PM

They haven't done anything half way so I have to believe they are in on Tauchman.Yankee's just got lucky.

Who do I root for to get screwed in this deal?:confused:

• ashbury, Cap'n Piranha, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#7 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:51 PM

That is a very good question.Thanks for making me laugh out loud!:) Maybe we can't lose???? 

• MMMordabito likes this

#8 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:57 PM

Well, not signing a DH or 4th outfielder felt a little "half way" for the White Sox.

If the Yankees decide to keep Tauchman, then I guess the White Sox could pick up Jay Bruce or Derek Dietrich from them instead.

• Dman likes this

#9 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:01 PM

Bonus tough break for the White Sox: their 4th outfielder Adam Engel, who projects at replacement level but showed surprising power in small samples last year and this spring, was already expected to miss the beginning of the season due to a hamstring strain.

#10 blindeke

blindeke

• 680 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:03 PM

Puig + Tony La Russa would be MAGIC!

• Squirrel, big dog, PDX Twin and 3 others like this

#11 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:04 PM

Bonus tough break for the White Sox: their 4th outfielder Adam Engel, who projects at replacement level but showed surprising power in small samples last year and this spring, was already expected to miss the beginning of the season due to a hamstring strain.

They will do something grandiose, they have the room financially and they want to take the division this year.I suspect they will come up with something big.

#12 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

MLBTR also mentions the out-of-options Aristides Aquino of the Reds as a potential target.

Plus unsigned free agent Yoenis Cespedes.

#13 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,784 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:43 PM

WNB2-640x427.jpg

• ashbury, Twins33, Brandon and 2 others like this

#14 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,784 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:12 PM

MLBTR also mentions the out-of-options Aristides Aquino of the Reds as a potential target.

Plus unsigned free agent Yoenis Cespedes.

If the Sox want to waste resources on Aquino, go for it.20% soft contact, 28% k rate, bad defensively, and turns 27 next month.Don't let him hit fly balls, and he's a total disaster.

#15 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 1,044 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:46 PM

Doesn't win a Rhodes Scholarship for jumping above the wall on a ball that was not particularly close and then hanging from it like a side of beef for several seconds in the early innings of a blowout Spring Training game.

But, that's why you play the games, right?

#16 Giles Ferrell

Giles Ferrell

• 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 04:09 PM

I tore a pectoral muscle just watching the replay. 

• ashbury, gil4 and PDX Twin like this

Waiting for the return of the Dome Dog.

#17 jkcarew

jkcarew

St Paul Saints

• 2,040 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 04:39 PM

Well, not signing a DH or 4th outfielder felt a little "half way" for the White Sox.

I think they look at DH like the Twins look at LF (at least before the loss of Jimenez)...

Plenty of options on any given day, with help on the way from major prospects. In this case for Chicago, they have 23 year-old former 3rd overall pick Andrew Vaughn to add to the mix. It’s likely a matter of when, not if, he’ll be brought up (although, it will require a roster move).

#18 big dog

big dog

• 3,225 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

Agreed, I want to see Puig and LaRussa together. Make it happen.

#19 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:31 PM

I think they look at DH like the Twins look at LF (at least before the loss of Jimenez)...

Plenty of options on any given day, with help on the way from major prospects. In this case for Chicago, they have 23 year-old former 3rd overall pick Andrew Vaughn to add to the mix. It’s likely a matter of when, not if, he’ll be brought up (although, it will require a roster move).

The White Sox bench looked really bad, even before the Jimenez injury. I don't think they really had "plenty of options on any given day" at DH -- if Vaughn didn't make the team and produce right away, they were almost certain to have a replacement level or worse player in their lineup every single day, even at full health.

The Twins, on the other hand -- I don't know that all of our LF options will be great, but between Cave (2.8 fWAR in 660 PA), Rooker, and even Arraez, I'm pretty confident we can put together an above-replacement group, even before Kirilloff enters the picture.

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,937 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:49 PM

Bummer. I hate injuries

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins.