Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Andrew Vaughn, White Sox

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 big dog

big dog

• 3,225 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:45 AM

Imagine how scary this team would be if it didn't think James Shields was their ticket to the postseason.

Yeah, that's got Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio potential, no doubt. Yikes.

Although they also got Lucas Giolito for Adam Eaton. The trades give and the trades take away, I guess.

#22 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,470 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 March 2021 - 03:00 PM

I love it. People can talk all they want, but time in the minors can be a waste if they can perform the same in the show. You can say they need more time, but you only know that is true if they get the opportunity and fail. Otherwise, you don't, and are just guessing. 

We can always watch Sano strike out 4 times instead of Kirilloff, or Rooker. At least then we know those strikeouts cost more.

• shimrod likes this

#23 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:54 PM

Ferpetessake! If there is a hype train to be concerned about it's not the topic of this thread. Instead, it's this thread itself. There have been 22 posts (which I have scanned very cursorily) regarding an unproven player on a team other than the Twins. IM very HO people are getting worked up about almost nothing.

#24 big dog

big dog

• 3,225 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:05 AM

White Sox signed Jake Lamb, allegedly to DH. Does that mean they really plan to put Vaughn in left?

I predict lots of fly balls getting grass stains out there. Well, that's what I've heard anyway.

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 17,098 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, that's got Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio potential, no doubt. Yikees

Although they also got Lucas Giolito for Adam Eaton. The trades give and the trades take away, I guess.

They do, but I imagine we'll be talking about James Shields in our generation like the old timers did about Doyle Alexander.

#26 Trov

Trov

Wichita Wind Surge

• 874 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:27 PM

I say lets see what he does.I have concern for him doing DH mainly as that is not the easiest for some hitters.Many hitters have talked for years how they prefer to be in the field, and many great hitters have put up better numbers in the field than as DH, but that may be loaded stat based on fact they DH at end of career.  

Overall, he is considered a top hitting prospect and could be just that.He has yet to face MLB level pitching, save from what he did this spring.Even if he starts hot, what he does after league scouts him more will be true test. 

His spring numbers are fine, but I remember a few times Hicks crushed in the spring for us only to come out the gates missing every pitch someone threw up there. 

#27 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:20 AM

Vaughn is off to a slow start at the plate (.136/.321/.227, .549 OPS in 28 PA) but did make this catch in LF yesterday:

https://mlb-cuts-dia...20_59_4000K.mp4

With Eloy Jiménez still out, Nick Williams cut, and Yermin Mercedes off to hot start at DH, it looks like Vaughn should get a chance as the White Sox primary LF for awhile.

#28 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,784 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:00 AM

We'll see if it's just SSS to starta career, but right now Vaughn is making less than 20% hard contact (despite pulling the ball over 60% of the time), is swinging and missing at a higher rate than Miguel Sano, and is below average against fastballs and changeups (although above average against everything else).