Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Simmons has visa issues

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 638 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 12:47 PM

Per multiple sources, new Minnesota Twins shortstop Andrelton Simmons has been delayed to the team's camp by visa issues. The exact details are unclear at the moment, though manager Rocco Baldelli described it as "travel-related"- saying that it could take a few days to resolve.

Sounds too much like what was said of Fernando Romero's absence last spring when it was reported that "He is still in the Dominican Republic as he sorts out visa/immigration issues."

Boy do I hope I'm overreacting...

• nclahammer and Channing1964 like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#2 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,884 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:16 PM

It actually doesn't sound at all like Romero's situation. Romero was actually on his way and was stopped at customs/immigration and was not allowed in and sent back home. It wasn't a visa issue, at least from how it all unfolded. Visa issues with ball players are not uncommon. But, yeah ... hope it gets resolved quickly.

• Twins33, raindog, Danchat and 5 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#3 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,143 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:26 PM

This year it looks like a league wide problem.  Profar and Albert have been mentioned. Every year there are some players delayed. 

• Channing1964 likes this

#4 sdangus

sdangus

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 139 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:43 PM

i wonder if it has something to do with COVID protocols?

#5 baul0010

baul0010

GCL Twins

• 38 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:11 PM

It actually doesn't sound at all like Romero's situation. Romero was actually on his way and was stopped at customs/immigration and was not allowed in and sent back home. It wasn't a visa issue, at least from how it all unfolded. Visa issues with ball players are not uncommon. But, yeah ... hope it gets resolved quickly.

Didn't Romero trying bringing Marijuana into the US? Or something dumb like that?

• Puckett34 and Danchat like this

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,884 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:23 PM

Didn't Romero trying bringing Marijuana into the US? Or something dumb like that?

I don't know what it was, but yeah, was a dumb move, and was different than the usual visa problems that many ball players face.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#7 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,560 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:10 PM

I'm just cynical enough to expect "visa problems" for veteran players magically happen to last about a week.

• jkcarew and Doctor Gast like this

Sarcasm. Just one of the many fine services I offer.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:39 PM

There's really no reason to be worried about it at this point. They've given no reason, but they've said all teh same things they said with Albers and Albers has now arrived. I'm sure it's just a 'visa' issue...

• Danchat, Ben Noble, Greglw3 and 1 other like this

#9 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 571 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:09 PM

Royce Lewis out all year with ACL tear. Andrelton Simmons stuck in the Dutch Antilles. Polanco has been moved to 2B. The Nick Gordon era begins.
  • baul0010 likes this

#10 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,831 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:55 AM

Correct. Got caught with weed at customs and basically got blackballed from entering the country after that. This has been reported by reliable sources, not just amjgt on Twins Daily :)

• Squirrel and bighat like this

#11 Shaitan

Shaitan

St Paul Saints

• 1,729 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:59 AM

i wonder if it has something to do with COVID protocols?

Exactly. The exact reason isn't confirmed, but travel isn't exactly easy these days. And international, visa-related travel wasn't easy to begin with. And a new presidential administration with changing policies at the same time. Perfect storm.

#12 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:19 AM

The same thing happened with a bunch of NHL players. If they didn't have a contract early enough, they had no basis for a work visa so they couldn't apply. Once they signed a contract they could apply for a work visa which takes time to work through the system. I would venture a guess that us what is happening with Simmons.

• AceWrigley and sdangus like this

#13 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 638 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:15 PM

There's really no reason to be worried about it at this point. They've given no reason, but they've said all teh same things they said with Albers and Albers has now arrived. I'm sure it's just a 'visa' issue...

I sure hope you are right Seth. 

Just a bit gun-shy with what happened to Romero last spring (his situation did not seem like a big deal when it was FIRST reported last spring) plus adding Simmons issues at the end of last season.

Will be very relieved when he actually arrives...

#14 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 1,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:23 PM

Correct. Got caught with weed at customs and basically got blackballed from entering the country after that. This has been reported by reliable sources, not just amjgt on Twins Daily :)

Should've told them it was medicinal for his cataracts. Honestly, as hard as it was for him to find the plate at times, maybe it was his eyes.

• gil4 likes this

#15 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 638 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:18 PM

Should've told them it was medicinal for his cataracts. Honestly, as hard as it was for him to find the plate at times, maybe it was his eyes.

I did notice that no one has signed him yet.

Another example that K/9 is NOT the only measure of a good pitcher as Romero's 11.9 K/9 in 2019 would have many on this board drooling...

#16 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• 233 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

I did notice that no one has signed him yet.

Another example that K/9 is NOT the only measure of a good pitcher as Romero's 11.9 K/9 in 2019 would have many on this board drooling...

Romero is set to play in Japan this year.

As to speculation around Simmons, it seems like there’s at least one MLB/MiLB player in the org every spring whose arrival is delayed due to visa issues, but Romero is the first Twins player that I can recall where the visa was straight denied due to attempting to enter the US with marijuana. Also, I believe that Simmons has been pretty open in stating that his issues at the end of last season were mental health-related, exacerbated by covid concerns, so I think it’s fair to assume that his visa issues are purely procedural.
  • Squirrel likes this

#17 Jacksson

Jacksson

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 180 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:03 PM

Are these "Visa issues" in pro sports more about the maturity and accountability of the players?

It's not like the actual dates of Spring Training were just established and finalized.

It's not like the fact thata Visa is required to enter the USA was just invented out of thin air.

The players have a signed contract to perform their jobs and getting in to the USA is a part of that contract.

If nothing else, the player's agent should be "babysitting" the players to ensure that all necessary paperwork to secure a Visa has been submitted and processed in a timely manner that allows the player to report to Spring Training when it is to begin.In fact, a player who is joining a new team should have extra desire to arrive at Spring Training EARLY to: forge a comradery with their new teammates, establish relationships with a new coaching staff, and to get situated and familiar with a new Spring Training site.

This continual, annual "Visa Issue" situation speaks to the lack of a player's maturity, motivation, desire and commitment.Each and every time this delay takes place should give organizations pause out of concern for the player's motivation..  

• Channing1964 likes this

#18 sdangus

sdangus

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 139 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:07 PM

The other thing is he is going to Florida this year. Other years he has entered in to Arizona. Maybe it took him a while to redo his paperwork.

#19 Shaitan

Shaitan

St Paul Saints

• 1,729 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:27 PM

Are these "Visa issues" in pro sports more about the maturity and accountability of the players?

It's not like the actual dates of Spring Training were just established and finalized.

It's not like the fact thata Visa is required to enter the USA was just invented out of thin air.

The players have a signed contract to perform their jobs and getting in to the USA is a part of that contract.

If nothing else, the player's agent should be "babysitting" the players to ensure that all necessary paperwork to secure a Visa has been submitted and processed in a timely manner that allows the player to report to Spring Training when it is to begin.In fact, a player who is joining a new team should have extra desire to arrive at Spring Training EARLY to: forge a comradery with their new teammates, establish relationships with a new coaching staff, and to get situated and familiar with a new Spring Training site.

This continual, annual "Visa Issue" situation speaks to the lack of a player's maturity, motivation, desire and commitment.Each and every time this delay takes place should give organizations pause out of concern for the player's motivation..  

It's the employer's job to secure a work visa, so a big flat no.

• Squirrel, flpmagikat and gbg like this

#20 jkcarew

jkcarew

St Paul Saints

• 2,009 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:51 PM

I'm just cynical enough to expect "visa problems" for veteran players magically happen to last about a week.

If only they could claim visa problems when the club asks them to move from Fort Myers to Minneapolis on the 29th of March.

• puckstopper1 and Channing1964 like this