Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Mayo Watched Salcedo, Sano

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

MLB.com's excellent writer Jonathan Mayo was able to watch some of the young Twins prospects play in a game this afternoon. He saw Adrian Salcedo pitch, and two of Miguel Sano's at bats. Check out his story to see why he wrote the following:

Maybe just take it as a reminder that he probably has a long way to go. Or, as that Twins exec mentioned above, said, “It will take time.”

#2 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 838 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Swing for the fences... I like it (even if it will take a few years for him to make it to the big leagues)

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

2 PAs and 2-3 IP. Extremely small sample sizes to make conclusions.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

No conclusions were made in the article.

#5 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Sano definitely takes a big cut, but with his body type, I don't think he should be doing anything else. Danny Ortiz absolutely blasted a ball beyond the second fence in one game we were watching on Wednesday, then on our way out, we took the shortcut through the parking lot back there to see if the ball was still around and there it was.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Sano definitely takes a big cut, but with his body type, I don't think he should be doing anything else. Danny Ortiz absolutely blasted a ball beyond the second fence in one game we were watching on Wednesday, then on our way out, we took the shortcut through the parking lot back there to see if the ball was still around and there it was.

Quick question about that, just out of curiocity: Was it an official MiLB ball, an official MLB ball or none of the above?
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

I enjoyed my brief Sano experience - he hit a triple off the end of his bat (right past the firstbaseman) and almost fell down. He certainly doesn't get cheated on his swing.

#8 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

It was an official MiLB ball

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#9 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Has anyone seen Rosario take a cutt recently? I think at times, his swing speed is crazy fast, like he's literally swinging out of his shoes.... I would bet money he swings harder/faster than Sano does. (i don't care for the crazy hard swings, hacks)

#10 shawntheroad

shawntheroad

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

sweet, always love getting reports like this.

#11 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I watched 5 or 6 Rosario at-bats while down at spring training. He does have a fast bat, but he didn't connect on anything all that well while I was watching. He's also built much more like Ben Revere than an Aaron Hicks, so the views that the HR power he showed at Elizabethton won't translate are probably correct, but there's still plenty of pop in there.

For your viewing pleasure, here's some video of a few Rosario at-bats (That's Justin Morneau on deck in case you were wondering): http://www.twitpic.com/95y5y3

He gets some better wood on the ball in this one: http://www.twitpic.com/95y8nh