Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cleveland players violate isolation protocol. Again.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:44 PM

https://www.startrib...ions/600031477/

My only comment is that you can't fix stupid.

• gunnarthor, Craig Arko and BeatTheRich like this

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,657 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 09:29 PM

Perhaps there's something awry in the Cleveland culture. Francona's time has perhaps passed by.

• Nine of twelve likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#3 big dog

big dog

• 3,225 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:28 AM

Francona appeared to spin the multiple violations as happening because the Indians are enforcing the rules. Oh, that must be it.

• tarheeltwinsfan and Nine of twelve like this

#4 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,536 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:06 AM

I think 81-game suspensions and no playoffs for the both of them and Francona would be fair.:D

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,171 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:29 AM

for the record, rumor here in Cleveland is that Ohio will be going maskless soon. 

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:29 AM

I think 81-game suspensions and no playoffs for the both of them and Francona would be fair.:D

ha ... yeah ...

The bottom line for me in this is these were rules set out by MLB and MLBPA. These rules were agreed to by both entities. Even if a handful might not like the rules, they are still the rules in place for their employment, so ... whatever discipline is taken is warranted ... although I don't think it will be an 81-game suspension. :)

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#7 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,612 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:56 AM

Do you think they "self-reported" because they suddenly realized that they had violated league rules and they did not want to endanger the other players and staff? Or did they "self-report" because they got caught? It reminds me of some of my clients who tell the judge that they are sorry, when what they really mean is that they are sorry they got caught. I don't know, I wasn't there. Just wondering. 

• gunnarthor, woolywoolhouse and Nine of twelve like this

#8 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:00 AM

Do you think they "self-reported" because they suddenly realized that they had violated league rules and they did not want to endanger the other players and staff? Or did they "self-report" because they got caught? It reminds me of some of my clients who tell the judge that they are sorry, when what they really mean is that they are sorry they got caught. I don't know, I wasn't there. Just wondering.

Probably both. Social media is out there so they probably self-reported because they knew they would get caught?
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:20 AM

Cleveland had 0 cases of Covid last year and heading into this year with their players. A culture problem? Dohkay.

• biswrest likes this

#10 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:23 AM

Cleveland had 0 cases of Covid last year and heading into this year with their players. A culture problem? Dohkay.

I don't think the OP was referring to number of cases, but referring to number of players breaking the rules. However one feels about what's put into place, and obviously some members don't think much of them, they were still rules agreed to by the players' association. 

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:32 AM

I don't think the OP was referring to number of cases, but referring to number of players breaking the rules. However one feels about what's put into place, and obviously some members don't think much of them, they were still rules agreed to by the players' association. 

These rules put in place will most likely be revised soon, because states are opening up, and vaccines for the general population are on the way. 

#12 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:37 AM

These rules put in place will most likely be revised soon, because states are opening up, and vaccines for the general population are on the way. 

My guess is the season will begin with the protocols still in place and limited capacity, but will open up as the vaccinations role out to the players and the general public. But that's not the point. The point is these are the rules right now, whether or not any of us agrees with them. And these players flaunted them, again. 

Edit to add: But, honestly, I doubt they will see much of a 'punishment' anyway.

#13 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,469 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:03 PM

Agreed upon rules....... ya but..... unwritten rules rule, eh? Right? No?

Nobody better be speeding.

Does removing a mandate mean the same as maskless?

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,657 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:25 PM

The organizational cover-up regarding Mickey Callaway is sickening. This same thing happened last year. Rumors have swirled in circles for years about Cleveland trainers doing "something extra" for their pitchers, and three notable pitchers break down upon leaving the organization, which is not pure evidence, but it's also not pure coincidence, either. There's a culture within the organization of keeping the things that they do that are outside the bounds of the rules inside their org, and that can be a very dangerous environmental structure to have.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#15 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,469 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 March 2021 - 01:32 AM

The organizational cover-up regarding Mickey Callaway is sickening. This same thing happened last year. Rumors have swirled in circles for years about Cleveland trainers doing "something extra" for their pitchers, and three notable pitchers break down upon leaving the organization, which is not pure evidence, but it's also not pure coincidence, either. There's a culture within the organization of keeping the things that they do that are outside the bounds of the rules inside their org, and that can be a very dangerous environmental structure to have.

Well these are accusations that, depending upon how many "for years" you are accusing them, ties Falvey into the whole thing, no? Seems a bit reckless to just throw something like this out there....... 

• Vanimal46 and KirbyDome89 like this

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:15 AM

What on Earth does this have to do with how Cleveland enforces Covid protocols?
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

#17 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,978 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:16 AM

Please keep this to topic. Start a new discussion if you want to. But also please be careful with accusations without substantiation.

• woolywoolhouse likes this