Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

What Will it Take to Sign Jose Berrios Long-Term

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,730 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:12 AM

Well, Lance McCullers just signed a long-term contract to stay in the Astros rotation through the 2026 season at cost of $85 million and a limited no-trade clause.

https://www.mlbtrade...-extension.html

The Twins still can take a hard looksee at Berrios for the 2021 season and not have to make any drastic move until the off-season. 

Is this a contract those Jose would sign to remain a Twin? Can the Twins roll-the-ball and get him for less? Do we feel he is a long-term answer to be the anchor of the Twins starting rotation going forward as others join him in the future (Duran, Balazovic)?

• Hosken Bombo Disco, dbminn and Doctor Gast like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#2 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:39 AM

Not really familiar with McCullers the$ seems steep especially for him but then I saw that Boras is his agent. Berrios is definitely better than him. It would've been better if Twins had signed him before this signing because now Berrios has this to compare. If we have the $ I'd pay it but I'm not sure we do.

#3 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:42 AM

Well, Lance McCullers just signed a long-term contract to stay in the Astros rotation through the 2026 season at cost of $85 million and a limited no-trade clause.

https://www.mlbtrade...-extension.html

The Twins still can take a hard looksee at Berrios for the 2021 season and not have to make any drastic move until the off-season. 

Is this a contract those Jose would sign to remain a Twin? Can the Twins roll-the-ball and get him for less? Do we feel he is a long-term answer to be the anchor of the Twins starting rotation going forward as others join him in the future (Duran, Balazovic)?

I think the likely issue with getting Berrios Signed is a question of value.Does Berrios line up as number one or number three level starter?I think there are still questions there for the FO.He looks dominant at times and other times extremely hittable.My best guess is the FO is only willing to risk he is a number 3 and Berrios's camp feels differently.The gap would be wide for the expected money versus the perceived value both sides have.I think it is going to take another year to convince the FO to pay up unless Berrios is willing to do a team friendly deal.He has been durable so he has that in his back pocket.I don't see a deal getting done this year myself.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,356 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:06 PM

I thought of Berrios when I saw that extension as well. These two will always be tied together based on age and being drafted only a few spots apart. I remember McCullers is who I really wanted the Twins to draft. I knew it was unlikely since he was supposed to be a high price tagged HS kid and the Twins already used most of their money on Buxton. Turns out both were great picks.

McCullers is one year ahead of Berrios in service time so this might be a next year deal. The Twins don't have much for payroll commitments in the near future though, so I'd be all for starting to extend some of the young guys.

#5 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:22 PM

McCullers is one year ahead of Berrios in service time so this might be a next year deal.

Although, Berrios has been a lot more durable than McCullers, so the extra year might be a wash right now? Put another way, it might have been riskier for McCullers to play out his last year before FA, than it would be for Berrios to do the same next winter.

• dbminn likes this