Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Lewis Thorpe fourth option granted

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:02 PM

As we await an arbitrator's ruling on a fourth option year for Lewis Thorpe, it sounds like some similar decisions are coming down, not granting the fourth option.

In case you missed it, Thorpe and a few other players would be eligible for a fourth option year in 2021 under a strict reading of the rule that a "full season" must be at least 90 days. Usually this rule only applies to rookie league seasons and seasons missed due to injury, but 2020's unusual schedule was technically shorter than 90 days too. So the players and teams have taken these cases to an arbitrator.

MLBTR reports that the Nats lost their claim on a fourth option year in 2021 for Erick Fedde, although his situation was a little different than Thorpe's (Fedde had a 4th option for 2020 that the Nats didn't use, keeping him in MLB for the entirety of the shorted 2020 season):

https://www.mlbtrade...of-options.html

But the St. Louis beat writer suggested on Twitter that the same ruling will come down for the Cardinals' Justin Williams (who is in Thorpe's same position):

• Doctor Gast likes this

#2 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,730 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:11 PM

Then he makes the team. Who goes down, Dobnak (to start everyday) or possibly Stashak?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#3 Azviking101

Azviking101

GCL Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:14 PM

Then he makes the team. Who goes down, Dobnak (to start everyday) or possibly Stashak?

The problem there is no one goes down to start every game. AAA season is pushed a month plus. Does anyone really think Thorpe gets claimed if the Twins lose their case? 

#4 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:15 PM

I guess given those sets of facts I shouldn't be surprised.The players had no control over COVID nor the shortened season so it would be a bit odd to penalize them for it.It the players are good enough they will make the 26 man if not another team will get a crack at them and they might get to be MLB players.

Stinks for the Twins and Thorpe IMO but it makes sense not to penalize the players who might then have to endure another minor league year with no way out.

#5 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:17 PM

The problem there is no one goes down to start every game. AAA season is pushed a month plus. Does anyone really think Thorpe gets claimed if the Twins lose their case? 

If you are the Pirates or Orioles or any rebuilding team why not grab a back end starter that could be better than that for free?I would.

• jimbo92107, Twins33, adjacent and 7 others like this

#6 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:29 PM

The most recent TD roster projection had this bullpen:

Bullpen (9): Taylor Rogers, Tyler Duffey, Alex Colome, Jorge Alcala, Hansel Robles, Caleb Thielbar, Cody Stashak, Randy Dobnak, Shaun Anderson

So Thorpe could take Anderson's spot, unless you wanted it for Law. Thielbar has an option year remaining too.

• wabene likes this

#7 Azviking101

Azviking101

GCL Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:31 PM

If you are the Pirates or Orioles or any rebuilding team why not grab a back end starter that could be better than that for free?I would.

Very fair, but the Twins are contenders. Are we going to actually miss Thorpe? Most of his optimism comes from him being a lefty, not his arsenal in any way.

Thorpe being on the team makes the Twins worse. I'd rather have Dobnak on the team now then worry about the chance of Thorpe being a 4 or 5 starter in 2 years.

#8 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:39 PM

I'd rather have Dobnak on the team now

It's likely not Thorpe vs Dobnak. More like Thorpe vs Law, or Thorpe vs Thielbar.

• wabene and rdehring like this

#9 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,270 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:05 PM

I think the Twins value Thorpe enough that they would not risk losing him. Stashak has been less than impressive this spring and would be a candidate for St. Paul to start the season.
  • jimbo92107, Twins33, wabene and 1 other like this

#10 Linus

Linus

• 2,610 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

I think the Twins value Thorpe enough that they would not risk losing him. Stashak has been less than impressive this spring and would be a candidate for St. Paul to start the season.

This. Stashak should go down and keep Thorpe. At least long enough to give him one last chance.
  • wabene, rdehring, Jack and 1 other like this

#11 Shaitan

Shaitan

St Paul Saints

• 1,745 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:25 PM

The most recent TD roster projection had this bullpen:

Bullpen (9): Taylor Rogers, Tyler Duffey, Alex Colome, Jorge Alcala, Hansel Robles, Caleb Thielbar, Cody Stashak, Randy Dobnak, Shaun Anderson

So Thorpe could take Anderson's spot, unless you wanted it for Law. Thielbar has an option year remaining too.

Anderson was sent down already https://www.mlb.com/...-devin-smeltzer

• Danchat likes this

#12 dbminn

dbminn

Wichita Wind Surge

• 904 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:37 PM

Dobnak and Thorpe will both be on the roster to start the season. They need two long relievers/spot starters. Stashak is probably the one to be optioned to AAA. 

• Doctor Gast likes this

#13 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 05:15 PM

Anderson was sent down already https://www.mlb.com/...-devin-smeltzer

Yup, that's what I mean -- if we use that projection as a template, then there's already an open spot for Thorpe.

• Shaitan likes this

#14 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 23 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

Dobnak and Thorpe will both be on the roster to start the season. They need two long relievers/spot starters. Stashak is probably the one to be optioned to AAA.

Totally agree I was going write the same thing. I hope Baldelli thinks the same. We really need 2 long relief pitchers especially in the beginning. Maybe even piggyback
  • dbminn and rdehring like this

#15 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 05:35 PM

Very fair, but the Twins are contenders. Are we going to actually miss Thorpe? Most of his optimism comes from him being a lefty, not his arsenal in any way.

Thorpe being on the team makes the Twins worse. I'd rather have Dobnak on the team now then worry about the chance of Thorpe being a 4 or 5 starter in 2 years.

I see your point and I don't know what we have in Thorpe yet to be honest.Is he the no control walk batters and give up the big hit pitcher or is he back to competent 5th starter and maybe more.It is too early to tell that is why that 4th option year would have been nice.  

The Twins are so thin on lefties though I don't think they can afford to try and trade him or just lose him.We'll see what happens but I think they keep him for now and see how he performs.

• wabene, rdehring and Doctor Gast like this

#16 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,307 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:22 PM

Happ got a late start and has only pitched twice, including going only three (not very effective) innings on Sunday. He's only got time for two more spring starts. It seems quite plausible that he'll start the season with a short IL stint, freeing up a spot (and a start) for someone.

• Dman and Doctor Gast like this

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:01 PM

I actually think he’s claimed pretty readily. His velocity is back and he’s left-handed. That’s basically the easiest roster stash of all time.
  • Twins33, nicksaviking, dbminn and 3 others like this

#18 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 07:21 AM

Update:

Still no word about Thorpe, but the Cubs allegedly *have* been granted a 4th option year for Adbert Alzolay:

https://www.mlbtrade...gue-option.html

Alzolay's case looks very similar to Thorpe's. Both debuted stateside in 2013, both used their 3 minor league options in 2018-2020, and both pitched in MLB in 2019-2020.

The two players do have a few differences:

- Thorpe signed a year earlier (2012) although he didn't pitch in the Twins org that year

- Thorpe pitched a bit professionally with the Melbourne Aces in Australia in 2012-2013 while under contract with the Twins (Alzolay was apparently assigned to the Venezuelan winter league in 2014 but I couldn't find any source confirming he actually pitched there, he's not listed in their stats at B-Ref or mlb.com)

- Thorpe has a bit more credited service time to date, 137 days vs 50 days per B-Ref

None of these differences technically matter in determining a 4th option year by the rule book, but perhaps they might matter to an arbitrator, when deciding how to weigh the shortened 2020 season?

• Dman and Doctor Gast like this

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,804 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:22 AM

And now we have learned that Thorpe will have a fourth option year. 

• spycake, Dman, dbminn and 2 others like this

#20 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:39 AM

Yea! But in the end I think there's no big deal.