Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Lewis Thorpe fourth option granted

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,356 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:42 AM

It's nice they got the 4th year option.

But if they're going to stick with Thorpe in the pen I don't think they're going to need it. Seems like the fringy starter prospects quite often end up bullpen aces once the team finally commits to them being a full time reliever. Thorpe's my pick for this year's dark horse bullpen break out star.

Now to bookmark this page so I can come back and delete this post a month from now if he goes in the tank.

• Dman likes this

#22 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 10:19 AM

Honestly I think the Arbiter did the right thing here.Yes this decision works out well for the Twins as they get to protect an asset, but I think it benefits Thorpe as well.If he is struggling at the MLB level he can keep working on things at AAA.If he doesn't struggle I honestly don't think he will get sent down.I think the Twins and Twins fans all hope that he never uses and or needs the 4th option and is here to stay. 

• rdehring and MMMordabito like this

#23 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 283 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 10:51 AM

Good news for the Twins. Possibly not such bad news for Thorpe either. While he could be close to making a transition to the bullpen, the possibility of sending him down to AAA means it also would be easier for the team to keep him starting for now and see how his adjustments this offseason play out. He's likely to have a better-defined role to prepare for this way, and the Twins are very likely to need him in MLB this year in any case, so he won't languish in the minors, and the option eliminates whatever chance there was of DFAing him and leaving him in limbo between teams.

• Dman likes this

#24 dbminn

dbminn

Wichita Wind Surge

• 904 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:44 PM

Dobnak and Thorpe will both be on the roster to start the season. They need two long relievers/spot starters. Stashak is probably the one to be optioned to AAA. 

Well, at least I was immediately wrong. 

#25 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 04:01 PM

Well, at least I was immediately wrong. 

Don't feel bad I was too.I guess they want to keep him stretched out and not take up a spot to start the season.I thought, I guess incorrectly that they would have him time share with Happ to start the season but since they were granted the 4th option I guess that plan changed.I don't think he will down long but who knows.

• dbminn likes this