Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

MLB cracking down on spin rates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,324 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 07:42 AM

https://nypost.com/2...gn=site buttons

Essentially some teams, cough cough Astros, might have been cheating a bit too much with sticky substances to get greater spin rates so MLB is cracking down. Interesting to see if this changes the game much. Apologies if the article has already been shared elsewhere.

• Dman and Doctor Gast like this

#2 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,033 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:34 AM

I think it'll change drastically the dimensions of the game and I'm surprised that they are doing it yet happy they are. It should benefit the Twins if it's enforced. Because I believe that they don't encourage it, not saying no Twins does it. That'll put quite a damper on Cole.

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,938 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 11:40 AM

Interesting. I know the past, hitters have not had huge issues with stuff, since it gives pitchers better control and they don't get hit as much (IIRC).

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#4 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• 555 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:56 PM

I think it'll change drastically the dimensions of the game and I'm surprised that they are doing it yet happy they are. It should benefit the Twins if it's enforced. Because I believe that they don't encourage it, not saying no Twins does it. That'll put quite a damper on Cole.

Bauer too I think.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#5 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,033 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:38 PM

Bauer too I think.

There's no doubt that he was using this year. But I believe he's all for a level playing field.
But if they are checking variance of spinning rates, that means that those who have been cheating priorly will get off scott free. It'll only keep those that aren't from doing it. There must be a better way.

#6 dougd

dougd

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 135 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 05:41 PM

ESPN describes some of the additional things they will be doing. "Baseballs taken out of play -- both randomly and prioritized, if they exhibit signs of foreign substances -- will be inspected by a third-party lab, according to the memo. Balls will be tracked back to whoever was pitching when they were taken out of play.

Finally, game-day compliance officers will monitor dugouts, batting cages and bullpens for violations of the foreign substance rules while filing daily reports of their observations with the league office."

Surely a number of Twins pitchers will be affected, not just Yankees and Houston.

• Doctor Gast likes this