Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

.624 OPS Spring

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Thebigalguy

Thebigalguy

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 92 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:47 AM

I don't worry about spring stats. I do worry about the new hitting coach and whether he's capable of addressing each player's tendencies and straightening them out when they need his assistance.

#82 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Wichita Wind Surge

• 531 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 03:11 PM

Twins go 1-21 in 7 innings against the Pirates today, a lead off single by Arraez in the 1st.

The Bumba Squad.

• h2oface and Danchat like this

#83 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,472 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:20 PM

People saying they are not worried..... at least a little bit? I don't believe them for a second.:th_alc:

#84 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 6,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:53 PM

People saying they are not worried..... at least a little bit? I don't believe them for a second.:th_alc:

I'm definitely worried about Kepler, Sano, and Buxton. The rest should be alright. I think Sano sets the all-time strikeout record this year (by K%, not by total Ks).

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#85 Trov

Trov

Wichita Wind Surge

• 874 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:50 PM

Spring numbers never worry me.I used to put stock in spring numbers and would get excited for some guys only to watch them fall flat on face once season started.Just as I would also freak out that guys were having bad springs then would take off once season starts.There are many reasons for spring numbers that we as observers will never know.  

One, the sample size is so small that two good games and numbers increase a ton.Two, players may be trying to work on some specific things that may affect their performance.For example, if a player is working on tracking pitches they may take some early pitches that they normally would swing at and hit.Possibly a hitter may be working on trying to beat a shift, or drive pitches opposite field, or other things.  

Once the season starts we will see how they do.If in a week or two our offense is bottom of the league then I will start to worry, but until then I will just chalk it up to being spring training. 

• Brock Beauchamp and Squirrel like this

#86 mike8791

mike8791

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 143 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:35 PM

Flash!Final ST #s in!Twins win the trifecta.Dead last(out of 30) in BA, OBP, OPS.

To top it off, we have 5 regulars under the Mendoza Line:

Garver - .172

Sano - .159

Simmons - .138

Buxton - .135

Kepler - .070

I know pitchers use ST to experiment with tweaks in their arsenal but I thought hitters use ST for getting ready for the regular season.Let's hope these above results are quickly forgotten.The stench is pretty bad!

• LA VIkes Fan and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#87 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,270 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:27 PM

Flash!Final ST #s in!Twins win the trifecta.Dead last(out of 30) in BA, OBP, OPS.

To top it off, we have 5 regulars under the Mendoza Line:

Garver - .172

Sano - .159

Simmons - .138

Buxton - .135

Kepler - .070

I know pitchers use ST to experiment with tweaks in their arsenal but I thought hitters use ST for getting ready for the regular season.Let's hope these above results are quickly forgotten.The stench is pretty bad!

I guess I'd be more worried if these guys were all ready to fall off a cliff, but given their ages, I don't think it is that likely. Simmons is 31, Garver 30, Kepler 28, Sanó and Buxton 27. 

I'm worried that Buxton and Sanó will never be perennial All-Stars for the Twins and that Kepler hasn't stayed consistent to date, but they are good players and if they don't hit the team probably won't be very good. They are invested in those players.

#88 twinkies8791

twinkies8791

GCL Twins

• 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:22 AM

All season keep an eye on when Sano has two strikes how many times will he not strikeout.  When Santana pitched for us when he would get two strikes on a hitter great chance he strikes out.  Sano when he has two strikes....... :banghead:

#89 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 2,002 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:26 AM

Like the lineup today. Arraez should lead off. Drop Cruz in at #3 or #4 when we're back to the DH and everyone is where they should be - Sano at #5, Kepler at #6 (and that can switch based on the other team's pitching), Catcher at #7, Buxton 8 and Simmons 9. It bunches the 4 guys that actually inspire confidence at the plate in Arraez, Donaldson, Polanco and Cruz. Also lets us drop in bench players or call ups in the back half of the order if Sano or Kepler don't perform or need days off, etc. And even better, keeps Cave on the bench where he belongs as a 4th/5th OF playing 2 maybe 3 times a week and subbing in for defense in LF in games where we're ahead and the batting order is right. 

Finally, time for the fun to start. Play Ball!