Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

.624 OPS Spring

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Azviking101

Azviking101

GCL Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 11:15 PM

Anyone else worried about this lack of hits so far in spring? Dead last in team OPS. Spring is spring but .624 is putrid.
Most starts have averages in the .100s
In 2019 before the record season they had a .832 OPS. Everything about this offense went to the toilet after Rowson left.

I can’t help but be really worried about the offense this year. Donaldson and Cruz will be fine, but guys like Kepler, Polanco, Garver, Sano, really worry me.
  • h2oface, Pius Jefferson, weinshie and 6 others like this

#2 shimrod

shimrod

• 151 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 05:21 AM

I've seen only a couple of the spring training broadcasts, but it looks to me as though the players are swinging for the fences on every pitch they don't take. I've seen some hard hit outs and a lot of swing and miss. If the ball is actually softer this year that strategy may not be a winner. 

• mikelink45 likes this

#3 big dog

big dog

• 3,225 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:28 AM

Twins hitters are getting fewer ABs than hitters on a lot of other teams, which may have something to do with a poor performance (I'd prefer to call it a slow start). I checked OPS stats for those with a qualifying # of plate appearances.

Matt Carpenter, .330

Tim Anderson, .481

Nolan Arenado, .523

Michael Brantley, .609

Trea Turner, .615

Jose Abreu, .641

Marcus Semien, .647

Justin Turner, .655

None of the Twins are on the list. Hopefully when they start getting more and regular ABs the bats will pick up. Seems like a reasonable thing to expect, anyway.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,270 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:50 AM

Spring doesn't count and hitters as a rule are far more reliable and predictable than pitchers. That said, yeah it seems time that the bats start producing. I worry most about Sanó and Buxton. 

• mikelink45, Dman, Dakota Diver and 1 other like this

#5 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

2020 was a terrible year, I think it'll take a little extra time for them to find their rhythm. But they will all come around eventually.

#6 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:50 AM

Anyone else worried about this lack of hits so far in spring? Dead last in team OPS. Spring is spring but .624 is putrid.
Most starts have averages in the .100s
In 2019 before the record season they had a .832 OPS. Everything about this offense went to the toilet after Rowson left.

I can’t help but be really worried about the offense this year. Donaldson and Cruz will be fine, but guys like Kepler, Polanco, Garver, Sano, really worry me.

The Twins appear to be all about hard hit rate which somewhat correlates to the harder a player hits the ball the greater the OPS.I am starting to have my doubts about that theory though because when players sell out for power they tend to hit everything pull side and the shift can kill them as they generally only use half the field.Also with the ball being more dead you lose the HR's that power those hard hit rate OPS stats.  

Honestly I think it would be beneficial for guys to try and go Opo more often.If they don't and can't hit HR's I think it is going to be a long year for our hitters.Hopefully the Twins adjust and bats get better.

• mikelink45, KFEY93 and BeatTheRich like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,356 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 09:10 AM

Since I’ve learned the hard way that great spring training stats rarely correlate to regular season stats, I have to assume the opposite is also true. Oh Ryan LaMarre, what could have been.....

It’s been awhile so forgive me if I’ve forgotten it, but I’m pretty sure we are still waiting to see Kirby Puckett’s first career Spring Training hit. I believe every year, the last week of March was reserved for Minnesota sports writers to declare that his career appeared over.
  • Danchat, Bickle19, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#8 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,981 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 21 March 2021 - 09:17 AM

I’ll start worrying toward the end of April.
  • Brock Beauchamp, BD57, Danchat and 6 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#9 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 647 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 10:31 AM

Spring doesn't count and hitters as a rule are far more reliable and predictable than pitchers. That said, yeah it seems time that the bats start producing. I worry most about Sanó and Buxton. 

So why is it that people who say Spring Training hitting stats don't count are also gushing over fantastic Spring Training pitching numbers?

Are not the two connected?

• h2oface, Hosken Bombo Disco and KFEY93 like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,806 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:52 AM

At least the B squad is scoring some runs today...
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#11 Azviking101

Azviking101

GCL Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 01:24 PM

And just like that some good numbers today. No clue what’s up with Kepler though. He hasn’t gotten a hit since March 2
  • Clare, mikelink45, Dman and 1 other like this

#12 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 2,002 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:08 PM

I know it’s too early to worry, but you really have to wonder about a couple of guys. Kepler in particular. Frankly, outside of 2019 he has never been even a league average hitter for an outfielder. I love the guy and I think he can be a decent complementary piece on a good team, not one of the main offensive cogs, but he looks really bad this spring. Yes his defense in the outfield really helps, but he is looking more and more like a guy that hits 7th or 8th, not In the front half of the order. I know he gets a lot of love on this board for reasons frankly no one has ever made very clear, but he’s the guy to be worried about.

On the other hand, Austidillo has been raking. Maybe he will make the team out of spring training after all. I’m not one of his biggest fans but maybe I’m wrong.

Bottom line is that it is spring training. Let’s check back in five or six weeks.
  • jun and mikelink45 like this

#13 raindog

raindog

• 417 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:10 PM

They’re 29th in team BABIP this spring. They’ll be ok. 

Edit: Although, dead last in walks by a fair margin is a bit concerning. 

#14 jkcarew

jkcarew

St Paul Saints

• 2,040 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 03:22 PM

Twins have key players whose offensive value is very dependent upon fly balls going over the fence. Low BA/OBP guys. If they’re not hitting doubles and home runs, when they put the ball in play, they’re going to be offensive liabilities. Not going to win a championship waiting for Kepler, Sano, Buxton to turn into high BA/OBP players. Meanwhile, a couple of the key guys you’re counting on to balance some of that with some OBP or BA...like Donaldson and Cruz, Kirilloff...have obvious risk/issues. So, fair to be concerned given the potential difference in the ball, and also given results thus far this spring. Panic, no. Concern, yes.

• Clare, jun, mikelink45 and 1 other like this

#15 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 2,002 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

Concern is the perfect word. This is a team built of players that may be better when the ball is juiced then when it is dead as it will be for this season. It’s really critical that we find another high OBP Type and that Arraez gets a lot of at bats with regular playing time. It is also possible that Polanco will be able to move his OBP back up to the .350 level it was in 2018 and 2019. I was hoping Kirilloff would be a high OBP guy In the front half of the order, but after his spring training I think he will be applying his skills in St. Paul for a while before he gets any regular chance with the big club. I just wish they would try Arraez in LF more because I really think we’re going to need his on base skills in the batting order.

Bottom line is that MLB is making changes that may change the offensive game back to the way it was with multiple hits and away from the high power/high strike out game that was beginning to turn off fans. I just hope that we don’t put out the offense from three years ago in an era they disfavors that offense.
  • KFEY93 likes this

#16 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 07:58 AM

I've seen only a couple of the spring training broadcasts, but it looks to me as though the players are swinging for the fences on every pitch they don't take. I've seen some hard hit outs and a lot of swing and miss. If the ball is actually softer this year that strategy may not be a winner. 

Thats been their entire MO since September of 2019. Theres no competitive at bats or looking to square up the ball and get a solid hit. Just looking for homers. 

• weinshie and mikelink45 like this

#17 Bickle19

Bickle19

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 53 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:08 AM

Reading the comments on this website you would forget that the Twins have played at basically a 100 win pace for 2 years straight. 

• Brock Beauchamp, Danchat, kenbuddha and 2 others like this

#18 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:17 AM

And just like that some good numbers today. No clue what’s up with Kepler though. He hasn’t gotten a hit since March 2

He cant spread the ball around. He hits into the shift literally every at bat. Did that almost the entirety of last year. When was the last time he got a hit to left field? 

#19 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:25 AM

Reading the comments on this website you would forget that the Twins have played at basically a 100 win pace for 2 years straight. 

And whats that % in the play offs...when things like this actually matter? Yeah, thats what I thought. 

• jud6312 likes this

#20 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 272 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:26 AM

If it is true that the Twins are always "swinging for the fences" while knowing the MLB deadened the ball this year, it's going to be a depressing season. 

You can bet that a key team in the East is adjusting. Let's see if the Twins can adjust too.

• KFEY93 likes this