Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Daily 2021 Top Prospects: #1 OF Alex Kirilloff

alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Darius

Darius

St Paul Saints

• 2,047 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:44 PM

The Twins are a 'class' organization, so I will say that I don't expect them to manipulate AK's service time. He may start at AAA, but if he does it will be because that is where his play this spring says is the best place for him to be.

I disagree.

The team doesn’t have a left fielder. They thought Kirilloff was good enough to start a playoff game. He’s one of the elite hitting prospects in the game.

It couldn’t be more clear that the only reason he isn’t starting opening day is to manipulate service time. He’s 23 years old and has been in the system for years. Anything he has to work isn’t fixed by facing inferior competition. You don’t learn to hit major league pitching in AAA. The team is not better with a utility guy who is defensively deficient and a .750 OPS in left field every day. Arraez should the utility man (and get plenty of ABs like Marwin). Kirilloff should be in left field every day.

#22 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• 233 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 25 February 2021 - 06:34 PM

I disagree.
The team doesn’t have a left fielder. They thought Kirilloff was good enough to start a playoff game. He’s one of the elite hitting prospects in the game.
It couldn’t be more clear that the only reason he isn’t starting opening day is to manipulate service time. He’s 23 years old and has been in the system for years. Anything he has to work isn’t fixed by facing inferior competition. You don’t learn to hit major league pitching in AAA. The team is not better with a utility guy who is defensively deficient and a .750 OPS in left field every day. Arraez should the utility man (and get plenty of ABs like Marwin). Kirilloff should be in left field every day.

But they called up Rooker ahead of Kirilloff, and I sincerely doubt they would’ve started Kirilloff in that lone playoff game if Rooker wasn’t injured. I’m a big believer in Kirilloff, but I also think the team would be totally justified in giving Rooker first crack at LF to start the season.
  • Twins33 likes this

#23 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,709 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

Our Rankings: 

Seth: 2

Nick: 1

Tom: 2

Cody: 1

Shouldn't there be a separate thread for how your contributors are ranked? ;)

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:14 PM

Shouldn't there be a separate thread for how your contributors are ranked? ;)

Sounds like a great idea for a blog!!

#25 rdehring

rdehring

St Paul Saints

• 2,344 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:20 AM

I disagree.

What did I say that you disagree with? Neither of us know how his spring will progress and whether or not he will be with the team on opening day. 

My comment was that I don't expect the Twins to base their decision of where he begins his year based on service time. Considering that the kid has yet to play his first game at the AAA level, it is possible some time at AAA would be best for his development. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff