Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article about Dozier learning Spanish

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,636 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:28 PM

This is a really nice article about Brian Dozier learning Spanish in order to communicate better with his teammates.

https://www.washingt...anish-baseball/

A couple of select quotes:

• “I think we, as Americans, need to take it upon ourselves to say, ‘Hey, these guys are going to be playing for a championship just like us, and you need real camaraderie to make that happen, and in order to have that, we need to take it upon ourselves to learn Spanish,’ ” Dozier said.
  • During one of his offseasons in the minors, he played winter ball in Venezuela. Around that same time, he met Eduardo Escobar, who was new to the Twins organization. They didn’t know they’d play seven years together. Still, they made a decision: make each other better. “I taught him English,” Dozier said. “He taught me a lot of Spanish, just how to communicate day-in and day-out and stuff like that. I took it upon myself to start reading books on planes and bus rides just to kind of teach myself more. And then obviously the best way to learn it is being around it every day and actually using it.”

One of those things many of us never knew about how players interact off the field and how they influence each other. I wish there were more articles like this one!

• Squirrel, nicksaviking, adjacent and 10 others like this

Triples are more fun than home runs; stolen bases are more fun than strikeouts; singles are more fun than walks.

#2 rickybeathard

rickybeathard

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:44 PM

Dope. Love reading stories about this. One of the reasons I find modern baseball so interesting. 

• Squirrel, bighat and Nine of twelve like this

#3 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,885 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:18 PM

I remember reading stories about his learning Spanish, didn’t know it also involved a pact with Esco to make each other better.
  • Twins33, bighat and Nine of twelve like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#4 nclahammer

nclahammer

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 160 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:29 AM

This makes me even more of a Brian Dozier fan, and I'm already a big one. Nothing but class from #2.

• Longdistancetwins and bighat like this

#5 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 205 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:19 AM

I would really like to see Dozier return to the Twins in some kind of on-field coaching/managing role.

• adjacent likes this

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,885 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:11 AM

I would really like to see Dozier return to the Twins in some kind of on-field coaching/managing role.

Maybe he can organize a language instruction class to teach English-only speakers how to speak Spanish :)

• Craig Arko, USNMCPO, PDX Twin and 1 other like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#7 rdehring

rdehring

St Paul Saints

• 2,344 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:16 PM

Should his next stop be coaching, being able to speak Spanish will be a big plus.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#8 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,707 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:23 AM

Maybe he can organize a language instruction class to teach English-only speakers how to speak Spanish :)

And he could start with Dan Gladden.

#9 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,707 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:43 AM

If I were running a major league franchise I would make Spanish language classes a mandatory part of the job, with pay, for all employees who are not able to communicate in Spanish. The goal would be to have almost every employee able to communicate in Spanish, but at the very least there should be someone in every department who is fluent. This applies not just to baseball operations. It would benefit the organization to have fluent Spanish users in the legal department, in the sales and marketing department, in the public relations department, and so on.

• denarded likes this

#10 jctwins

jctwins

• 446 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:52 PM

If I were running a major league franchise I would make Spanish language classes a mandatory part of the job, with pay, for all employees who are not able to communicate in Spanish. The goal would be to have almost every employee able to communicate in Spanish, but at the very least there should be someone in every department who is fluent. This applies not just to baseball operations. It would benefit the organization to have fluent Spanish users in the legal department, in the sales and marketing department, in the public relations department, and so on.

So much this.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,422 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:39 AM

Both English and Spanish lessons for those who need each. More communication is better all around for everyone.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#12 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,707 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:45 AM

Both English and Spanish lessons for those who need each. More communication is better all around for everyone.

Thanks for pointing out the oversight in my post. Yes, I agree that it's to everyone's benefit to have as many bilingual employees as possible.

#13 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 571 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:16 PM

Doesn’t Andrelton Simmons speak four or five???