Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cord cutters dilema 2021

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:13 PM

As Amesfan said, here in central IA (Des Moines for me) you can't even get FSN North on cable packages, or if it does happen to be available, its only in the Super Max Uber Sports Pack Deluxe+ that costs an extra $150 a month, on top of the normal $150 cable package. Yet, we're still in the MLB.TV blackout area for the Twins and five other teams (cuz MLB apparently doesn't want people in Iowa to watch any baseball).So we're literally left with no legal options here.

I sympathize with Iowa fans more than those in Minnesota, but you "literally" just described a legal option available to you in your own post! :)

FWIW, satellite TV is usually the best option for sports fans in Iowa. Looks like DirecTV with the Sports Pack to get FSN would average around $98 per month on 2-year contract (about $79/month the first year, then $116/month the 2nd year).

#22 chaderic20

chaderic20

• 112 posts
  • LocationWaukee, IA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:48 PM

I sympathize with Iowa fans more than those in Minnesota, but you "literally" just described a legal option available to you in your own post! :)

FWIW, satellite TV is usually the best option for sports fans in Iowa. Looks like DirecTV with the Sports Pack to get FSN would average around $98 per month on 2-year contract (about $79/month the first year, then $116/month the 2nd year).

Ah, you're one of those that always takes "literally" literally, instead of the commonly accepted usage for the past couple hundred years of using "literally" figuratively for emphasis, which I was obviously doing since, as you pointed out, I had just described an option. But, I digress...

Using DirectTV's RSN search by zip code tool, it says to get FSNorth in my zip code I have to get the Premier package, which requires a two-year commitment, starts at $135/month for first year, then goes up in the second, but doesn't say what to, but I'd guess $20 or $30 a month more. That means over the two year contract, let's say an average $150 per month. But, don't forget the $10 per month RSN fee, installation, taxes, fees, and equipment rental. All told, probably looking at $200+ per month for two years, which is closing in on $5,000 total at that point. So, is there literally an option, yes, but is there a realistic/sane option, no. Whereas, if MLB didn't have asinine blackout restrictions on MLB.TV, I could subscribe to that for two years for less than $250.

• Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan and adorduan like this

#23 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:25 PM

Ah, you're one of those that always takes "literally" literally, instead of the commonly accepted usage for the past couple hundred years of using "literally" figuratively for emphasis, which I was obviously doing since, as you pointed out, I had just described an option. But, I digress...

And you're one of those that doesn't recognize the meaning of a smiley emoji? :)

Using DirectTV's RSN search by zip code tool, it says to get FSNorth in my zip code I have to get the Premier package, which requires a two-year commitment, starts at $135/month for first year, then goes up in the second, but doesn't say what to, but I'd guess $20 or $30 a month more. That means over the two year contract, let's say an average $150 per month. But, don't forget the $10 per month RSN fee, installation, taxes, fees, and equipment rental. All told, probably looking at $200+ per month for two years, which is closing in on $5,000 total at that point. So, is there literally an option, yes, but is there a realistic/sane option, no.

It's confusing for sure, but I think that search tool you reference is only searching the channels offered in each base package. To get FSN in a base package in Iowa would indeed be expensive (as most Iowa base packages just have FS Midwest).

But, they also offer FSN in a "Sports Pack" for $14/month, and they say "You can add Sports Packages separately to any base programming package":

https://www.directv....rts/sports_pack

I went into their checkout process to get the numbers in my previous post, and installation, equipment, and fees were all included in the numbers I quoted.

#24 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 06:41 PM

Whereas, if MLB didn't have asinine blackout restrictions on MLB.TV, I could subscribe to that for two years for less than $250.

MLB.TV is an out-of-market viewing product, and is priced accordingly. It doesn't make sense to compare that price point to in-market offerings. Granted, there is an argument that Iowa shouldn't be in-market for the Twins, although at the same time, there does seem to be a fair number of Twins fans there! So I wouldn't expect Twins broadcasts to be sold as cheaply in Iowa as in, say, New Mexico, although I agree it would be nice to get them cheaper than they currently are.

For a little while, a couple years ago, Iowa actually had an advantage because a few streaming providers (YouTube TV, and before that, Playstation TV) gave you all of the overlapping RSNs. So for the same monthly cost as fans in Minnesota paid to just get FSN, Iowa fans could get FSN, FS Midwest, FS Wisconsin, and the Chicago channels. It actually made sense given the MLB.TV blackouts, and if not for Sinclair, it might still be in effect. Hopefully we'll get back to that someday, or maybe Sinclair will come up with a good direct offering in 2022.

• adorduan likes this

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,945 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:40 PM

They must have done the math, and realize that big money from sports cable companies is as big, and MUCH MORE predictable, than money from individuals in market. It sucks for sure......really sucks. 

• TheLeviathan and adorduan like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#26 flpmagikat

flpmagikat

• 136 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:08 PM

Without reading through everything again, what options have we come up with for Twin Cities residents with no cable? 

Sounds like FSN is not a channel you get with Hulu, YouTube tv, etc. I'm not signing up for a contract or probably even paying more than those services cost, since it would only be for baseball(and NHL playoffs when they start)

Am I back to just following the team in the boxscores and reading about what happens on this site? Thats pretty much what I did for years when living somewhat off the grid out of state. Bummer that that's what following baseball is to me now. 

• Doctor Gast likes this

#27 wsnydes

wsnydes

Abnormal, the new normal.

• 4,330 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:17 PM

Without reading through everything again, what options have we come up with for Twin Cities residents with no cable? 

Sounds like FSN is not a channel you get with Hulu, YouTube tv, etc. I'm not signing up for a contract or probably even paying more than those services cost, since it would only be for baseball(and NHL playoffs when they start)

Am I back to just following the team in the boxscores and reading about what happens on this site? Thats pretty much what I did for years when living somewhat off the grid out of state. Bummer that that's what following baseball is to me now. 

There's always the radio. A game is usually background noise for me anyway, so there's not much of a difference.

• flpmagikat likes this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#28 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:17 PM

AT&T TV still includes FSN. A little pricey compared to the other streaming services ($85), but it's month-to-month with no contract. (AT&T TV also offer a contract option, but personally I think it is a worse deal.) Supports up to 3 streams outside your home too, if you want to get creative...

• flpmagikat likes this

#29 Drew

Drew

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 92 posts
  • LocationAim low, aim so low that when you achieve your goal, even you will be disappointed. ~ Homer Simpson

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:19 PM

I just switched to AT&T from Hulu and really like it. $85 is ridiculous since we primarily watch baseball and the Wild and little else. But I have nothing better to do and the $4 million I saved by not drinking beer at bars in 2020 is burning a hole in my pocket.

• Squirrel, Twins33, flpmagikat and 4 others like this

#30 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 20 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

https://www.clevelan...ys-rebrand.html

Could it be, could it be? Stand alone streaming for the Twins? I would be very happy

#31 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 03:59 PM

https://www.clevelan...ys-rebrand.html

Could it be, could it be? Stand alone streaming for the Twins? I would be very happy

Unfortunately that article is a bit outdated. Since then, it has been announced that this service won’t be available until 2022 — and they’ve become rather coy about what they will be selling directly (it may not be access to all games):

https://thestreamabl...umer-until-2022

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:22 PM

Unfortunately that article is a bit outdated. Since then, it has been announced that this service won’t be available until 2022 — and they’ve become rather coy about what they will be selling directly (it may not be access to all games):

https://thestreamabl...umer-until-2022

I dislike Amazon but this is why I badly wanted to see the RSNs snapped up by them. They have the foresight to not get cute and just offer sports in a manner that caters to 21st century consumers of content.

Not only is the standalone app a gimme at this point, why can’t I pay anyone to watch the San Diego RSN? Why can’t I pay to watch three different RSNs?

So much money is being left on the table to cater to an old, broken model that people under 40 just don’t want anymore. And given how sports are generational, a lot of long term damage will be done if they keep it up with this nonsense. As it stands, I’ve stopped watching all sports except baseball because I can’t be bothered with this crap anymore.
  • Teflon, chaderic20, Musk21 and 1 other like this

#33 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 17,098 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 01:14 PM

Baseball is nothing if not good at prioritizing short term profit at the expense of sane planning to grow the game.
  • Brock Beauchamp, Mike Sixel and wsnydes like this

#34 Lucas

Lucas

• 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 02:38 PM

I've gone over all the options in my area (well, all the legal options I suppose), and I'm contemplating an Xfinity cable package or AT&T TV. The Xfinity cable package is about $60 per month (it would be bundled with my internet), but locks me into a 12 month commitment. AT&T TV appears to be about $85 per month, but with flexibility of being able to cancel as soon as the season is finished. I think I'll likely be going with AT&T TV. Has anyone actually used AT&T TV before? Does it stream well on a computer and on a phone? 

Also, I think AT&T TV allows 3 concurrent streams. Can anyone confirm that? If anyone is potentially interested in going in on this with me, send me a message. Might help to make it more affordable. 

#35 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 454 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:01 PM

AT&T TV still includes FSN. A little pricey compared to the other streaming services ($85), but it's month-to-month with no contract. (AT&T TV also offer a contract option, but personally I think it is a worse deal.) Supports up to 3 streams outside your home too, if you want to get creative...

So maybe the best option is to split the cost and login with 3 other people.$510 four ways is...@$130??

• Lucas likes this

#36 wsnydes

wsnydes

Abnormal, the new normal.

• 4,330 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:37 AM

I dislike Amazon but this is why I badly wanted to see the RSNs snapped up by them. They have the foresight to not get cute and just offer sports in a manner that caters to 21st century consumers of content.

Not only is the standalone app a gimme at this point, why can’t I pay anyone to watch the San Diego RSN? Why can’t I pay to watch three different RSNs?

So much money is being left on the table to cater to an old, broken model that people under 40 just don’t want anymore. And given how sports are generational, a lot of long term damage will be done if they keep it up with this nonsense. As it stands, I’ve stopped watching all sports except baseball because I can’t be bothered with this crap anymore.

Yeah, I've never understood the business premise of making your product harder to consume. That's especially true these days.

• Brock Beauchamp likes this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#37 spycake

spycake

• 18,666 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:01 AM

Has anyone actually used AT&T TV before? Does it stream well on a computer and on a phone? 

Also, I think AT&T TV allows 3 concurrent streams. Can anyone confirm that?

Yes, as I understand, you can sign in to AT&T TV from up to 20 devices at a time, and up to 3 of those devices can be connected from outside your home internet.

I think you can also use your AT&T TV credentials through the Fox Sports Go app (which will be rebranded for Bally on March 31st). If so, it wouldn't count toward your AT&T TV device limit (and you wouldn't have to deal with all of the AT&T TV content that you don't need/want).

I have heard of two relevant limitations of AT&T TV, but fortunately both have a workaround:

1. When watching live TV channels through the AT&T TV site/apps, you can't pause or rewind them.

2. Your access to live local networks (including Fox/Bally Sports North) is determined by the location you are signing in from, not your home location. (I think this applies to Fox Sports Go too.)

The workaround is for someone in the home location to schedule Twins games to record using the AT&T TV cloud DVR. You can watch DVR recordings in progress and they are not location-limited. The $85/month plan includes 20 hours of DVR which should be plenty for this purpose, and I think the oldest recordings are automatically removed to make room for new ones.

I've also heard the DVR is a little clunky for sports, so you have to schedule each game individually rather than being able to set a "series record" for them. Also, it doesn't automatically add extra time to games, so you should also schedule whatever shows are listed after each game in case the game runs long.

• Lucas likes this