Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Report from The Fort: Leading Questions

luis arraez rocco baldelli max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,639 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:54 AM

here's the thing, unless Kiriloff becomes all World, all of a sudden, then teams with elite closers like maybe Chicago, or the Brewers, or whoever has an outstanding closer will shut down Cruz(yes i love him but...), Sano, Buxton, Simmons, and or Garver and Jeffers. This young man is part of getting to the next level. I know you want Thad Levine's job but some things are constants in major league baseball...we are on the right track but the learning curve, very unfortunately is determined by your heroes in the front iffice. not by us

The disconnect here is not that I want Thad Levine's job, I have had that job and Falvey's job, just in a different industry. They are not my hero. They are peers which is why I don't appreciate the constant references the FO being "boneheads". It's not hero worship. I am just certain the guy that does not get it is you.

• Channing1964 likes this

#22 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,328 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:10 AM

I like Arraez and Polanco splitting the duties except when Polanco's ankle is healthy he's better from the left side. I don't think we have the righty bat that projects to a lead off role. Buxton is not that guy, at least not now. Taking all that into consideration I like Kepler at 4 and Arraez and Polanco leading off.

#23 REPETE

REPETE

• 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:11 PM

I’m an advocate of piling your three best hitters into the top of the lineup to accumulate the most PAs throughout the season. Like many, I don’t believe in old philosophy of #1 gets on base, #2 moves him over, #3-5 are your mashers.

As good as he is, it’s hard for me to justify giving the most PAs (lead off spot) to a guy that may not hit a ball over the fence in 2021 (Arraez).

That said, if Kepler and Polanco don’t return to form, not sure who else fits. Buxton would be ideal if he can stay healthy. The way he’s been accumulating extra bases - slugging over .500 when on the field the last 2 years, an unreal .577 last year - he’d look great at the top of the lineup.

The trouble with that philsophy is what we saw last year:a bunch of solo home runs.Dingers are great, but as Bert (so often) told us, solo HRs aren't going to beat you.We need some guys on base for the mashers, to make those 3 run dingers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: luis arraez, rocco baldelli, max kepler