Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Commission the rings now ... Twins sign Andrew Romine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:42 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...eague-deal.html

Seems redundant to Riddle, but I guess they need infield bodies.

#2 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,181 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

Not a bad signing, in my mind. If he makes the team, it allows Blankenhorn the opportunity to play every day in St. Paul, rather than riding the bench for the Twins. He also appears to be better defensively than Astudillo. 

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,170 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:41 PM

I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm kind of disappointed in this move. This all but guarantees the 26th man is going to have no bat, and if that guy isn't Astudillo, who might still be able fill the no-bat #2 utility infielder and no-bat #3 catcher roles simultaneously, than it guarantees that both the 25th and 26th man will have no bat.

I was really hoping they'd snag Jedd Gyrko, Danny Santana or Zack Cozart for this gig. None are consistent but they at least hold some optimism when it comes to standing at the plate. 

#4 Cornholio

Cornholio

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 61 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:28 PM

If he makes the team, he provides versatility that Blankenhorn, Gordon, Riddle or Lin don’t. He can play ss,  3b, or cf. After the super-two cutoff date, Lewis should come up to fill that role, and Romine will be expendable ( or perhaps Cave is expendable at that point).

#5 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 235 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:21 PM

Depth

#6 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,696 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:45 PM

I wish Gordon was better setup for this opportunity. We'll see how this all pans out!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#7 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 178 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:17 PM

Signed to a minor league deal.

#8 FritzDahmus

FritzDahmus

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:31 PM

Not a bad signing, in my mind. If he makes the team, it allows Blankenhorn the opportunity to play every day in St. Paul, rather than riding the bench for the Twins. He also appears to be better defensively than Astudillo. 

This allows the same thing [potentially] for Rooker. With Romine on the bench for the Major League club, both can play everyday in St. Paul -- instead of riding the bench in backup roles. Guys like Romine -- well, this is the Major League part of his game.

#9 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,217 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:34 PM

Assuming a 4 man bench, Jeffers, Arreaz and Cave are locks. I'd rather keep someone like Tortuga than another IF'er.